It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkish Government Just Banned Twitter ***DEVELOPING***

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Turkish Prime Minister just followed through with his threat to ban Twitter-
Developing...

(Reuters) - Twitter users in Turkey reported widespread outages on Friday, hours after Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan threatened to shut down access to the social media platform as he battles a damaging corruption scandal.

Widespread Twitter Outage in Turkey

More on the scandal....
Turkish PM Corruption Scandal
edit on 20-3-2014 by ltinycdancerg because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Corruption scandal > people talking about it on twitter > quick... Ban twitter!

Corruption scandal over?

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

You got it.

Kill the messenger. Literally. Problem solved.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Just business as usual- this is the nature of government.

edit on 20-3-2014 by ltinycdancerg because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

boncho
Corruption scandal > people talking about it on twitter > quick... Ban twitter!

Corruption scandal over?

LMAO!

It's almost as if all of these clowns use the same playbook. You'd think history would at least touch some of them *something*...

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Holy crapperolie . . . [RUNS TO CLOSET, GRABS TATTERED CARRY-ON . . . STUFFS WITH BEST OF THE WORST WARDROBE EVER KNOWN TO MANKIND, CALLS TRAVEL AGENT ]

three minutes later . . . . Hey honey, some little tin god just banned TWITTER in Turkey . . . I'm headed over there right promptly to open up something I like to call TWATTER . . . we'll be friggin' RICH . . . we'll finally be able to afford new batteries for that miniature humming torpedo thing you're always ravin' about . . . WE'RE IN THE MONEY . . . . WE'RE IN THE MONEY . . .

or not.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ltinycdancerg

Hmmm...I wonder when we can expect an anguished speach from Obama about "International norms"...and the announcement of sanctions against Turkey??

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
This just proves the prime minister and his cronies have somthing to hide, it's like these people in power all over the world can do whatever the hell they want and everyone else has to abide by their strict rules.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Cok guzel!

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Um?
If the U.S. hands over internet control to other nations....
Can they just decide to turn off all social media here without say?

Edit: hey Wrabbit! Aka mod! ( pull a law out of your hat )Do you have an answer to this?
edit on 20-3-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

Open question? More addictive..... ATS? Or Twitter?
ATS is always open on my tablet...
When my twitter explodes in what ever.... I go right to ATS. Or vice versa.
I find the 2 combined is the fastest way to get info on INSTANT breaking news.

But ATS folks breaks it down more logically. If I can find the right posters. ( you know who you are )

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I wonder how long EU, UN, NATO, USA etc. will ignore this until they finally make a statement.

But the EU really want Turkey to be a buffer between them and the middle east it seems.

While everybody was making statments on Maidan and now Crimea, Merkel even invited Erdogan for a speech during his election campaign. He really said, that the Turkish people here in Germany don't have to integrate themselves into our German society.
No idea how they can still support this guy.

Since years I had the feeling, that he will develop into a dictator and seems it is really happening. Wonder how long it takes before Turkish people stand their ground against this government and burn it to ashes.
German media covers the protests quite a lot since last year and I can't understand how Merkel or other people ignore the at least 7 deaths and over 8000injuries since last spring/summer.

Edit: I have no idea when exactly the elections are, but I assume he will even lose a lot of his supporters with this. If not and he is reelected again, I would say the people their are dumb or the vote has been rigged.
Btw. last month he even claimed that the internet will always be free and not censored

edit on 20-3-2014 by aLLeKs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:55 AM
link   
the andswer for corruption on western territory is blocking social media..
why does the community not respond on this action ?
why do they still keep erdogan in place ?
where is the US morality ?
why are there no sanctions against the corrupt gov. ?
where are the lines for freedom of speech ?

if this would have happend in any non western country the so called community would be furious....

US with "dubble tongue " pur sang.....

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by aLLeKs

I think it has become clear in recent weeks that our Chancellor is not working for us (maybe she can't read the inscription on the gable of Reichstag from her office in the federal Chancellery?), and that she is not on the side of democracy, freedom or justice anymore (if she ever was).

Regional elections in Turkey are this month, followed by presidential elections in august, very likely including a referendum on their constitution.
edit on 21-3-2014 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   
The Streisand Effect.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Erdogan crossed the line that separates a conservative Government from a fascist one. And he shoots himself in the foot too. This would be the most damaging thing he has ever done to himself because the Turkish people are enthusiastic Twitter users who arent about to stop using it.
edit on 2014 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   
So much for Turkey becoming a member of the EU for "sharing European values".

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I've never liked Erdogan.And I'm not very surprised by this latest screw up.Behavior unacceptable to NATO,EU sensibilities.He can expect to hear about it.
edit on CDTFriam5661 by TDawg61 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   
isnt this fantastic! And the US wants to give up its hold on the Internet so that the rest of the world can do what they want with it.......You know, Like the UN , im sure NOTHING bad could come from the UN!

God this planet is going down the tubes so fast it makes my head spin

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by gardener

Can I ask what that means?

JT

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
The German media reports that now even the turkish president critisized Erdogan for banning twitter. Via twitter.
Only english source if found:

gulfnews.com...

Gul, however, took to Twitter himself to say complete bans on social media platforms were unacceptable and to voice his hope that the block would be short-lived.

This is interesting, as Gul beeing the formal head of state would have the power to force re-elections (the upcoming vote end of this month is just some local elections).
edit on 21-3-2014 by roswell1987 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join