It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I'm sorry, but electronic cigarettes are not allowed here."

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Vaping,

The wonderful world of... For a lot of you who've chosen to switch a bad habit into a totally reasonable one, dropping the chains of bad breath, stained teeth and a cough from a cancer patient, you may have heard the same thing.

"Sir, there is no esmokes allowed in here."

"Huh?"

Seriously? When you hear this kind of thing you want to dig deep in your emotions, let out a fiery tirade of rage and pull apart whatever logic this person might be using to tell why that vapour is not allowed. You really want to hear the reasoning they have, just so you can laugh about how stupid it is.

In fact, every argument against esmokes is so absurd it's nearly comical. Even worse, some of us remember the days of smoking, and it was everywhere! In fact, if you were a non smoker, it was actually a real pain in the ass because everywhere you went, you couldn't get around it. And for the very few that were non-smokers during the smoking hey day, and esmokers during the anti-esmoke sentiment, it sure feels like you are always on the losing end.

Fast forward to vaping. It's not smoke, so any rules governing smoking, do not apply. But then tobacco lobbyists politicians will say things like...

"It's 'like' smoking so it should fall under the same rules." Ethanol is like methanol, only one will make you blind though. Here, drink some but I'm not telling which one it is, na na nana na.

"It may lead to real smoking so it's bad." Huh? Real smoking could lead to real smoking too...

"It normalizes nicotine intake and nicotine is an addictive substance." Yep, so is caffeine. And coffee seems pretty normalized. Or how about high fructose corn syrup? Any negative health effects there?

"We don't know if it's safe or not!" Actually, educated guess says it's likely quite safe, (granted no thorough scientific enquiry yet) but! We know it's better than rolling up dead plants processed with various chemicals and inhaling the smoke from said dead plant matter.

"You are blowing your vapour on everyone." Meh, you are blowing your dirty ass breath on everyone. If you could see yourself exhale you'd see that your breath is just as vile as vapour from an ecig. The little data there is shows that the remaining nicotine is near undetectable from exhale as well, so that arguments out the window.

It makes no sense to me how some people can support the knee jerk reaction there is to vaping. Now, if some new thing came out where you rolled up dead plants and smoked them everywhere and it smelled disgusting, and bad side effects were rampant.... Oh wait, that already happened! And doctors were recommending it at the time.

How can the pendulum swing so far across the center that this makes any sense. How can people spend years and years and years fighting big tobacco, who swore up and down that their fun sticks were good for you, sit and idly watch as the same people have tried to demonize vaping, not because the arguments are valid but because of monetary interest? Wouldn't you want to see some proof before banning something that is quite possibly a great alternative to which banes you so dearly.

In any case, big tacky is buying out vaping companies now, so it will not too long before they take over the industry from the inside out, and find some BS regulations to keep their monopoly. So there's always that I guess. Which should be a good thing?

edit on 20-3-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Case in point:

The district's non-smoking policy, which was amended to apply to "comparable, personal, vapor-generating devices," went into effect immediately following the board's vote, Springer said.

Board vice president Scott Svonkin, who proposed the change, described e- cigarette use as a "public health crisis" and a "growing epidemic among young people."

"This action will limit the exposure of the students, faculty and staff on our campuses to these cigarettes," he said. "No one should be forced to breathe the vapor e-cigarettes emit. We are proud to lead the effort to protect those we serve."

echopark.patch.com...

This is possibly one of the worst examples of action without reason. Number 1, they decided to amend their smoking policy to include, not-smoke. That is like including your anti-violence strategy to include non-violence. "Ok well, since we have a zero tolerance policy on violence, and since yelling is kind of similar, anyone who yells faces the same consequences."

Public health crisis? What are the effects of this public health crisis. WOW, gee whiz, tell us all the negative health effects since this "crisis" emerged...

We are proud to lead the effort to protect those we serve. Protecting them from what exactly? They definitely need protection... From guess who?

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Would you rather I went out and stood right outside the front door and smoked a few cigarettes out there, because If I have to go outside I can assure you an e-cig isn't going to do the trick!

I can go outside! You WANT me to go outside!?!

It's fine, it's fine, no, no, it's fine, really, don't worry, if noone comes in here for the next hour or so, don't worry about it, it's probably just coincidence...

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   
We can't even get e-cigs with nicotine in them in Canada. The government makes money hand over fist taxing cigarette sales so I guess they decided they couldn't have a healthy cost effective alternative chipping away at their bottom line.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

It's the monkey see, monkey do rationale. When did I ever give a care about a monkey? I make faces at them when I go to the zoo.
Who hasn't? It makes want to swing through the trees when politicians treat me (and those around me) like I'm something less than a rational, decision making, human being. Arghh!!

Vape all you want Boncho. S&F for a well written rant.

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

Vape all you want Boncho. S&F for a well written rant.

Or just be like me and don't go anywhere anymore.

I no longer spend money in restaurants, theatres, pubs, etc.... and I'm plenty richer for it. I honestly can't remember the last time hubby and I ate dinner in a restaurant, it's literally been years. Don't miss it one bit.

Backyard bbq's and bonfires...

There's no place like home.
There's no place like home.

*click click*

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   
@Snarl, nice to see you.

@Cranial: What a world we live in. We can cross a few imaginary borders and be fined, jailed or killed for something you can do within another imaginary border.

Social nuances, laws, religious order, all just a big mishmash of "hmm this is what the flavor of the day is."

We ask ourselves, how in the world could people in the past be so absurd, prosecuting people for XYZ, forbidding ABC, not allowing 123. Yet, throughout the world an example is almost everywhere. And it's only 1 generation from you away, to everything you know to make little sense based on a new interpretation.

So yeah, staying indoors aint bad. Till they come for your BBQ cause it's releasing toxic fumes your neighbour called in about.

Damn you and your emissions!

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   
If anyone in Australia uses E-cigs successfully please PM me.

Thanks in advance.

I need to quit smoking. I want to quit!

Have tried a few times.

Help! I need somebody, help! Not just anybody, heeeelp!

P

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   
ecigs are a lifesaver for me. (possibly for real also).
So far, no places I go have banned em, as there seems to be no actual logical reason just yet to ban em.

I simply don't understand the philosophy.
cologne and perfume have far more toxins in the air than a e-cig.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   

pheonix358
If anyone in Australia uses E-cigs successfully please PM me.

Thanks in advance.

I need to quit smoking. I want to quit!

Have tried a few times.

Help! I need somebody, help! Not just anybody, heeeelp!

P

Just make a quit date and quit.
get some e-cigs lined up, get a good one and some juices, good battery, etc..familiarize yourself, then just use willpower.

For extra ease, start doing chantex about 2 weeks before quit date. you wont even care once quit date comes around (cigarettes will be making you sick by then anyhow, so your will be oddly relieved once you can quit.)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Thank you for the advice but the difficulty is that what is available in the country you are in is not available here.

You see, if you live OS from the US and try to but from the US you get a bill for postage that is often three times that of what you have bought. A small pack of special screws that would fit in a match box was $US8.56 and $53.00 for postage. It is insane!

Brands are also different so I have no idea what Chantex is, but it seems to be Varenicline. That may not even be legal in this country.

P

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   
meh .. wouldve ignored them as usual and fired up a smoke ..

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Try shipping in from hong kong. China invented the damn things, even though regular smoking is way more popular there, and they manufacture almost all of it. So whatever prices you are paying by buying from US, you are getting ripped off. As the actual cost is 20-30% of what the market there is.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   

DeadSeraph
We can't even get e-cigs with nicotine in them in Canada. The government makes money hand over fist taxing cigarette sales so I guess they decided they couldn't have a healthy cost effective alternative chipping away at their bottom line.

Many shops have them in Montreal, your liquid is custom made with whatever nicotine level you want in it. I switched from 1 pack a day to ecig for the past two months and its certainly one of the best decisions I've made in a long time.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I must say the campaigns against e-smokes are completely silly.

Now we are being warned of the unseen side effects of the e-smokes, but honestly those side effects (if they are real) are peanuts compared to the side effects of real cigarettes.

I know a few people who've switched to the electronic alternative and I wish it was an option many years ago, it would've unclogged hospitals and oncology departments decades ago.

But just you wait, the moment that the devices start to really take off then expect a tax hike. Govts need smokers to continue to smoke as a means of tax revenue, and if this device slows tobacco sales...

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

You can ignore that u2u. Actually it seems there are a few options in Oz. Here is a company that looks like they make sick mods.

www.vaperempire.com.au...

Buy one of their ecigs, then buy some ejuice (you will want 18mg or 24mg probably) and give it a whirl.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Fellow vaper here, going on 10 MONTHS SMOKE FREE!!

I see a steady push to ban ecigs or to put a 95% tax on them. Yes.... 95%. How absurd is that. Taxing or banning water vaper is ludicrous at best and could even stretch to manslaughter at worst. I CAN NOT believe that they would rather folks smoke real cigarettes than be successful with a far more healthy alternative. It seems like they would just prefer people get cancer and die. And that is a sad thing. They want their hand in your pocket and your one foot in the grave. I guess it's what they call a win/win scenario.

Washington State just won a battle against the 95% tax, but I am worried that it won't be long before it shows back up there again.... and every other state as well. I have been trying to purchase extra stock weekly just in case.

I am hoping that the vaping community has grown big enough that we can fight these things tooth and nail. Every day there are more doctors coming out for ecigs against analogs, and more studies are showing promise too. We just need to make sure that there is a huge vaping voice at every one of these "charades" where they are trying to tax it out of existence.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
For all the talk about the dangers of smoking and the social "pariah" status placed on smoking. . . . politicians WANT to have people continue to smoke.

Vaping doesn't garner tax dollars. Vaping isn't as addictive.

I've been transitioning from cigarettes to e-cigarettes for some time now.

Not only do I have more money in my pocket as a result, I also avoid the associated coughs (etc) that come with smoking.

politicians, nosy people should just "butt" out!

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Here is one that kills me:

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

A "study" was done to show that ecigs might be dangerous. Guess what they found out:

Electronic cigarettes, seen by many as a healthy alternative to tobacco smoking, can cause damage to the lungs,

hey found that using an e-cigarette caused an instant increase in airway resistance that lasted for 10 minutes in the majority of the participants. Below are some of their findings:
Non-smokers - even among lifetimes non-smokers, using an e-cigarette for ten minutes raised their airway resistance to 206% from 182% (mean average); the researchers described this as a "significant increase".

Current regular smokers - among existing regular smokers, the spirometry tests revealed a significant rise in airway resistance to 220%, from 176% after using one e-cigarette for ten minutes.

COPD and Asthma patients experienced no significant increase in airway resistance from using one e-cigarette for ten minutes.

So they found that airway resistance increased in non-smoker and smokers after 10 mins of puffing on an esmoke.

No all of you careless, wreckless free thinkers can take that and shove in your esmoke...you're all killing yourselves!

Wait what? You mean stuff like this is already widely known?

Huh...

Changes in airway resistance induced by nasal inhalation of cold dry, dry, or moist air in normal individuals.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Simply a change in the type of air we breath effects our lungs similar to the study? So, if we maintained the line of thinking with the article, we'd be saying that stuff like desert air, or cold dry winter air, might be "damaging our lungs" but since we don't really consider brief changes like that "damage" we wouldn't really say, damage.

Wow...

It's like it's all just a scare tactic.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

That's precisely what it is. Scare tactics at it's best. I can tell you from experience (I do have COPD), that it was only 2 weeks into vaping that I noticed I could push my lawn mower easier. I could go out on a hot humid day to mow and notice a significant difference (being that I didn't feel like I was going to die). I wasn't gasping for breath nearly as much. I could breath deeper and coughed less. By the end of mowing season I felt like an Olympian compared to before.

I don't need them to tell me what they think it does to the airway. I KNOW my lungs are better than they were before. A lot better. I was smoking 2 packs or more a day. After almost 10 months, I can still see improvements in many areas. Stamina, heart rates, coughing, etc. I don't plan on going back regardless.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join