It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHEN To Lay Mulch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Okay, so I have scoured the interwebs (sorta), have asked several people and even talked to my landlord (who is also my neighbor) who got us a little mulch last year... to no avail. Well, there's also no "Gardening" forum here, so I find myself in General Chit Chat in hopes that someone can tell me WHEN to lay mulch! Online I simply get "how" to lay mulch, with no definitive time frame. Asking people just seems to give a plethora of opinion (and we all know what they say about opinions) based answers. The landlord, well I think he was just surprised I was going to get my own mulch this year lol.

You see, I moved into this home almost a year ago and I absolutely LOVE it and I want to doll up the outside since I've already done the inside. The people who lived here before us were the original owners, everyone in the development knew them and their love for their home. I have never lived somewhere that has fit my family so well and a year in; well I want to continue the tradition of this property. Last year I missed the "right time" to start my vegetable garden, this year I know better. Last year the previous owner's winterization of their flower beds was flawless and in bloom when we moved in. I'm learning as I go, a whole lot of googling info and answers, but this one seems to be eluding me.

I'm not expecting stars and flags, just some good answers. I live in South East PA (USA) and, for the time being, just need to know when to lay mulch. Additional info, like reasons and so forth, is very welcome.

Thanks in advance... and please no flaming lol.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by IrishCream

Once the weather stops freezing over. You have to tend to it so it doesn't dry out too much.

The Farmer's Almanac ... great resource.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Now is a great time to mulch. You might have started in late February but now is an excellent time, too.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Thanks Snarl. Question; is the freezing what dry's it out? I'm sure that sounds extremely ignorant.

This winter has been extremely harsh and we're forecast to get some more freezing temps in the next week or so, maybe even... snow ugh
. I have some flowers blooming already and in my mind mulching now would help insulate them from that. However, the very last thing I want to do is interfere with their natural process lol.

And thanks for the Farmer's Almanac reference, I almost forgot that existed... my Great Grandmother would be ashamed.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

That's what I was thinking, especially because the stores are starting to sell it. I just want to be sure I don't destroy the previous owner's hard work, it really is beautiful what they've done with the property.

Thanks Bybyots

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I assume you are up north somewhere where it snows.

If that assumption is correct my answer is............ anytime you want after the last melt.

It's mulch. ground up organic material used as ground cover right?

You can't really mess it up.

If you do make adjustments

edit on 20-3-2014 by grubblesnert because: spellin'

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
When it goes on sale is the best time to lay mulch. It can be half the price. If you have time to wait, it can be bought for a quarter of the original price on clearance.
edit on 20-3-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   

What are you planning to use as mulch?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I am located in SW Ontario, so we are relatively in the same climatic area. I normally work peat and black earth into the soil in the Fall, then put mulch on top. I then do NOT rake up the leaves in the Fall. Come Spring, I work the semi-decomposed leaves and dead plant material into the soil along with sheep manure and/or a triple soil enrichment blend, then I spread around more mulch. The trick is to concentrate on feeding the soil not the plants, in my experience.
edit on 21-3-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Here check this out this might help with anything else.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Here check this out this might help with anything else.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join