It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If your TV, computer, cell phone and all other electronics were taken away forever, how would you re

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
My answer: You would react like an alcoholic starved of booze, like a heroin addict without his fix, like a sex addict on an island of sand and nothing else, like a .... you get the idea.

I'm first in line. I would suffer major withdrawal. But maybe I would recover. And maybe I would be the better for it.

For thousands of years, our ancestors lived without this stuff that dominates our lives. How did they do it?

It's not all bad. It extends our understanding when we access information that informs rather than entertains. But mostly it keeps us focused on other than the present moment, and so it is mostly not a healthy thing, in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

It would suck but I wouldn't die. We would still have boardgames and d&d so I think I would manage.

As for the younger kids?

I fear for our safety.

Kallisti

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

While I may be a little disappointed at least I'll be able to socialize with people. Far too many people are using their electronics rather than socializing in the real world.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Good question. And it's one I often ask myself hypothetically. I think most of us would adapt after the initial shock to the system, but it's the younger ones I fear for as they do not know any other way of living.

I coached a soccer [football] team last year with the ages of 16-19. We made the Grand Final and just before the players went out for the Grand Final after receiving last minute instructions, 3 of the players were sitting there sending text messages.
When I told them in no uncertain terms what they could do with their phones, they just looked at me with a blank look and asked "what's the problem ?".

Everyday on my way to work, I see school kids sitting waiting for the bus. Not one of them are talking to anyone else, and all have there heads down typing and texting away. Do you know how funny it looks driving past 20 school kids and ALL of them have their heads buried in their phones.

But to be fair, I know of quite a few people my own age who would probably consider suicide if they couldn't update the Facebook status every 15 minutes. But maybe a loss phone and internet signal would be sort of like natures way of weeding out the weak minded ?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I would suffer withdrawal, but over time I think I would be better off. People would relearn what socializing really is about. Discussions with others would become more interesting as they become your only source of fresh content / information. Don't get me wrong I like my electronics and it gives humans access to tremendous amount of information but at the cost of social interactions and critical thinking. If Google has all your answers, then there's no point for your brain to retain anything except to ask Google. No point to learn how to calculate as your calculator is better and faster. I would really miss music. S+F

edit on 21-3-2014 by MrMaybeNot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   
We would be better off without all the technology we have today that we take for granted and in so many ways it's changing Humanity not for the better but for the worse. Our survival depends on it.

That is my honest opinion. Technology is our downfall because on the grand scale of things, Humanity is still in it's infancy age therefore we are not ready for technology we have today until we first learn the consequences.

Consequences, being how technology will effect us socially, morally, mentally, collectivelly and God knows how else it effects us because what I can see - many people are ignorant of how technology is shaping our future.

I know for a fact based on analytical reasoning and understanding of the human condition that it's only going to get worse in the future.

The good news is, there is still time fix things but would require a huge effort as a whole that needs to be brought to everyone's attention. How? Well the answer lies in how parents raises their children.

The future doesn't look good for Humanity.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

Exactly, technology is great but it enslaves us. We can't live without it anymore. We forgot how to.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I would probably go back to reading books.

As for society, well the crime rate would go back up. That's one thing many don't consider, the internet age has given people something to do at least.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Lmao OP sounds lime someone who has never lost power.

Id light a candle or 20 and sing while playing the guitar.

Neighbours hate that..

Go outdoors OP and see the moon... like a heroin addict lmao... you ipad baby

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I have a computer, that is it. I let my cell phone go because I wasn't getting my monies worth. I don't own a t.v.

I spend most of my time reading anyways, so nope, I would miss the internet due to never having lived near a decent library (mostly empty shelves) to look things up, but otherwise I would be just fine.

I would be more lost without books. I spend a lot of $ on books.
edit on 21-3-2014 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Nature its the perfect cure for great many things.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

I would live in peace and harmony.. nough said.

Tough S*** for the next generation as they destroy the lives around them.

I told my boss the other day if they want me to have a cell phone, they have to pay for ALL of it. Period. I still have a job

$300,00 a month I don't have to pay.

edit on 21-3-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Let's hope that that never happens. People would be forced to act like.... PEOPLE instead of mindless zombies! Interacting with each other directly, rather than remotely... Gasp! The horror!

As for the younger folks, it would probably be a godsend in the long run.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

Technology and an employment based society tend to contradict themselves once the technology reaches a certain level. We live in an employment based society, and if technology is replacing jobs at a quicker rate than what jobs are being created, then we reach the point we are at today.
Technology should be embraced, but not if it's costing us our employment. I have no problem with technology being used to help, or assist workers in a job or task, but if it's putting them out of a job altogether, then when does it stop ?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Celebrate .. am old enough to remember what life was like without most of the modern "conveniences"... it would be nice with them gone life would be better .. plus it would be entertaining watching the masses go through tech withdrawel..
edit on 21/3/14 by Expat888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

To sit back and watch that would be better than a modern movie IMO.

ohhh the terror!

BTW: That's why I own a revolver, I have a advantage. Most would not know how to operate. Gives me more options/leverage than a IPad or Iphone
edit on 21-3-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

I would play my acoustic guitar more. Start reading novels again. Spend even more time with the wife and kids.
Would take a couple of months to get used to but I would adapt eventually.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I would also suffer withdrawals to. I always use facebook, my ps4, and usually use the TV as background noise. But I rarely use my cell phone unless if I have to check what time it is. I make on average, 1 call a month, and maybe 3 texts a month to. I haven't used my house phone in over a year.

After about a week or 2, I think I would go back to doing stuff when I was a kid. Back then, I would go out in the woods, fish, camp, hunt, etc....(just going out an enjoying nature back then as a kid....and eating it to). I would go out an explore the wilderness in the area I live in. I would also get to know my neighbors more to.

It would suck at first, but I would adapt somewhat easily.

It may be a bit more boring, but humans have lived without electronics for the vast majority of the time we have been on this planet.
edit on 21-3-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Don't know about removal of the TV but as for the rest that's pretty much what happens if you get the jail possibly even forever depending on the crime commited.

Criminals seem to survive the process.
edit on 21-3-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

I wish that something like that would happen. I would be happy. No more cellphones at work, no more laptop.....ahhhhh, just good old elbow grease and your capacity to think.

I know that there are good sides to all this technology. You can go faster, so your boss expects you to do more in a day and he can track you anywhere you are. We can calculate things faster using tools that are not our own brains which makes us dumber. We stay seated all day which makes us weaker. We burn our eyeballs watching a screen all day.

I would only miss coming to ATS to bitch about technology.

edit on 21-3-2014 by bitsforbytes because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join