SkyCop cameras. Are you for them or against them?

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
In 2013, Toledo, OH installed SkyCop cameras all around the city. They've recently begun
installing 30 more in phase two for a total of 100 cameras.

TPD installing 30 more SkyCop cameras

"We've had several locations where businesses have expanded their business after the cameras have gone up because their businesses have gotten so much better," said Heffernan. "This is all citizen driven. People want to have these cameras, people want to feel secure in their neighborhoods and that's why we do this.

In another article I read it say over 100 arrests have been made since installing the cameras.

I'm not sure how I feel about these. We already have traffic cameras at intersections all over the city. I'm sure those bring in quite a revenue.
How many cameras do we need? Do we really need any?

Would you feel safer with the cameras or would you view it as an invasion of privacy (even though they are installed in public streets)?

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Would you feel safer with the cameras or would you view it as an invasion of privacy
reply to post by virraszto

In answer to the first part of that....no, I wouldn't feel any safer.

I don't view it as an invasion of privacy per se....rather I just see it as another small step toward the turnkey totalitarian police state that the US is quickly becoming.

If police officers would spend their time looking for actual criminals...instead of shooting and beating innocent people....these cameras would not be necessary at all.

I give these cameras a solid...
..down.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Not being a criminal I should not care. But I still think it outrageous to live under the constant gaze of the surveillance state. My very core wants to shoot each and every camera I see.

If you all remember a guy they called the Una-Bomber take a minute and read the crazy guys manifesto. His methods sucked and were completely counterproductive. But he was spot on.....
edit on 20-3-2014 by Mamatus because: and I cant speeeel

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

"This is all citizen driven. People want to have these cameras"
Says who?
Just like all the other security measures installed this is not about catching criminals, its about keeping us under control.
Criminals do not walk around waving a flag that says LOOK AT ME I'M A CRIMINAL. It's the same with all the snooping of our emails etc because any smart villain would not use emails or mobile phones.

Cams very rarely catch criminals, but they watch us 24/7.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
the logic is almost comical...so people will feel safer because the criminal is more likely to get caught after committing said crime....lets use an assault as an example...so said person is going to feel safer being beaten up because he is being beaten up and it is on camera ? ok (rolls eyes)

this is just more monitoring of everyday citizens

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

VoidHawk
Just like all the other security measures installed this is not about catching criminals, its about keeping us under control.

The worst part of this entire police state is that these people are committing *massive* crimes at the federal and international level. The state and local layers are serving and protecting these miserable excuses for human beings.

I see no legitimacy in any part of this vertically-integrated system.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Mamatus
Not being a criminal I should not care. But I still think it outrageous to live under the constant gaze of the surveillance state. My very core wants to shoot each and every camera I see.

If you all remember a guy they called the Una-Bomber take a minute and read the crazy guys manifesto. His methods sucked and were completely counterproductive. But he was spot on.....
edit on 20-3-2014 by Mamatus because: and I cant speeeel

In the surveillance state we are in, everyone is considered a criminal, and yes, even you are. And you are being held accountable for not having done anything wrong. Infringements on privacy and liberty do not make anyone safer. And it is costing you a lot of money for not having done anything wrong. It will cost all of us a lot more in the future if it is allowed to keep going. And in much more than just money..
Just speaking in general, not necessarily to you about all this.
edit on 20-3-2014 by alienreality because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Absolutely against them.

They would be seeing a lot of my pasty white @ss.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   

juspassinthru

VoidHawk

The worst part of this entire police state is that these people are committing *massive* crimes at the federal and international level. The state and local layers are serving and protecting these miserable excuses for human beings.

I wonder how long it'll be before the tech savy kids start stealing them with their smart phones?

I love the pic in your avatar, I'm a lorry driver so it always makes me smile

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I'm kinda split. In an area that's insanely high crime I don't mind cameras. You're getting recorded all day every day in a city anyway, this just sort of streamlines the work of going to every business with a security camera and combing through tapes. I'm not one of the 'I have nothing to hide guys' at all, but you have no real right to privacy in public. If you're driving in front of me or behind me I'm recording you (Yay new dashcam).

On the other hand I hate seeing things like this used for petty stuff like jaywalking or riding a bike on the sidewalk, and this kind of opens up that can of worms. The idea of being constantly watched gives me the creeps. Say some camera operator doesn't like my obnoxious car, so they spend the day tracking me until I fail to stop for a full (ummm... 3 seconds (?) at a stop sign) or they find my cocky swagger annoying and keep watching me until I commit some other petty offense. Or to get more realistic they start watching black people all the time and profiling.

I think these cameras have their place, but perhaps actually using the data should require a warrant. So hands off until a violent crime occurs and then judge signs a warrant and the data can be reviewed. Hit and runs, muggings, beatings, assault and the like fine. Useful tool. Constant monitoring and searching for guys peeing on the sidewalk no dice. It's very hard to give an inch without having to defend a mile.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Good Example of one of the many reasons why I prefer to stay as far away from so-called "civilization" as I can .. too many damn busybodies poking noses wherer they have no business .. they can shove all their surveillance equipment up their arses.. I value my privacy ..
Before all the kiddies who love big brother watching them whinge and attempt to tell me why I should tolerate the busybodies.. dont bother at 71 I remember what freedom is and what its like to live without being under a bloody microscope 24/7 .. I will take my freedom and privacy over the surveillance state you have there .. You let your leaders watch you when its you who is supposed to be watching them ..
edit on 20/3/14 by Expat888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   

In the surveillance state we are in, everyone is considered a criminal, and yes, even you are. And you are being held accountable for not having done anything wrong. Infringements on privacy and liberty do not make anyone safer. And it is costing you a lot of money for not having done anything wrong.

He summed it up.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Totally for
For Private security cams, so when a person or business is harmed, they have proof of perpetration/crime.

Like all other personal property, the government will require a search warrant to view said property.

X
edit on 21-3-2014 by Xcouncil=wisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Terrestrial coverage is NOW becoming small potatoes.They are launching multiple constellations of satellites to map the earth down to a meter. Now add facial recognition and you understand what I mean.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
They would be a cost-effective way of replacing helicopters. Faster to utilize and cheaper to operate. I am sure they will be abused by the police but then the police are only human.

Drones would be really good for doing the search of MH370 in the Southern Ocean. Program a couple of thousand of them to film specific parts of the ocean.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I say if those folks who want cams up in their businesses... then they can go buy friggin cams and put them up in their businesses.

Dont make everyone else who wants nothing to do with them pay for this crap.
edit on 21-3-2014 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Defintely against them. It doesn't seem so bad not with 100 cameras, but once the fire starts spreading its going to be hard to stop, especially as the technology gets better and the price goes down.

I think they're acceptable for certain areas but once you start making those exceptions...
They're also pretty obvious, Not too hard to find some blindspots if you really want.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

juspassinthru

VoidHawk

I wonder how long it'll be before the tech savy kids start stealing them with their smart phones?

I love the pic in your avatar, I'm a lorry driver so it always makes me smile

I would love to see the day our wunderkids send these drones "back to mama". Preferably in a steep dive at max screaming speed.

Re: the avatar -- Glad you like it. We take many things for granted today that the masses in the 3rd world will never know. I'm particularly distressed that Washington only targets nations that can't defend themselves ..... and the very poor in those nations are almost certainly a large percentage of the victims.

new topics

top topics

join