It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there intelligence without wisdom?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   

DarksideOz
..."Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. ...

But - don't 'fruits' grow on trees...and not...vines?
Hmmm... What a dilemma.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I've read that intelligence is knowing the right answer, but wisdom is asking the right question. And seeing how in many cases, seeing the answer often prompts more questions, perhaps intelligence does aid wisdom. But sometimes, there is also wisdom in knowing when the question isn't necessary because the answer isn't either.
edit on 21-3-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
There is no difference. "Intelligent" and "wise" are adjectives describing the same thing. But there is no such thing as "wisdom" or "intelligence". They both don't exist, therefor, they are both the same.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Aphorism

Interesting, can you elaborate more?

What is it about them that doesnt exist?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

They exist as words, to be sure, but they are adjectives. The only thing that exists is what they are describing. When we see "wisdom", we don't see wisdom, but we see someone we think is being wise.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Aphorism
There is no difference. "Intelligent" and "wise" are adjectives describing the same thing. But there is no such thing as "wisdom" or "intelligence". They both don't exist, therefor, they are both the same.

Would you say a dog is "intelligent" or "wise"? What makes the difference?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I would say a dog is intelligent, insofar as I was describing the dog, and not anything called intelligence.

I read your question wrong. I would say being wise is the outward expression of being intelligent.
edit on 21-3-2014 by Aphorism because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Aphorism

I would say a dog is intelligent, insofar as I was describing the dog, and not anything called intelligence.

I read your question wrong. I would say being wise is the outward expression of being intelligent.
edit on 21-3-2014 by Aphorism because: (no reason given)

Would you say a thief is wise? Or a psychopath?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Aphorism
reply to post by onequestion

They exist as words, to be sure, but they are adjectives. The only thing that exists is what they are describing. When we see "wisdom", we don't see wisdom, but we see someone we think is being wise.

An example of wisdom. When it comes to intangible concepts like wisdom and truth and beauty, all we can ever see are examples of them, wisdom and truth and beauty in motion.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

An example of wisdom. When it comes to intangible concepts like wisdom and truth and beauty, all we can ever see are examples of them, wisdom and truth and beauty in motion.

Such are all qualities and qualia. The only thing we can ever discuss in their regard is the object performing the motion and how we experience it. I agree.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

onequestion
Is there intelligence without wisdom?

Of course.
If you would like an example look at the world and you can see first hand intelligence (applied to technology) without wisdom.
Weapons of our own destruction, high tech to spy on everyone, a CIA that if you understand it the name" an intelligence agency" is an oxymoron. Intelligence that applies torture to prisoners that is ineffective in gaining reliable information by their own admission. "Preemptive" invasions of countries which is like your child saying" I punched him because he might punch me". I could go on, but if you apply your own wisdom to this question I don't need to.

edit on 21-3-2014 by BDBinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by Grimpachi

They are both variations of "knowing"? They both imply knowledge of one form or another.

Let me illustrate this another way.

There was a short-lived show on Discover called The Colony where they dropped some people into a simulated Apocalyptic scenario. There were two people in the group: one was an actual rocket scientist and the other was a handyman.

The rocket scientist was great with knowledge. He knew all sorts of theoretical contraptions they could use to purify water, create a wood alcohol distillery, etc. But, he didn't have the first clue how to take the salvage all around them to construct the devices to put his theories into action practically.

The handyman wouldn't have had the first clue what all they could build with what they had, but once he was told what they needed to build, there was nothing he couldn't jury-rig out of the scrap and tools they had all around.

The problem was that the rocket scientist regarded the handyman as ignorant and anti-intellectual while the handyman regarded the rocket scientist as an impractical idiot who didn't understand why his grand ideas just wouldn't work the way he envisioned them and wouldn't listen to the one guy who knew how to make them work.

In the end, the two had to come together and realize that while the one had the intellectual and theoretical knowledge to know what they should construct, the other had the wisdom and experience to be able to best apply that knowledge and adapt it to the tools and materials available, making it practical and workable. Working together, the two were one kick-@ss team that could pretty solve any technical survival challenges the group had, but until they had that knowledge/wisdom epiphany, things were ugly.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Well, yes of course...

Cognitive intelligence and moral intelligence can develop separately, and usually the cognitive comes first if we analyze the very sad war period humankind is still living ever since the dawn of ages.

Regards,

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I found this a very odd question. My answer. The two MUST be mutualy exclusive. Why? Intelligence is one thing. But Wisdom?
I think Wisdom arises from emotion, from the Human Experience. It allows us to understand the completely "Unintelligent" actions that the Angry Monkeys we "suppose" are the most intelligent creatures on this planet display every day. Wisdom is what lets us understand WHY we have wars over stupid things, and kill millions, over something as arcane as "principles". Intelligence is what let's us program the DVR !
You can hae one without the other, but having both is better. It makes the world a little bit less of a darker place than it becomes when the angry monkeys start acting up! Would I rather have a leadership that is "Wise" over one that is "Intelligent". I'll take wise over intelligence any day. !

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Is it dangerous to have intelligence without wisdom?

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Intelligence could be measured by how many University/College degrees you have hanging from the wall. Wisdom is knowing that most employment comes from who you know, not necessarily what you know.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Intelligence is a word with many meanings.
In general the question itself does not have a relevance once you understood the meanings of the 2 words.

I would instead use:
Wisdom, Information, Guidance
Wisdom: a mechanic that uses information, interprets it and causes actions
Information: data, can also be used by wisdom to get more wisdom
Guidance: giving leads to let someone find wisdom or information

One who has wisdom creates useful information with a high influence on others actions.
One who has low wisdom and gets information can use it inefficiently and cause harm (example: weapons).
It's from my view the biggest problem on this planet, because unwise, who do not find other logics that make them help others instead of being selfish get information that has been leaked from wise ones and keep the others suppressed using it.
Or in other words, super rich (inheritors of the conquerors) and those unknowingly working for them (are you?) use technology to let others work for them even though within my information and wisdom they and everyone else would benefit from instead working together as equals.
Information comes automatically when you are ready. I could reinvent electronics and other things by myself.. if only everyone creating or using it would know what great harm magnetic fields cause..

Answer to the original Question
Intelligence is something one would call a presence in some form of life that reacts to something, so it depends on how you define each word.
You can say if wisdom is defined as a comparable efficiency level in a mechanism towards an unknown goal which the wisdom has to find as well as more wisdom and more information, then intelligence, if defined as having a reaction to something at all, is present in any mechanism with any reaction at all, which also means it has wisdom over zero if any progress towards the ultimate findable goal is over zero.
Thereby, within this specific definition for each word one might suspect, the presence of intelligence means a presence of wisdom and the presence of wisdom means the presence of intelligence.

However, you could as well think this way:
Case a,b,c lead to reaction a,b,c and the being is built to react specifically to do these reactions instead of finding them.
So no wisdom is required in such cases of reaction. If it can be called intelligence depends on limitations of the definition for each word of the speaker/writer and the listener. Recommended to have an open mind to all definitions on both sides plus an awareness of an attempt to use any words wrongly on purpose to express thoughts or reality as accurate as possible, or to affect someone else towards partial goals as efficient as possible.

I'm not a philosopher, just a pretty aware being seeking perfection and teamwork for all that is and is not

In this post you are given the key to transform yourself and the world, as guidance, wisdom and information, yet you can call all 3 information. We, including yourself are waiting for you.
Good luck on your journey

edit on 26-3-2014 by oneoneone because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join