It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Short Bright Day of the Body

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Hello.

To begin, let's acknowledge that I don't "know" You..

at least as well as You "know" Me.

This is not "fortunate" or "unfortunate", but simply a matter of fact.

This fact is too often and too easily forgotten and taken for granted by those of us who seek Knowledge throughout "cyberspace".. We argue amongst ourselves, nitpicking at which words we use, which statistics and sources we reference, and leave the Ideas and Collaborative Thinking as an afterthought..

I am not going to pretend that I am speaking to a huge audience of open-minded, independent thinkers..

But I am also not going to assume that I am speaking to a few close-minded bigots..

In fact, I am going to assume that i am writing this to no one but My Self, because this i can be SURE of..

It just so happens that whatever the case may be, the eyes reading these words are connected to the same mind that typed them

That being said, I would like to share some observations and then observe the ripple that follows, intending to integrate and understand each response on their own terms and without judgment.

Zealots, Saints, Pseudoscientists, Skeptics, Psychics, Dreamers, and Artists are welcome. I cannot claim to belong to any one of these "groups" entirely but I have come to understand and freely admit the ways in which I have much in common with each of them.. or should i say that it seems that each of Us is composed of interlocking systems which simultaneously assume the positions of each of these "paradigms" and The Human Condition is the result of these systems trying to work in sync..

Before you respond to the following observations however, please understand:

-I have no interest in condemning "that which is 'BAD'" and proclaiming "that which is 'GOOD'" because I have come to understand that these terms are almost meaningless (outside of my own mind) and i would rather frame my words with the intent of "collaborating views and ideas" instead of condoning what is "right" and condemning what is "wrong".

-I do not care if you think i am smart, dumb, good, evil, crazy, sane, or just plain ignorant. These mean even less that "good" and "bad" in most cases.

-I use the word "God" sparingly in my personal life but it is a placeholder for that which is ultimately all-pervasive and unexplainable and means NOTHING. I will come back to this, but just know that i will not offhandedly use the word "God" to aid in explaining my reasoning. please do me the same courtesy if you respond.

What you are about to read is an experiment.

This is not an experiment with an expected outcome or a motive outside of the pursuit of Knowledge.

This IS an experiment that is operating under that assumption that ALL Knowledge is Self-Knowledge..

An experiment which assumes that The Human Brain is not so different from an intricately constructed music-box which has a finite spectrum of notes it can play, but with a potential of limitless combinations and permutations within its capabilities.. The DNA is the craftsmanship of "the music box" and it is this craftsmanship that determines the inclination and strengths of what music it plays best..

This is not to say that THE MIND is also a part of this "music-box"..

The Mind is the "composer" who collaborates with the mechanism and can choose to explore (or not) the innate potential of The Individual's "design". Understanding the true role of The Mind seems to be a key in alleviating "habitual suffering" and exercising Free-Will..

The most important factor however, is The Music and this represents our Actions.. No matter the strength of the construction of "the music-box" or the genius of "the composer", the combination and interplay between the two is what truly "counts" and is what is observable..

I find in most people is that they identify Themselves with some "thing" or a "concept" before they identify with their own consciousness. This immediately "short circuits" the raw power of their Free-Will and the more layers and complexities to this "identity", it seems like it becomes more and more difficult for the person to "just be themselves".

For example: those who say "I am my body".

Of course, their body is a PART of Them, but in stopping their identity at the body, they them shut themselves off from what is outside the body.. which just so happens to be just as eternally present as the body itself. The Mind is expressed THROUGH the body, but it is also always "soaking in" what is in its environment, and so this "identity" must also include an individuals past and current surrounding influences.

Is it any coincidence that those who view "their body" as truly representing Themselves, are also those who often seem to age most noticeably, lead unhappy lives, make self-destructive decisions, etc..?

This is not to say that they are "wrong" or that this is a "bad" way to live.. i only mean to imply that there is a connection, and if this "result" is not desirable, perhaps it is worth exploring?

The same goes for those who say "I am my soul".

This "soul" is indeed a PART of Them, but in quantizing "a soul" as different and apart from "a body" and "the world", we completely erode the true implications of The Soul: that which is being "expressed" through our body and world while also being the fundamental makeup of our Bodies and World..

Is it any coincidence that those who view "their soul" as truly representing Themselves, are also those who seem content with life, yet sadly stagnant? Those who can confidently speak to anyone about their Beliefs but forget to develop their faith in how these beliefs connect with the REAL WORLD.

Earlier i said that i would come back to explaining why i said "God means NOTHING":

Since the word/name "God" is supposed to describe a force or essence which is all-pervasive, the symbolic sequence G-O-D has become a very crude placeholder for describing an aspect of our Universe which (by definition) evades explanation. This "loop of reasoning" could easily be described as "communicating No-Thing" (notice the middle letter of "G-O-D"), but do not mistake me for saying that this is the same as deeming "God" to be a worthless concept..
It is just very difficult to use effectively..

SO!

Now where does this leave us?

Simple: I don't know.

I can't pretend to "know" anymore than i can pretend to "do" and this is a hard fact to accept.
all i can say (if i communicate anything of worth in this thread) is: wherever Paradox and Duality is found, they are actually describing opposite sides of the same spectrum and it is in realizing this, that One has hope of tasting Freedom.

Freedom from guilt, suffering, worry, and desire.
Freedom to do what you may and trust others like you trust yourself.
Freedom in any and every sense you've ever heard it used.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by HyphenSt1

Excellent thread! I find these type of threads to be really refreshing to read! I'm constantly astounded by the quality of the threads of some. Good job.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Thank you for the insight you have shared, it was a great pleasure to read! My initial reaction was a sigh of *relief and a feeling of joy at reading your beautifully stated and extremely thoughtful composition.
*Relief as in it was the perfect point in time for me to read such reflections...there are no coincidences.

With the following quotes resonating especially for me,

-->This fact is too often and too easily forgotten and taken for granted by those of us who seek Knowledge throughout "cyberspace".. We argue amongst ourselves, nitpicking at which words we use, which statistics and sources we reference, and leave the Ideas and Collaborative Thinking as an afterthought...

-->It just so happens that whatever the case may be, the eyes reading these words are connected to the same mind that typed them...

-->The Human Brain is not so different from an intricately constructed music-box which has a finite spectrum of notes it can play, but with a potential of limitless combinations and permutations within its capabilities...

-->...but in stopping their identity at the body, they them shut themselves off from what is outside the body...Is it any coincidence that those who view "their body" as truly representing Themselves, are also those who often seem to age most noticeably, lead unhappy lives, make self-destructive decisions...

-->...in quantizing "a soul" as different and apart from "a body" and "the world", we completely erode the true implications of The Soul: that which is being "expressed" through our body and world...Is it any coincidence that those who view "their soul" as truly representing Themselves, are also those who seem content with life, yet sadly stagnant?

This is what I felt moved to write:

With the intentional melding of body mind and spirit, one can create a delicately interwoven dance, one that is unique yet the same as all others; but when accomplished gives the watcher inspiration to step into their own dance. The "dance" to me, is when one lives as their truest self, free from ALL fear of judgement, and delighting in that which makes their hearts full and their spirits soar.

The energy created from this is utterly contagious, and sparks into life even MORE energy as it is witnessed and emulated.

I don't know that I know anything at all (and still yet aspire to know so much more)...but I do thank you kindly for inspiring this thought.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

This was an excellent write-up. I really enjoyed reading it—a rarity among these boards.

I find in most people is that they identify Themselves with some "thing" or a "concept" before they identify with their own consciousness.

How is "consciousness" not a thing or concept? What is it instead?

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
In writing, simpler is better. Use one word where one word will do.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I am not sure I am getting this thread and the purpose of this thread.

Is it a thread about not separating things into parts because you lose understanding of the whole?

In that case I do not agree since I believe understanding in separating parts to the lowest level to understand each part makes you even more capable of understanding all parts and the whole and the processes between them.

Quantify and define is a good thing since it makes people able to have the same concept of what you mean so that a person receiving a message will interpret the message the same way as the sender.

How can I understand the processes of the soul/body/spirit if I am not allowed to define the separate parts and examine the interaction between them?
edit on 20-3-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I agree with you, it is important to not label yourself with a definitive identity, we must accept that we are infinite.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

So much resonance in your words.......beautifully said!

I believe I am a soul in a fleshy shell.......an immortal soul in a short lived body. I love both and live through both, cause my soul is the energy that drives me and my body the vessel that allows me to move.

My soul connects me to all things that have a spirit, all people, animals, plants, etc.
My body allows me to experience all feelings, joy, pain, love, passion, pain.....and more love.

Without the soul I'd be an empty vessel floating in a senseless sea.
Without my body I'd be an invisible energy that cannot experience and learn.

The soul is like the wind, you cannot see it but you can feel it and you know it's there.

I am a soul in a woman's body.

top topics

join