It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sanction tit-for-tat: Moscow strikes back against US officials

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Lol

This get more comical by the minute

Russia handing sanctions back is like shooting yourself in the foot, and then setting it on fire

My next prediction is the west shooting Russia in the other foot and then Russia also set that foot on fire

edit on 20-3-2014 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Vovin

Bottomline is US wants to grab the market which is catered by Russian gas today. Russia has to find a way to cancel that out. If it cannot do that, then it will be trouble for Russia.

One question is how can US send gas from its mainland all the way to Europe and still be competitive in terms of price etc.

Putin needs to cut down very hard on corruption. This will reduce the cost of various items produced and make Russian goods and services more competitive in global and european markets.

Corruption is messing Russia up from inside. US is piling military pressure via NATO encroachment and economic pressure via gas wars and sanctions...........from outside. Tough times for Kremlin these days.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Vovin

You're right. But this will only lead to the formation of a stronger "eastern" bloc alliance. Imagine if Chinese production shifted away from the US, towards a country like Russia. All China really needs is better allies to deal with to abandon its relationship with the US.

Eastern bloc alliance had to be worked upon from early 90s but Russians were madly infatuated with the "enemies" in the west.

Only problem with Eastern bloc alliance is half of China and India would want to move into Russia and give it a total third world stamp in few years. That is another way of taking over a country.

Russia needs to look both ways, i.e. west and east and all the while make sure there is no encroachment from either side.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by gspat

Actually, I'd love it if America got a new shuttle instead.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Unfortunately I think sanctions are only the opening move. Russia is testing the waters and the fact that Putin is so cavalier about the whole thing suggests to me that this year or next the S is going to hit the F. I think there's backchannel plans between the Russians, Iran, China, and North Korea. It's going to end up in an all-out conflict before it's over. We have a lame-duck President who isn't known for his stellar foreign policy and leadership. Whatever happens will happen between now and the next Presidential election.
I don't think it's a cooincidence that during the same time Putin was invading Crimea:
a) North Korea launched 25+ missles
b) Israel has been undergoing rocket attacks
c) Iran has been playing around with one of their warships in international waters

Sanctions are just a shot across the bow.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AreUKiddingMe

The sanctions were not the opening move .The installation of Washington's Nazi-Puppets was .Once the plan was laid open the the F--- EU Nuland phone conversation the historic clock started ticking .Once it was acknowledge that the puppets were now on there way to Washington to be briefed Putin made his move with the referendum vote .Every thing that followed has to be consistent with that time frame .Every thing else has been arm waving and drawing more lines in the sand ....peace

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   

stumason

HanzHenry
On a serious side, the people of Crimea voted to join Russia.. ffs, that is democracy being spread. The fact that America is against the democratic intentions of Crimea is VERY telling.

You're incredibly naive to think that the vote was free, fair and in any way democratic.

It was organised on the drop of a hat, had no proper monitoring of the voting process (despite claims to the contrary - all the monitors were private citizens, not recognised observers including leaders of Communist parties around Europe and of pro-Russian/expat groups) and also done under the "watchful eye" of thousands of Russian soldiers....

It was also boycotted by a large section of the electorate - only 60% of the population is of Russian stock, the Ukrainian and Tartars all stayed away from the vote.

there was a vote. period, and the Crimea had OVER 60% vote FOR Russia.

Last time i checked, 60% is a winning percent. as it is more than half.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

This butt-jiggling US fear and paranoia of the Russians is creating too many shocks to the world peace.

They are not contend with expanding NATO to central europe and are now encroaching on the ex-soviet republics.

Russia either surrenders meekly or react and they chose to do the later.

Someone needs to 'hard slap' or 'heavy smack' this bully named the USA.

Hard and heavy enough that this bully's lower jaw is angled sideways by 20 degrees atleast and he goes quiet for a while, tending to the facial dislocation.

Many other issues to take care of than picking a fight with a nuclear power.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

victor7
reply to post by Vovin

One question is how can US send gas from its mainland all the way to Europe and still be competitive in terms of price etc.

Putin needs to cut down very hard on corruption. This will reduce the cost of various items produced and make Russian goods and services more competitive in global and european markets.

Corruption is messing Russia up from inside.

you have answered your own question, there is NO way the US can ship it there competitively.

CORRUPTION IN RUSSIA? had to double take on that one, lmfao.

Yeah there is no corruption in the US is there, pot calling a kettle are we?

At least the corruption in Russia is by russians who have nationalism and loyalty to their culture

The corruption in the US is by globalists who use, abuse, exploit, and plunder the US with NO LOYALTIES.

which is worse?
edit on 20-3-2014 by HanzHenry because: bb

edit on 20-3-2014 by HanzHenry because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   
So the US Government says what Russia is doing is 'illegitimate'. I do not disagree with this, but can someone from the US Government please explain how Iraq and Afghanistan was legitimate ? WMD's that never existed and never found. Osama in Afghanistan, despite being "captured" in Pakistan, yet no action against Pakistan for clearly HARBOURING A TERRORIST. Remember that speech from GW Bush about what the "coalition of the willing" would do to those caught HARBOURING TERRORISTS ? So when does Pakistan get invaded ?
Or the majority of the "19" terrorists that came from Saudi Arabia, as well as "mastermind" Osama ? So when does Saudi Arabia get invaded ?

Looks like we have a classic case of 'do as we say, but not as we do' ?

Russia and the US are like a divorced couple, where its always the other one that's in the wrong, and neither side looks at their own actions. The citizens of each nation are the kid's left with a broken home and the raw deal in the end !

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I find this comical from the US perspective. So the US is supporting radicals once again who are far right, and include Neo-Nazi groups in Ukraine. You know they could have avoided this.

They could have listened to Gen Patton back in 1945 and collected up the remains of the German Army and marched on Russia right then. Yes Patton famously put this to the president back in 1945 and was ready to get underway. The finest German and US generals.

... and what happened? They sent him on garden leave and a short while later he was dead.

Just saying, it would have been a different world in Europe today with Patton had his way.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
what no more mail order russian women seeking wealthy american banker types, for love and marriage.
anybody remember this wendy's commercial.

i know kinda cheesy, but hey gotta laugh.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Reinmax

Just saying, it would have been a different world in Europe today with Patton had his way.

In other alternative, Russians could have abandoned Moscow and European Russia and ran away to the other side of Urals (that was Hitler's real plan) and let the Germans go strong and powerful on Russian resources. In the next 3-5 years they would have stomped over all of western Europe, UK and would getting ready to invade and enslave the USA.

Russians lost 20-30 Million people in the effort to get rid of Nazi Fascism. Human logic defies that allies turnaround and attack the savior. That would have been so DASTARDLY.

US did the right thing by containing the communism and let it fall apart on its own.

Communism was the bigger curse on the humanity than WWII Fascism was. Communism impeded the growth and daily happiness of people all over the world, not only Europe.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Why keep US troops in Europe? To keep the germans down and the Russians in check.

Not my opinion, its a presidential US quote.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Reinmax
Why keep US troops in Europe? To keep the germans down and the Russians in check.

Not my opinion, its a presidential US quote.

Something else to consider is that the US's top enemies during WWII, Germany and Japan, became the closest allies of the US after WWII. Both Germany and Japan were long-time enemies of Russia/USSR and were essentially maintained as geopolitically buffers during the Cold War.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Great thread title. I had tit-for-tat on my mind the whole time this thing has been developing.

Know what happens after tit-for-tat? Somebody gets poked in the eye with a sharp stick.

Anyone wanna take odds against the victim is ultimately Iran?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   
So Nato plans to sanction a country which was at the helm of putting up an iron curtain and not allowing anything in or out?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Merinda
So Nato plans to sanction a country which was at the helm of putting up an iron curtain and not allowing anything in or out?

Wasn't that the Soviet Union ?

They did well didn't they

The sanctions imposed are because it worked so well before without firing a shot

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
What does Putin have to worry about? Obama already showed his hand when he said "Military force is NOT an option!" way to scare a dictator prez!
I know those sanctions would have me running back to Moscow!

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   

~Lucidity
Yeah, seriously. What Russian things could the U.S. not live without? On the plus side, this is the first thing that made me giggle today.

These particular sanctions ? I don't know, maybe no sanctions from either sides are really impressive anyway, but don't forget, the US owes about 160-200 billion USD to Russia... what would happen if Russia where to withdraw that money ? Honestly, moratorium and loss of credibility (on a good scenario).

Take a look here Link

Cheers

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join