It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2018 F.I.F.A. Football World Cup Russia.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
F.I.F.A. could show some leadership here in the world of sport, and cancel the 2018 World Cup awarded to Russia, and re-schedule it elsewhere.
It won't change what Russia is doing in Crimea, but at least it may send a message from the world of sport.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Not everyone thinks what Russia is doing is wrong, so why should FIFA get involved in political affairs? If Russian wrongdoing was a universal opinion then I would concur with what you are recommending, but opinion is split on these current events.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Pistoche
Not everyone thinks what Russia is doing is wrong, so why should FIFA get involved in political affairs? If Russian wrongdoing was a universal opinion then I would concur with what you are recommending, but opinion is split on these current events.

Sport does get involved in political affairs. You may or may not be old enough to remember the boycott of the Moscow Olympics 1980:-

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

National committees are more than welcome to boycott events. However IOC being a global sports committee didn't cancel those Olympics and neither should FIFA relocate the 2018 World Cup. These are sports entities, not political entities. Furthermore, IOC didn't even cancel/relocate the 1936 Olympics in Berlin when Hitler was rising to power due to the reasons I mentioned. A global sports entity should not engage in politics, but national committees are free to do as they please.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   

alldaylong
F.I.F.A. could show some leadership here in the world of sport, and cancel the 2018 World Cup awarded to Russia, and re-schedule it elsewhere.
It won't change what Russia is doing in Crimea, but at least it may send a message from the world of sport.

I was under the impression that discussion was occurring.

I think a back lash is going to hit Russia. The G8 / G7, depending on which European leader is speaking, is talking about suspending / booting Russia from the group as well.

Chanc. Merkell does not want to boot Russia as she feels its another possible diplomatic avenue. To an extent I agree with her on that point, but if nothing positive is coming from it, a decision will need to be made.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

What

So FIFA should just ruin itself and what its set up for over a century because of ..... Political moves made by nations.

FIFA should Ban Germany, the US, just think of a nation that has done something shocking and let FIFA ban them.

20-30years ago sports was sports,

Today its all politics, money and marketing.

Sport does get involved in political affairs. You may or may not be old enough to remember the boycott of the Moscow Olympics 1980:-

Yes, just shows how F'ed up some nations are.

Cannot leave things be for what they are and need to bring politics into everything.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Sports and olympic games are big business, and are manipulated by corporations and there may be conflicts of interest, and at the same time the media use this as a distraction ...

top topics

join