It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pupils walk out of lessons after school BANS them from wearing bracelets to support classmate with l

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Arbitrageur
reply to post by WhiteAlice

It goes deeper than that. The school said the kids could display the bracelets on their book bags etc and could show support that way, and apparently some kids were fine with that compromise and wanted to return to class, but.... It was a minority of students who not only wouldn't accept that, which had them concerned, partly because they were pressuring other students who wanted to return to class to not return to class...almost sounds like pressure in a union to not cross a picket line or something. There are usually two sides to every story and sometimes I feel like we get a biased view from one side.

Absolutely. Kids nowadays have no respect for authority. Ever ride on public transportation after school? The bus driver has to constantly remind teens about the rules, ask them to wear headphones, stop cursing, quiet down, etc. Thankfully we have a few bus drivers who will kick them off the bus if they don't cooperate the first time.
This sounds like a few of the rowdy students pressured the others into not returning to class.
So they have a policy of no jewelry. What if students decide they want to wear a bracelet supporting some other cause, or each student wants to wear a different bracelet? The school was already being fair in allowing the bracelets to be displayed on book bags, and the school was supporting the leukemia cause as well.

Actually, we don't know the full story because we weren't there but a lot of times there's more than first meets the eye. When I was a kid if I swore at school I got my mouth washed out with soap, if I disobeyed I got it from the principal with a plastic baseball bat on my rear in front of the whole class, and when I got home I got it a second time. Nowadays kids think they own the world and refuse to be accountable for their actions, and will even threaten their parents with calling Department of Family Services if they spank them.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AreUKiddingMe

When I was a kid (i graduated in 1992), we would get swats with a paddle. The woodshop made them each year for the teachers. 1" thick oak cut into paddles that were 2 feet long and 5 inches wide. I had our golf coach break his paddle on me once. Did it make me better behaved? Nope....sure didn't.

"Kids these days" are just like kids in the past. Every generation gets to a point where they remember how much better everything was in the past.

The only thing that was better in the past was when we had fewer laws, to be honest.
And kids could express individuality while learning how to dress themselves appropriately. Instead of being handed a uniform intended solely to propagate the "Participant Ribbon" mindset pervasive in western education.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

paraphi
Yes. If parents break a child's education because they want a holiday then they should be fined. School is school and this laissez faire attitude to education is worrying.

Regards

Is this really the mindset in Europe? Or is it just England?

Why the need to interfere in the life of others? Because its "for the children"?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Nice. Megadeth. Star. I think that these young people did EXACTLY the right thing. If 100 young people walk out of school, and the school calls the police on them, why would those 100 young people want to go back, EVER? and if your a Cop, and you have to respond, just what exactly are you suppoded to do in this case? Give out 100 YABO's ? This isn't bad behavior, it's a demonstration of CHARACTER. I'm sure the sick young man appreciates the sentiment, and I imagine it helped buck him up a little bit. Good to see there are in fact young people that don't debate what's PC or not, but take action. Everybody needs a wingman. And I salute the kids that chose to walk out. NEVER let the B*#t*^d# break you. BRAVO ZULU !

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
parents who allow schools to bully their children(all them to be subjected to unjust and in many cases unconstitutional rules) are setting themselves up to have their rights taken away. they let it grow. schools should of never gotten to that point. jebsus they tell you what to wear, fight for your childrens rights.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

When I was a kid (i graduated in 1992), we would get swats with a paddle. The woodshop made them each year for the teachers. 1" thick oak cut into paddles that were 2 feet long and 5 inches wide. I had our golf coach break his paddle on me once. Did it make me better behaved? Nope....sure didn't.

"Kids these days" are just like kids in the past. Every generation gets to a point where they remember how much better everything was in the past.

The only thing that was better in the past was when we had fewer laws, to be honest.
And kids could express individuality while learning how to dress themselves appropriately. Instead of being handed a uniform intended solely to propagate the "Participant Ribbon" mindset pervasive in western education.

I was born in 1962 and by 1980 was in the Army stationed at Ft. Devens. So I guess I'm talking about mainly before your time. And kids today are Not just like kids in the past. Our culture has steadily deteriorated. Both parents usually work, and leave the schools and TV to raise their kids. And yes here in the U.S. uniforms didn't become widespread beyond Catholic schools until there were gang colors.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
What a sad deterioration society has become.

When I was in grade 6 in the 70's, we had a kid with leukemia in our school (a rare thing back in those days)... All the students got together and had t-shirts made that we all wore in support of Chris's battle with his cancer. When he lost the battle and died, the school shut down for the day so that all of the kids and teachers could attend his funeral.

It was a heartwrenching experience, but at the same time it was a heartfilling experience in seeing the love and humanity we all shared together as a group.

But most importantly:

It brought such a grateful joy to his parents to see how much their child was loved by all of us... Something I'm sure they'll hold dear to their hearts for the rest of their lives.

I know I have.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by cado angelus

I don't think much of a school that allows a situation like this to get out of control to the point they call the police....I think it says more about the school than the pupils involved!

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been that big a deal for the school to make the decision that the wrist bands could be allowed on the understanding it was only because a fellow pupil was battling a life threatening illness and a relaxation of the ban for other reasons in the future wouldn't be allowed.
As for people mentioning a compromise had been made whereby they could attach them to their bags etc....this kind of takes away from the whole point of wristbands which show support by being worn on the person as a constant reminder.

I actually feel very sad for the boy and his family. I'm pretty sure while he is in the midst of cancer treatment they could do without him being caught up in the middle of this controversy. The school could have dealt with this much more sensitively.

Oh...and I couldn't agree more about the no term time holidays. I am a responsible parent and I ensure my kids are in school and I am fully involved in all aspects of their education...but I do not appreciate being dictated to about when I can and can't take my family holidays. In fact I have a few issues about how UK schools are run in general...I'm not sure why some believe there are fewer rules and less pressure on children in schools than before when in fact the opposite is true!

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

I worked for a guy who grew up in central El Paso during the 40's and 50's. He wore gang colors when he was in a street gang called "The Shamrocks". Yeah...Mexican dudes going by The Shamrocks. Don't think he and I haven't laughed about that a few times.

What you have noticed is more reporting on the things that were already happening. I know the history of my local area in about as good a detail as can be, and can tell you that the scoundrels of days gone by are no better than the ones today. Nor is the ratio any different. What IS different, perhaps, is the psychoactive effects of our medications. But what I see is that for the most part you have a mix of more reporting and greater population density.

My son is the same good natured kid I grew up as. And he hangs around with the same general group of clowns I hung around with. We were a bit rowdy and rambunctious. Maybe a more than a little unruly. No gangs....we were in the country. But every now and again a local would have a nephew or neice sent to live with them from the city.

Kids are the same. They only have different toys, and we are drugging more of them than in the past. But humans are humans.

FWIW, I could use some degradation of society. All these damned rules piss me off. Im sick to death of having to make a bunch of hand wringers happy, and line the wallets of the government with my fines and taxes.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   

biggmoneyme
parents who allow schools to bully their children(all them to be subjected to unjust and in many cases unconstitutional rules) are setting themselves up to have their rights taken away. they let it grow. schools should of never gotten to that point. jebsus they tell you what to wear, fight for your childrens rights.

Even worse, parents who tolerate "zero tolerance" rules about fighting to result in their children being bullied need to snap the hell out of it. All humans have right to defend themselves.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

biggmoneyme

Even worse, parents who tolerate "zero tolerance" rules about fighting to result in their children being bullied need to snap the hell out of it. All humans have right to defend themselves.

I agree. No school or any facility should ever take that basic thing away from children.

It's also very prevalent nowadays that your actions and thoughts at home can somehow pertain to school. Hell they data mine kids and gather information on them so they can tell who "might be a potential threat". It's rediculous.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   
i dont understand why schools need to be so intrusive in pupils lives, they are already a horrible forced educational prison why do they want to get MORE hate for stupid stuff like this? Have the teachers all gone completely power mad?

I was nearly excluded for wearing trainers (sneakers) after i sprained my ankle playing rugby AT SCHOOL. completely stupid. The world wont crumble because someone steps out of the uniform for a few days.
edit on b5858252 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I think its time someone found the plug that keeps England floating...and pull it.

How pathetic is my once great nation.

When the schools directors should be supporting the child who's ill, they chastise an act of solidarity by his classmates ?.

The bracelets are not jewelry or a fashion accesory, they are in support of a classmate ill with cancer.

They're kids for fuc+ sake and their friend has a terminal disease.

Come November 11 will we have a walk out over poppy wearing??

Stop the world i wanna get off.
edit on AM6Sat20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
The problem here is not that the kids wanted to wear a bracelet or whatever, no no no! It was because the children were thinking for themselves!!!

Children who think for themselves frighten those at the top, so they created the school system - To create a standardised citizen, useful for the work place, but unable to THINK FOR THEMSELVES.

I notice a few in this thread have dragged the home schoolers into the conversation, and not in a nice way either!
Let me give you an example of home schooling V state schooling.

I know a bunch of home schooled kids. They can all read and write, they can manipulate numbers and they know they live on a round ball that floats through space and can even tell you the names of the other planets that float along with us.
If those children were sent to school right now at their particular age, then for the next six months they would be learning to count to fifteen, and learning to recite the abc.

So, what would happen if those home schoolers were now sent to school?

Well they'd sit there feeling totaly bored and fidget and they'd ask questions. Those three things - Bored - Fidgeting - Asking questions - are the MAIN cause for children being diagnosed adhd, so these bright intelligent kids would end up medicated - for being smart!

The evidence is in our faces, we only have to look! School is not about education, its about making compliant maliable citizens.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
people are getting as touchy anymore as a wildcat with a butt full of sandpaper.......

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I was about to lambast these cold blooded automatons on a petty power trip, but you said it all first!

Off with the head!

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

"If I was running this school, not only would my students be wearing wristbands, I'd probably try to arrange some kind of uniform change to T-Shirts with a Team Joel slogan"

Wouldn't you be doing exactly what they are here? Forcing students to wear what you say? What if the kids did not want a uniform change?
Firepiston

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Oh, this is exactly what we had in USSR communist regime.
Uniforms in schools.
Strict dressing codes and rituals.
Indoctrination from early age...

We all know how it all ends up - a massive revolution.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
This has just reminded me of a similar incident that happened in the town where I live last week.

Bispham High School pupil excluded in homework protest

It seems in this case, the child was worried about the level of schooling he was receiving and possible consequences this may have on his future. The only problem I have with this protest is that even though he himself had good intentions and real concerns, I doubt that all the others involved had the same intentions. Classmates would follow, purely for the reason of getting out of class 'because everyone else was doing it'.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Hi folks,

I just had to jump back on here and update everyone that has been participating on this thread that Joel unfortunately passed away the day after the protest.

A 15-year-old boy has died of leukaemia just hours after his classmates went on strike when their school banned them from wearing charity bracelets to support him. Joel Smith, a Year 11 pupil at Bilton School in Rugby, Warwickshire, died last Thursday evening - one day after police were called in when 100 students walked out of lessons. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... -him.html#ixzz2wvSbrKFZ Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Such a shame.

Sleep well, young man.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join