It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does the Religious Right vote and fight against Social Mercy? (revised title)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

But everyone has to pick and choose what they want to fight against or for. Social justice and social injustice are flipped the other side of the coin. Whatever is a justice to you might be an injustice to another.

Okay, now you're going back to the 'moral relativism' thing.
I've stated that I think morality is objective.

There are enough resources to go around; but they are not distributed in a way that sees to the well-being of our fellow humans.

How, on God's Green Earth, is it unjust to care for the suffering????
Whether it's sufficient food, adequate shelter, warm clothing, abortion services, racial issues, terminally ill who wish to be assisted for ending their suffering (euthanasia) ----

I just can't wrap my brain around when it's okay to prolong someone's suffering!! Either through greed, apathy, indifference, condemnation, or what have you -
It's not okay to prolong or intensify someone's suffering, when something can be done to alleviate it!!

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

BuzzyWigs

But everyone has to pick and choose what they want to fight against or for. Social justice and social injustice are flipped the other side of the coin. Whatever is a justice to you might be an injustice to another.

Okay, now you're going back to the 'moral relativism' thing.
I've stated that I think morality is objective.

There are enough resources to go around; but they are not distributed in a way that sees to the well-being of our fellow humans.

How, on God's Green Earth, is it unjust to care for the suffering????
Whether it's sufficient food, adequate shelter, warm clothing, abortion services, racial issues, terminally ill who wish to be assisted for ending their suffering (euthanasia) ----

I just can't wrap my brain around when it's okay to prolong someone's suffering!! Either through greed, apathy, indifference, condemnation, or what have you -
It's not okay to prolong or intensify someone's suffering, when something can be done to alleviate it!!

I agree.

But how?

We could perhaps start another Grassroots campaign, or keep donating to organizations like OxFam or sponsor a child. I have a monthly recurring bank draft from my account to OxFam. We might not be able to do it for everyone, maybe one at a time is all we can do?

You are never going to get people to do more than they want to do. But sometimes we have to look at all variables about how some who are poor became poor. Do I feel sympathetic toward the young man who called me to cry about how he is now a heroin addict even though he knew ten years ago that I told him that if he didn't stay out of that, then he would become an addict and ruin his life? I have no sympathy for him because of his poor choices and now he is impoverished.

But I do have sympathy for babies who are born into poverty, it is not their fault. I had to choose which was more important, babies or a heroin addict. And that's where religion comes in, let's save the baby's life and childhood so that it doesn't become another death statistic.

You can try that without religion, as many people have. But we can't do it all and we can't expect those with money to bend. If someone isn't going to bend, we can't force them, so we just do what we can do individually.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

But how?

Um well ....
that's what we're discussing. Right?

I don't have the answers, but the current political/economic/foreign policy stuff coming from Washington DC is
not effective. That much I know, and see.

BTW, I am currently reading Dr Zhivago....published in the year I was born.

Making me think. Think hard.

Thank God for reading and education! Think of how many people on this planet can not only not read, but could never connect the dots! Have you read it?

My realization today is that this situation is not new, not new at all; and that we really need to revisit the past to understand how our future needs must be. The Bolshevik revolution resulted in....well.....
I'm only about 1/3 of the way into it, but I'm seeing the pattern. This was a major novel and blockbuster movie - back in the late 50s....

Then we have to think of McCarthy, and the USSR, and so on and so forth. But -
do we have to think it can only turn out the same way????

so - do we try it again? Or throw it out again?

People need shelter, food, clothing, clean water, and a decent standard of living. Still. Every day.

edit on 3/22/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   

BuzzyWigs

But how?

Um well ....
that's what we're discussing. Right?

I don't have the answers, but the current political/economic/foreign policy stuff coming from Washington DC is
not effective. That much I know, and see.

BTW, I am currently reading Dr Zhivago....published in the year I was born.

Making me think. Think hard.

Thank God for reading and education! Think of how many people on this planet can not only not read, but could never connect the dots! Have you read it?

My realization today is that this situation is not new, not new at all; and that we really need to revisit the past to understand how our future needs must be. The Bolshevik revolution resulted in....well.....
I'm only about 1/3 of the way into it, but I'm seeing the pattern. This was a major novel and blockbuster movie - back in the late 50s....

Then we have to think of McCarthy, and the USSR, and so on and so forth. But -
do we have to think it can only turn out the same way????

so - do we try it again? Or throw it out again?

People need shelter, food, clothing, clean water, and a decent standard of living. Still. Every day.

I read Dr. Zhivago when I was a teenager.

There are no easy answers.

People do need all of those, especially children.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

In my experience, reading something as a teenager is not equivalent to reading it as an adult (especially literature such as is Dr Zhivago). Whenever I re-read a book that I remember had an impact on me, I think wow, I didn't get that part as a kid.

But, agreed: There are no easy answers. Yet, there are dots we can connect. Half a century after it was released (having been banned in Russia) but the story occurring an entire century ago (early 1900s), we are discussing the very same issues that Pasternak discussed in Dr Zhivago.....

to me, that is significant. I am now better able to see what the opposition is anticipating; and what the other side was aiming for. That time, it didn't work.

But that doesn't mean it can never work.

I'm very confused right now.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   

BuzzyWigs

In my experience, reading something as a teenager is not equivalent to reading it as an adult (especially literature such as is Dr Zhivago). Whenever I re-read a book that I remember had an impact on me, I think wow, I didn't get that part as a kid.

But, agreed: There are no easy answers. Yet, there are dots we can connect. Half a century later, we are discussing the very same issues that Pasternak discussed in Dr Zhivago.....

to me, that is significant. I am now better able to see what the opposition is anticipating; and what the other side was aiming for. That time, it didn't work.

But that doesn't mean it can never work.

I'm very confused right now.

I can't read from books, I am Dyslexic and it takes too much effort the older I get. Reading from a computer screen works better for me. There's something about the way the screen separates the speed into the visual cortex, so Dyslexics find it easier this way.

I do have Kindle for PC and just finished reading some interesting things.

One book that I definitely think is most interesting and you can find it on Gutenburg.org. What Is Coming? by H.G. Wells, he actually makes predictions that do come to pass regarding the world just before and after WWII. This was written in 1916.

H.G. Wells was an observer of world trends. He predicted Germany of becoming a superpower and actually specifically says their navy will be so great. Remember, this was Germany during WWI, and he not only mentions Germany, but the United States and Russia becoming superpowers and rise of Arabs in Islamic states.

He also mentions about what it takes to change about poverty. He says that we can no longer live in a world where young girls of 14 years-old should be allowed to get married and have children. And he advocated for women working outside the home and that is was necessary.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join