It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 'chicken from hell' dinosaur: Large feathered dinosaur species discovered in US.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Scientists from Carnegie and Smithsonian museums and the University of Utah today unveiled the discovery, naming and description of a sharp-clawed, 500-pound, bird-like dinosaur that roamed the Dakotas with T. rex 66 million years ago and looked like an 11 ½-foot-long "chicken from hell."

The beaked dinosaur's formal name is Anzu wyliei – Anzu after a bird-like demon in Mesopotamian mythology, and wyliei after a boy named Wylie, the dinosaur-loving grandson of a Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh trustee.

Three partial skeletons of the dinosaur – almost making up a full skeleton – were excavated from the uppermost level of the Hell Creek rock formation in North and South Dakota – a formation known for abundant fossils of Tyrannosaurus rex and Triceratops. The new dinosaur was 11 ½ feet long, almost 5 feet tall at the hip and weighed an estimated 440 to 660 pounds. Its full cast is on display at the Carnegie Museum.

phys.org...
www.theguardian.com...

Very interesting find indeed, I would love to see the display at the museum. Despite millions of years going by, still sometimes luckily some of such remains have survived the test of time are unearthed. Hopefully there will be more finds in the coming future to settle the evolution debate once and for all

edit on 20-3-2014 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I wonder if they tasted like chicken?

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Looks delicious.

I am fully on board for "Jurassic park'ing" these back into existence immediately!

Think of the fajitas!!!

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Wow that looks like a nasty creature.
It looks like a cassowary.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Whoa, be careful what you think...I was just talking dinos with my fiance and dino affecianado young'un a few days ago and reflected on the possibility of a raptor like and sized monster chicken...no kidding. WTH world, get outtta my head!

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Am I the only one having a hard time believing this? I mean, a dino already starting the physiological changes to being a bird...in the Jurassic? why is it the only one?

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidWarrior

Could be a case of convergent evolution, but not very likely. Probably a distant relative, of many possible ones, of the dinosaur that eventually evolved into what would later become modern birds.
But you raise an interesting point; how far back do bird characteristics go?

I need to read up on the time lines. Quite fascinating!

Also, this is most likely not the only species during that period that displayed such physiological traits, but the only fossil of that kind that has been discovered so far from that era and in that region, hence why it's being written about.
edit on 20-3-2014 by ABeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ABeing

Birds and dinos have been long thought to be related iirc. They've been finding feathers on some of them for several years now. pretty sure that makes Big Bird a possible example of a living dinosaur.

This does, however, put a stamp of finality on the age old debate of which came first--the chicken or the egg. It should be quite obvious the egg did and we should be grateful for the birth of that runt.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Haven't stayed updated on the fossil discoveries to be honest. Only familiar with the most popular ones, but it's fascinating to watch how the pieces are being put together before our eyes!

So many interesting things to learn about... So hard to keep track lol!

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ABeing

Yeah, only reason why we knew (and this was launched the entire "ACK, imagine a giant monster chicken!" idea in me) was because I'd remember my dino fan mentioning feathers. Here's some feathered dino stories from the last couple years that might meet your fancy:

news.nationalgeographic.com...
www.nature.com...
www.scientificamerican.com...

Enjoy pecking through the stories.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

This is great. I saw this earlier. But it is def not the first feathered dino found in hell creek. Maybe the largest that i know of. Up to 600 lbs, and 11' long? That would never fit in my rotisserie. By the way OP, evolution is settled. Animals change over time. You may be thinking of genesis vs abiogenesis.

Here is a great link from a fellow dinologist.

m.youtube.com...

Here he tells the most likely way to bring back the form of dinosaurs, theropods like t-rex, and raptors.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
From the time in ancient history when chickens ate people. So do you think it tastes just like chicken?, sorry just having a little fun.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Woodcarver

But just think...if we could only bring these creatures back into the world, we could end world hunger...one way or another.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

WhiteAlice

But just think...if we could only bring these creatures back into the world, we could end world hunger...one way or another.

Hahaha!! One way or another. And Yet, some how it would erk me that all those beauty pageant queens would be having yet another wish fulfilled.

Those were great links by the way. I did not know that they had found large tyrannosaurs with feathers. Even the ominous REX.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

This does, however, put a stamp of finality on the age old debate of which came first--the chicken or the egg. It should be quite obvious the egg did and we should be grateful for the birth of that runt.

...that's been solved, for like, as long as I can remember. the answer depends on whether you are a creationist or a evolutionist(chicken, and egg, respectively).
edit on 20-3-2014 by LucidWarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
you better bok bok believe it. these #ers prolly hunted the cavemen!

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Many thanks for the links! I will certainly take a good look at them later.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
if there are steggy sauras type glyphs on temple walls...
feathered serpents anyone?

definitely a sandf though

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   

WhiteAlice

they are still around and proof of evolution as well
now a days we call these puppies CHICKEN HAWKS

top topics

<<   2 >>

join