It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Let's talk about anxiety, and the related meds. Shall we?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:53 AM
reply to post by seentoomuch
I find this incredibly interesting because I have vaso-vagal syncope in addition to anxiety! I used to faint often in my teens as a response to fear and pain. Very interesting stuff!

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:40 PM
Man I have some catching up to do.

I really really appreciate everyone coming here and sharing your advice and experiences.

My heart truly goes out to all of you!

Stay strong!

I'm off to read some more replies.
edit on 22-3-2014 by GoShredAK because: Edit

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:43 PM
Lorazepam works for me.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:52 PM

I have been alarmed at how easy it has been for me, in the past, to get a prescription for anti anxiety meds! I did need them, as some people do. But now I know there are alternatives.

Three doctors, at 3 different times, I went in and said "I'm really anxious and feeling depressed", they asked a few questions then wrote me a script. At the urging of a friend who is a nurse, I requested xx mg of xanax for immediate relief, which he did without batting an eye. I really did need help, but he had no idea I wasn't Dr shopping (it was my first visit to him EVER).

I still struggle sometimes, but have used natural means to help, and I believe that diet has a huge impact on mental health.

It is crazy easy! In my experience it was way too easy to get antidepressants that I consider extremely dangerous and poisonous.

One guy in California gave me Lithium Carbonate. It only took five minutes for him to diagnose and prescribe.

That stuff is gnarly! Apparently, when on it you require weekly blood tests to ensure your have the correct level of the drug in your system. If you have just a little bit too much it can be lethal.

Thank God I was smart enough to flush that stuff down the toilet the next morning...

I did find it really hard to get Benzos though (xanax, ativan, klonopin, ect...) Which I think can be helpful as a safety net for emergency use if you're really suffering from panic and you need to get your heart rate and blood pressure down.

But, those drugs offer their own special kind of danger. I've experienced black outs and would become totally disconnected from everyone and everything.
edit on 22-3-2014 by GoShredAK because: spelling

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:52 PM
reply to post by MsAphrodite

A very good quality B vitamin supplement is helpful with anxiety. Taken while having an attack you will notice almost immediate help.

Yes! B6!!
You can take it as needed, but don't exceed 250 mg (or your fingers might go numb)....
it works wonders on anxiety attacks!!! Immediate relief is right!!!!!!

I learned that in the mid 80s, from a doctor.

I've recommended it before to people suffering from panic/anxiety attacks (of which I was one - and the doctor explained to me about how it works). Pyridoxine Hydrochloride....

water soluble, excess is eliminated through urine. It works like a charm.

Just googled to check the spelling and accuracy - it appears it is American Ginseng related.
(Well, sorry, that link was broken - sorry).

But yes, B6. It works. Within minutes.

edit on 3/22/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:59 PM
reply to post by freedomSlave

Drugs are the easy way out than dealing with the problems in everyday life . However people can be lazy and just want a quick fix that requires no effort on their part while the root problem is never dealt with .

Couldn't have said that better myself. I believe this applies to most of our modern diseases and ailments as well.

It seems so many are brainwashed into taking a pill for every problem instead of utilizing some will power and making the needed lifestyle changes.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:01 PM
Not a good idea to flush meds. Crush them and put them in the garbage.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:06 PM

Halt any caffeine use for a month and see how you feel.

Excellent advice. If someone is at all panicky or anxious. Well the caffeine is just counter productive.

stresses the adrenal gland and kind of highlights all those anxiety symptoms.

I still drink coffee in the morning, but if I drink two or more cups It makes me feel not very well.

back when I was suffering from bad anxiety I drank a cup of coffee and then tried to go skateboarding and clear my head. A couple minutes into it I got a series of chest pains like I had never felt before and I got so freaked I had to go back home and lay down. I felt so freaking defeated.

Now I know it was just a muscle spasm that I manifested myself due to negative/anxious thinking, aided by the caffeine.

My heart is totally fine, back then I was sure working hard at making that not so.
edit on 22-3-2014 by GoShredAK because: grammer

edit on 22-3-2014 by GoShredAK because: grammer

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:13 PM

Not a good idea to flush meds. Crush them and put them in the garbage.

Ya that was a horrible idea. I was not thinking clearly at the time and just wanted to get rid of them.

this was near LA so I'm pretty sure the water supply is already totally screwed though

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 05:43 PM
reply to post by Restricted

Lorazepam is a benzo, though. Like an opiate.

I have a dear friend who, a few years ago, was prescribed both Lexapro AND Clonipin (clonazepam). But then again, Lexapro is generically called Escritalopam - which means it isn't just an SSRI, but also a benzo!

I myself was given Ativan (lorazepam) for various things over my lifetime.

Also SSRIs. Been on Zoloft (sertraline, and SSRI) for over 20 years.... The 'azepams' are benzos....the SSRI's are not.

But, if a person finds that a combination of those actually works, and then the doc says You're getting addicted, get off of it now (or wean yourself off of it)...the person becomes agitated all over again.

I realize that benzos are addictive, but if it works.....why cut it off, especially when you're middle aged or older???

If it works, it works.
Yes, yes, I get the 'pharma addiction agenda' thing....

but several of my loved ones have been helped to deal with anxiety/depression using these drugs. (often supplemented by alcohol and tobacco)
WA and CO come to mind....

edit on 3/22/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 05:43 PM

reply to post by GoShredAK

Man, I have those exact symptoms. I feel like I cannot get a good breath, and sometimes that becomes worse to where I go into a full panic. I have been struggling with anxiety off and on for 18 years. Sometimes I will go for a long time before the anxiety comes back. I have been prescribed Prozac in the past. I took it for a little over 3 years. I weaned myself off slowly. I did have some zaps and some other hard to describe symptoms, but it wasn't too bad. I have been prescribed klonopin off and on for years as well. I have to say that it works great for me. I try not to take it unless I absolutely have to because I don't want to become addicted. I am prescribed 1 mg, but I can take .5 mg and that seems to help a whole lot.If I take more it still works but I will become pretty tired. So far I have been able to do it this way and not become addicted. Just knowing that I can reach for the klonopin when I feel the anxiety coming on strong helps keep me from going into full panic. I know this method will not work for everyone, and I have probably been lucky not to become addicted to it yet. My new doctor just prescribed me Lexapro 10mg, and it is sitting at the pharmacy. I just don't want to get started on another med. Sorry about rambling on, but What I am really interested in is how I can change my diet and other natural things I can start doing to see how it might help. I don't want to be dependent on any meds and if changing my diet and doing other activities can fix my anxiety patterns , I would be so happy. If anybody can share some of the specific things that have helped them that would be great! Whatever I learn, and whatever works for me I will most definitely share with others.
Having these anxiety disorders and panic attacks are no way to live. Thanks so much for sharing. It means so much. I am going to start with cutting sugars back.
Has anyone had an experience of panic after exercising hard? I have had some times when I felt I couldn't catch my breath and that was frightening, and it keeps me a little worried about exercising too vigorously. I know it sounds like an excuse not to exercise, but I am going to try to build up my stamina slowly this time and see how it goes.

Any other tips?

my friend, you are not rambling at all and I appreciate your post.

It sounds like you and I have very similar experience with anxiety. I can relate to a lot of what you said here.

The shortness of breath that just persists and gets worse and worse throughout the day and can eventually lead to a panic attack is such a miserable feeling. It's really tough but I found that if I could find a way to break my train of thought away from my breathing it would go away.

If you continue to focus on how crappy you feel and try and take control of your automatic functions like breathing and heartbeat the physical symptoms start to snowball.

I also found a lot of comfort in having a benzodiazepine available just in case. Just knowing I had them would keep the anxiety away a lot of the time.

But those things became a problem for me and I had to stop, I had a prescription to Xanax a pretty much got addicted and blacked out and almost killed myself on accident a few times.

I've also freaked myself out by working out too hard. I don't like that suffocating feeling. Any amount of exercise is helpful you don't have to push yourself to the limit. However I have found that the harder you work and the worse it hurts, the better you feel in the end.

The answer is absolutely diet and exercise while eliminating negative thoughts.

cut out all sugars, artificial ingredients/sweeteners , and GMOs.

do as much physical activity as you can and chase your passion if you have one.

anytime you catch yourself thinking something negative, switch it with a positive thought!

these things healed me on so many levels.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:06 PM

I've been on each of those medications and more at one point or another in my life.

Benzos are awesome for killing anxiety and for a quick recovery from a panic attack.

But It seems they are also awesome at killing emotions and mental function in general.

I used to LOVE benzos, (especially Xanax) because they took all the worries and anxiety away. But your body builds up a tolerance and a physical addiction as well. So the longer you go the worse it gets.

The problem is, when you defeat your anxiety with a benzo, you have gained zero experience on how to defeat anxiety using your own mind.

edit on 2-4-2014 by GoShredAK because: Edit

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:17 PM
seroxat. zopiclone. without them things can get... difficult.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 11:26 PM

seroxat. zopiclone. without them things can get... difficult.

Well, seroxat (Paxil) is just another freakin antidepressant. Without those life can become wonderful.

Zopiclone just sounds like an advanced Benzo, which can be helpful in emergency situations if you are someone who is prone to high level panic disorder symptoms.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:07 PM
I have struggled with panic and anxiety. I went to the doctors and was immediately precribed cipralex and lorazapam. I was a zombie for a week after starting. Could not focus on anything and my mind would wander off to nothing. I also struggle with insomnia. Instead of taking lorazepam at the start of each attack, I was precribed Clonazepam which also helped me sleep. After being on them for over 6 months, I noticed that I really didn't feel any different. So i started to wean myself off the daily 20mg of cirpralex and only used the others if I rrrreally needed them. It was horrible. I felt like I had fireworks going off in my brain and a feeling like getting electrocuted throughout my entire body. I started reading into the SSRI's and because it was a serotonin depletion that would spark an attack (panic) I started eating Strawberries- eating and smelling Strawberries increases Serotonin in the brain. So instead of reaching for my zepams, I'd lovingly eat a handful of strawberries. Also, bananas contain Tryptophan-a protein that increases serotonin production.
Eat bananas,
Eat strawberries
Try to get a good sleep, or atleast a good rest
Eliminate coffee and sugars.
I hope this helps someone, anyone.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 06:27 PM
I have to say, somehow the world we live in is created that way! Sure some of us are not as bad as others; we just hid it better! Plus what you pay here, is only .10 elsewhere so more then likely is is nothing more to steal your hard earn money for something you can take care yourself!

If you look around, We are all Mental someway! Striving to be Perfect is something that van not be done! Yet the Lie exist out there for all to seek and live by. If you could spend just some time looking at what causes your anxiety and find the actually cause of it you would have at least toned it down some.

People cause more anxiety then anything else! Never do you hear " Let's work on it togetter" although offering a ride to go see a DR. is what you might here adding Go See would be more like it! Some have been taking pills since childhood since somehow the school system became involved in explaining whats wrong with your child then actually Teaching them something.

It really is so bad everything is linked so everybody ends up taking pills one way or another. To date, no war on drugs ever existed! If one actually wanted a war it would be simple. Legal! Every town would be a store you could buy anything you wanted, cash only! Since putting an age limit would be pointless anyway, why bother? Drug war taken care of!

Except for the money! Next would be the fun of it all, bad high and most would leave the crap alone. Lession learned. Now for the anxiety, it is not fun! Unless you are actually born with a problem, I Feel for you! As for the rest, grow up! You created your anxiety in the first place and since you being afraid to ask yourself and deal with it the best you can do all the acting out.

Might as well be a TV Show too! Not all but most get off from the reactions of others and another way fighting for control, excueses, or a plain Not dealing with yourself and your problems! We all have them! We all have Fear; something that limits are movements throughout life. That is fact!

What I do not get is the label on TV that tells you, You might Die, grow a 3nd Eye and have extras included! Study shows out of 2500 only 50 actually dies, 25 of them ended up with different issues, but all is Well! Now take 1,000,000 people and see how the side effects grow! Plus most tests are taken with special people in the first place, that changes the odds more.

Hopefully this comes off as rude and crude and maybe it will Wake You UP! One does not need pills to overcome things in life! What one needs is knowing no matter whatever the problems you are having. You have the power to take care of them yourself or at least accept them and work things out.

Later when someones child does grow a third eye, Watch Out! Next would be to cut it out for a fee. What if it was there for a reason? There is a reason for everything, spending too much time finding the reason is pointless. Deal with it and let it be, work with it and maybe someday it will show you another power you never knew you had!

It's like the juy who had a limp while growing up. Best he could do was work with it, overcome it and go on. Sure kids made fun of him, picked on but still went on with life. Sometimes problems never go away! Using pills just brings more problems later on!

Gald to hear you stopped taking them! Bet it was hard for the first few months! More like withdraws would you say? Did you find the reason for your anxiety yet? Simple is best, change some things around, work around the limits, and when you start showing yourself that you actually Love Yourself somehow the pain or what ever seems to bother you has no more power over you. Basicly you came to a point of acceptance of it and that all!

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 06:37 PM
reply to post by L0125D

Strawberries- eating and smelling Strawberries increases Serotonin in the brain. So instead of reaching for my zepams, I'd lovingly eat a handful of strawberries. Also, bananas contain Tryptophan-a protein that increases serotonin production.
Eat bananas,
Eat strawberries
Try to get a good sleep, or atleast a good rest
Eliminate coffee and sugars.
I hope this helps someone, anyone.

Awesome advice! thank you for posting here!

I would take it a step further and recommend a complete plant based diet heavy in fruits and veggies.
(that is cool about the strawberries though)

And eliminating sugars is a great thing too! I feel natural sugar is OK in moderation of course, but I think it's wise to avoid white sugar, and artificial sweeteners.

Since adopting this kind of diet my anxiety has greatly diminished, and my general outlook on life is so much brighter.

I could go on but I'm at work and should probably go do something productive.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:12 PM

Hi everyone.

I think people on this thread are right that medication is not the way to go, unless as a last resort. I found this guy to be really helpful, I listen daily. My God it is boring but it works. I just have it as my background noise when I'm going about my business, it really helps to drown out that negative chatterbox.

If we are going to talk positively on meds I would say Pregabalin (Lyrica) is absolutely amazing. It relieves worry without making you drowsy at all, in fact it seems bring your energy levels back up. I would happily swap a limb for a lifetime supply of Pregabalin. It costs £56 for a box of 28 pills though so they are very reluctant to give it out. (We don't pay for meds in Wales)

Valium I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, the bones in my body were grinding each other coming off that stuff.

PS, It might not be wise to listen to the meditations if you are prone to psychosis, it might end in delusions of grandeur.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:52 PM

Thanks for your story. I totally agree that diet and exercise are the key, but I also found that Vitamin B Complex is critical. The B vitamins should be taken together (sorry, I forget why! haha), in a balanced supplement (check out the Balanced B Complex by MegaFood made from real food - not chemicals).

To explain: About three years ago, I had severe panic attacks, heart palpitations, tingling, and dehydration. It came on quickly one day - I had never experienced this before! - and I had no idea what caused this - made my husband take me to the hospital. They couldn't find anything, and the panic attack started to lessen so I went home. I then went to my doctor who prescribed Wellbutrin. I took it once and I felt like a drunken sailor - told my doc I wasn't taking it anymore. You see, I worked for a pharmaceutical company and I am pretty familiar with drug side effects. Anyway, my doc couldn't find any physicial problem so I went to a cardiologist (to be sure my heart was ok) and he ordered a nuclear stress test. Boy, was that hard for me to get through - panic attack! - but everything was fine.

So, I decided I had to figure it out myself and I found some websites that provided guidance. The most consistent advice was B complex because the B vitamins nourish your nerves. At this point, I had been going through this for about 3 months, so I decided I had nothing to lose with taking a vitamin, right?, so I ordered the Balanced B Complex vitamins from MegaFood (Amazon carries them) and within 20 minutes of taking the first dose, I was so much better. I've been taking these everyday since...and haven't had any other panic attacks. Hope this helps someone else.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:10 PM

Chamomile. A big glass of chamomile tea in the morning worked wonders for me. It won't make you tired. It's not addicting. And it will calm your nerves. Back when I was working in the PR world I needed a glass of chamomile every morning just so I could step foot into the office it was do intense and nerve wracking. My hair literally started to fall out it was so stressful. But the chamomile helped immensely.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>