It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Principal Fired For Telling Kids To Speak English at School

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Hempstead Middle School Principal Amy Lacey was placed on paid administrative leave in December after reportedly announcing, via intercom, that students were not to speak Spanish on the school’s campus. The Hispanic population of the rural area, roughly 50 miles northwest of Houston, is growing quickly, and Latino advocates say that it’s important to allow Spanish in public schools.

My older brother used to live there 20 yrs ago. With it's size then, I'm kinda surprised they weren't annexed into another school district the way it's happening nationwide now. All the little rural schools are being voted on to join other schools even in different counties but that's another discussion I reckon. This is just a good example of the schools short changing the kids on education.
Houston Chronicle
edit on 20-3-2014 by Hillbilly123069 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Witthout doubt he'll be branded a racist by latino lawyers...the lawyers of the famlies who'll probably end up sueing him trying to make a quick buck off the race card.

edit on PM4Thu20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

...it’s important to allow Spanish in public schools.

But it's not. Now I could care less if some students were out in the hallway speaking a different language, but if the school decides it's counterproductive for some reason, I don't see the need to get all upset about it.

I guess this is just a non-issue for me one way or the other.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Hillbilly123069

Hempstead Middle School Principal Amy Lacey was placed on paid administrative leave in December after reportedly announcing, via intercom, that students were not to speak Spanish on the school’s campus. The Hispanic population of the rural area, roughly 50 miles northwest of Houston, is growing quickly, and Latino advocates say that it’s important to allow Spanish in public schools.

My older brother used to live there 20 yrs ago. With it's size then, I'm kinda surprised they weren't annexed into another school district the way it's happening nationwide now. All the little rural schools are being voted on to join other schools even in different counties but that's another discussion I reckon. This is just a good example of the schools short changing the kids on education.
Houston Chronicle

Of course they are going to say allowing spanish is important, no surprise there.

The hispanic immigrants and their advocates are extremely racist, and want to transform the United States into Mexico North.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

andy1972
Witthout doubt he'll be branded a racist by latino lawyers...the lawyers of the famlies who'll probably end up sueing him trying to make a quick buck off the race card.

LOL, a dude named "Amy". o.0 Does he have brother named Sue?

This is an ages old issue in Texas. At the end of the day, language is language. smart parents have their kids speak English. If they don't want to, so what? The kids won't do as well socially and financially as adults...but i bet that THEY will end up teaching THEIR kids English. Because they'll learn.

This is how it is supposed to work in America. We have no national language for a reason...

...but the principle shouldn't have been fired mid year over it. Disciplined for stupidity without administrative input? Yes. But not fired.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
In the elementary school I attended in rural Texas, the student population was 50% Hispanic and 50% anglo. I learned to speak Spanish from my school mates. Being bilingual has been a definite asset to me professionally and socially.

Leave those kids alone!!!
edit on 20-3-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Maybe if the immigrant community tried to intergrate itself more, accepted that it's in a foreign country where Spanish ISNT the mother tongue, and stopped complaining, life in that school would return to normal.

Speak Spanish at home, in the yard or in the street but English in the clasroom.

These people don't want to speak English, yet want the benefits of living in an English speaking village and country...

They want everyone to bend over backwards to accomodate them.

We have the same here in Spain with the Morrocans..

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I thought schools are where we teach our children how to learn to become a productive members of society.

Not speaking the official language of your country is not productive. If they move here which I really don't have a problem with then they need to learn to speak english. You would think these parents would realize that.

edit on 20-3-2014 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Auricom

...it’s important to allow Spanish in public schools.

But it's not. Now I could care less if some students were out in the hallway speaking a different language, but if the school decides it's counterproductive for some reason, I don't see the need to get all upset about it.

I guess this is just a non-issue for me one way or the other.

In Texas, parents are given enormous amounts of control over their childs education. When my school screws up, they hear about it loud and clear.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

andy1972
Maybe if the immigrant community tried to intergrate itself more, accepted that it's in a foreign country where Spanish ISNT the mother tongue, and stopped complaining, life in that school would return to normal.

Speak Spanish at home, in the yard or in the street but English in the clasroom.

These people don't want to speak English, yet want the benefits of living in an English speaking village and country...

They want everyone to bend over backwards to accomodate them, and if someone says no....

The first English phrase they learn is...."you are a racist, i will sue you"...

This is known as "cultural bias". The hispanic people have already had "white folk" declare their culture inferior and have it replaced once when they were Amerind people. Do we really need to do that again?

In general, you see a 3 generation span from immigration to assimilation. At least in this area. in 3 generations you typically end up having a set of parents that puts a kid through college. That is changing in more modern days, since you an't live here illegally as easily as you used to. But in the past, that is the way it typically was.
edit on 3/20/2014 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I read that story and really am not surprised.

People want to disparage our teachers and country for not ranking in the top of the list of educated kids in the world. Yet we will not require a single language.

mexican American, african American or just plain AMERICAN...

Who did'nt like it? the mexicans? tell them to sneak into the next county. Rob that school district of funds.

The problem with our country is that we can't even teach kids in English.

I know thats racist. White guys can't say anything that isnt racist. But this is the USA. yes we are a melting pot of ethnicities but we have come together to build a great nation.

We have a great big elephant in the room in our education system. The lack of English speaking students.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
bigfatfurrytexan

This is an ages old issue in Texas. At the end of the day, language is language. smart parents have their kids speak English. If they don't want to, so what? The kids won't do as well socially and financially as adults...but i bet that THEY will end up teaching THEIR kids English. Because they'll learn.

It's all about WANTING to be a part of the society that has opened it's doors to you.
These people do not wish to intergrate themselves, yet want the benefits.
I am an immigrant, i moved to Spain 15 years ago. I learnt the language and the customs. In my sons class there are kids from NINE countries, but everyone speaks Catalán and Spanish..nobody complains becase we live in a country were we are the outsiders.

...but the principle shouldn't have been fired mid year over it. Disciplined for stupidity without administrative input? Yes. But not fired.

He shouldn't have been canned period. Months more of disruption for the kids.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I know thats racist. White guys can't say anything that isnt racist. But this is the USA. yes we are a melting pot of ethnicities but we have come together to build a great nation.

If a Hispanic in America says "I don't want to speak English, I only speak Spanish in class" he's fighting for his rights. If a teacher says " Class, i want everyone to speak English"..he's deemed a racist.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Ban it in lessons - sure, Ban it in school meetings and so on, no problem.
But to ban students speaking languages ANYWHERE on school campus seems draconian and unfair.
I dont see how kids in the school yard or sports field, hanging out, chatting with friends in whatever language they like, actually affects anyone?

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

brandiwine14
I thought schools are where we teach our children how to learn to become a productive members of society.

Not speaking the official language of your country is not productive. If they move here which I really don't have a problem with then they need to learn to speak english. You would think these parents would realize that.

edit on 20-3-2014 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

Obviously, you are a racist.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I remember a story posted here last year that Texas was teaching the Founding fathers were the original terrorists, giving contraceptives with instruction to elementary school children and so on. Whats enormous about that? Loss maybe. Not control.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

andy1972
bigfatfurrytexan

It's all about WANTING to be a part of the society that has opened it's doors to you.
These people do not wish to intergrate themselves, yet want the benefits.
I am an immigrant, i moved to Spain 15 years ago. I learnt the language and the customs. In my sons class there are kids from NINE countries, but everyone speaks Catalán and Spanish..nobody complains becase we live in a country were we are the outsiders.

He shouldn't have been canned period. Months more of disruption for the kids.

The principle being discussed is a female.

That aside, our notions of liberty would seem to preclude demanding that others who want to exist in your general vicinity should also change their customs.

Not to mention that no one is suggesting that educational interaction shouldn't have a standardized language. That is within the purview of the school, whose job it is to instruct children. I have dealt with a LULAC zealot teacher who tried to teach classes in spanish. She is no longer employed in the district, but not by any of my involvement. It is just not conducive to teaching.

However, the language spoken on the playground....its none of her business. And what the families speak at home? None of any of our business.

One of the most frustrating things a person can endeavor is to control another person.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I would have to say that banning Spanish anywhere on campus would appear to be wrong, and I wonder what prompted it.The article really doesn't address that so we all are left speculating. Perhaps the principal is just prejudiced. Perhaps there actually was a good reason. Maybe there is bullying going on at school and a majority of teachers are not Spanish speakers and wouldn't know it if they were around it due to the language barrier. I could see a couple of decent reasons for the banning of Spanish on campus. This is why I take issue with the whole idea of every single part of our society needing to be completely integrated. It sounds great on paper, but reality often dictates another truth. To completely do an excellent and proficient job as a teacher in a situation where mass bilingualism is practiced a teacher needs to be bilingual. The problem is that there are not enough bilingual teachers to go around. To top that off the bilingual teachers that are around demand a greater salary due to their skillset. Sometimes I do think it would be best to seperate the children for both social and economic reasons, as well as having complete control over what happens in the school.

The article also infers that there is a power struggle going on between the recently hired Hispanic superintendent and various other school officials. I believe that this could be the real issue behind everything.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Hillbilly123069
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I remember a story posted here last year that Texas was teaching the Founding fathers were the original terrorists, giving contraceptives with instruction to elementary school children and so on. Whats enormous about that? Loss maybe. Not control.

What does this have to do with anything? Texas is a huge state. I am 10 hours from Houston, and still over 3 hours from the tip of the panhandle. In the panhandle you can be closer to the capital of 4 other states than you are your own.

What a single district, or teacher does a full 12 hour drive from me really has little to do with the culture we have in my part of the state. Matter of fact, we are quite a bit different in the West than they are in the East, culturally speaking. West Texas is more like north mexico. East Texas is more like "Southeastern bubba". With San Francisco as our capital.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
This is from the OP article...

Outside the board meeting, Kloecker said that the problem was Flores-Smith, not issues of culture or race. "We've been a predominantly Hispanic district for several years now," she said. "But we never had a problem until she came." Flores-Smith started the job in August.

I think that there is a lot more than meets the eye here.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join