It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's talk about anxiety, and the related meds. Shall we?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I'm talking about the real deal. By which I mean; General anxiety disorder and full on panic disorder, and everything in between.

Not healthy normal anxiety.

First off, I offer my prayers and advice to anybody who experiences high anxiety on a regular basis.

Because, it sucks. I have some seriously intimate experience.

I've been to the ER over ten times because i was utterly convinced my heart was moments away from stopping.

It never did...

I have been through quite the gauntlet of "medication" ......pristiq, abilify, lexepro, and something with a Z. Lithium (and now for the benzos); ativan, Xanax, klonopin........boy oh boy can those dis -connect you from everything.

It's unbelievable how easily you can get ahold of these drugs. Somehow you can talk to a stranger for five minutes and be diagnosed as bi-polar and prescribed a potentially fatal med at the same time.

Not only potentially fatal, but completely physically addictive. Any of the those drugs have some horrific withdrawal symptoms attributed.

At some point I realized I was on the wrong path and decided to rid myself of those problems.

Against my doctors advice I began weening myself off of everything and succeeded.

......between those spaces is a lot more.....if anyone cares, just ask. I'll happily reply.

edit on 20-3-2014 by GoShredAK because: Edit

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Look into codependent relationships and your interactions with people. This can be a major factor in anxiety disorders. So to start you could analyze all your relationships, and slowly make changes for normal interaction that leaves you satisfied rather than all over the place.

I think you will find anyone with anxiety, unless they keep it totally to themselves have a habit of putting themselves as a victim, or special status that is demanding of people around them to take their condition into consideration (constantly). Either that or, anxiety causing self doubt will cause some to seek approval for everything, lacking confidence and quickly creating more codependent relationships based on approval seeking.

I had anxiety when I was younger, and I'd say it went away mainly when I created more independence for myself and set boundaries with any relationships that were codependent or bordering on. Hindsight 20/20. If I was told what I know now, back then, I would not have listened nor taken it lightly.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by GoShredAK

Sugar! I blame sugar. I had anxiety for years. Cut sugar out almost entirely so two years and bam, anxiety attacks were gone. Quit smoking and returned to sugar as a replacement and the anxiety came back.

Boncho, that could be for some people. It doesn't fit me however as I was the complete opposite, as in overly and unhealthily independent, untill the last couple of years. Maybe the one extreme or the other plays a role but i still say sugar. My guess is that people with anxiety have a level of insulin resistance. It is just my theory though.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I think you will find anyone with anxiety, unless they keep it totally to themselves have a habit of putting themselves as a victim, or special status that is demanding of people around them to take their condition into consideration (constantly). Either that or, anxiety causing self doubt will cause some to seek approval for everything, lacking confidence and quickly creating more codependent relationships based on approval seeking.

At first I was going to defend myself against that and say I'm actually quite humble and never would have drug anybody down with my own issues.......

However, after reading a second time with stronger scrutinization. I've realized that in a way, I was guilty of all of that.

It briefly wrecked my life.

This is where I wage my strong stance and belief of how you can manifest your own reality by way of positive/negative thinking.......

edit on 20-3-2014 by GoShredAK because: Always gotta edit

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   

calstorm

Sugar! I blame sugar. I had anxiety for years. Cut sugar out almost entirely so two years and bam, anxiety attacks were gone. Quit smoking and returned to sugar as a replacement and the anxiety came back.

Boncho, that could be for some people. It doesn't fit me however as I was the complete opposite, as in overly and unhealthily independent, untill the last couple of years. Maybe the one extreme or the other plays a role but i still say sugar. My guess is that people with anxiety have a level of insulin resistance. It is just my theory though.

Yes! And thank you!

Sugar is bad news....I agree. Back then I used to drink a lot of really sugary stuff.

Processed, white sugars, GMO, artificial, colored, flour, MSG, sucralose, aspartame, trans fats, freaking list goes on........

All bad=slow mental and physical health decline and dependence on the big pharmaceutical machine.....

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   

You know what you have bad anxiety and that can really suck but after reading your replies it is pretty clear you also have......Pride and not the foolish kind,honesty,humility,kindness.

Rarely have I seen honesty like yours. I came to this thread thinking one thing and left thinking the exact opposite.....BRAVO.
edit on 20-3-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-3-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

Dang, not sure what to say.

That was awesome and really kind. I do appreciate it.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
A very good quality B vitamin supplement is helpful with anxiety. Taken while having an attack you will notice almost immediate help.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   

So, intriguing post, but I'd love to know more about your success. Lets hear some specifics!

Great post with one complaint... Way too short!

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   

GoShredAK
reply to post by boncho

At first I was going to defend myself against that and say I'm actually quite humble and never would have drug anybody down with my own issues.......

However, after reading a second time with stronger scrutinization. I've realized that in a way, I was guilty of all of that.

It briefly wrecked my life.

This is where I wage my strong stance and belief of how you can manifest your own reality by way of positive/negative thinking.......

That's precisely why I added in my own account at the end too. To be honest I'm not fond of disclosing or discussing that kind of thing, but if I think it's going to help someone, it beats out any reservations I have with thinking so highly of myself now. (I'm a real asshole now). I know if someone said the same thing to me years ago I'd probably deny deny deny.

So anyways... For me being an asshole was exactly what the doctor ordered. I was once too nice, and then I felt like other people were making decisions for me, simply because I agreed to other people's opinions, ideas, direction, without stating my own case. Thus shedding responsibility for my actions and living for the gratification of others' approval. Terrible time in my life when I look back, but really it's more like I'm embarrassed it took so long for me to figure out. Today, sure anxiety comes around during stressful times, but it's something I can laugh off with friends, or make jokes about. It does not actually impact me to the point I'd look for medication.

The change in relationships was the most important step I had ever made.

Once I changed that around everything else changed. And of course, it goes a lot deeper than that. You can pick apart a million things that are tangled within it. But the key change goes back to relationships. And once you cut out the codependent relationships and start being independent, it's like night and day. Mind you, you have to be okay with giving these up, and depending on the family you came from, this is engrained in most people.

Here are some links for you if you'd like to read up on it, see if it applies to you:

psychcentral.com...

serenityonlinetherapy.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   

GoShredAK
reply to post by SubTruth

Dang, not sure what to say.

That was awesome and really kind. I do appreciate it.

-_-

chriskingman.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   

A friend of mine recently got diagnosed with depression, he had a break down at work and thought he had gone mad. His doctor was very quick to prescribe him anti-depressants.

He did a bit of research on them because he felt like he had done them before, but had never been prescribed them, turns out these pills had the same effects on endorphins and serotonin that a certain party chemical does!

I told him to come off these anti-depressants for one day, and come meditate with me and some other Buddhists. He hasn't touched one since and all I see is him posting statuses on Facebook about how alive he feels!

Medication should be a last resort scenario, mind exercises should be first.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I have really bad anxiety sometimes it gets so bad i feel like im going to choke because i can't breathe i was prescribed cymbalta 30mg but after a little bit of research after the first pill made me feel really weird i decided against them i still have a whole pack and was thinking of trying them again! But i don't really want to become dependant on something like that i have enough issues lol. I have only ever tried lexapro for a long term thing but that was for my bipolar @ 13 and they didnt really do much! i think it was the lowest dose though.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I have GAD, panic disorder, health anxiety etc. I take nothing for it. I am acutely aware of how medicines make me feel - I am currently on a course of antibiotics (cephalexin) for the first time in TWENTY years (you should have seen the pharmacists reaction to that!) And even that knocked me for six in the first 3 or so days. I have been prescribed useless meds mainly for depression, which I now realise is only a symptom of mismanaged anxiety for me. I was on zoloft and effexor. Effexor in my opinion is the WORST drug ever. Took me months to ween off it, I took it as slowly as possible and was still in bed for a month with every movement giving those head shocks you get.

Now I rely on methods to manage it like deep belly breathing, talking to my husband and family about what I'm feeling when I'm feeling it, I carry water, an inhaler and bachs rescue remedy everywhere (mainly to make me feel more like I have the tools to stop it rather than using them)

My first panic attack was like yours OP, I honestly thought I was dying. I lost my sight, couldn't stop my heart beating out of control, broke out in a total sweat and threw up everywhere. Tested at drs the next day and I had glandular fever, but the panic attack was brought on by that + anxiety I didn't know I had building up. Never had one as bad since, but I go through periods where I've had minor ones daily, or when leaving the house etc. I do see a psychologist now who is fantastic - never thought I'd see one but recent issues re: anxiety in this pregnancy have made me take charge and am very glad I did!

Thanks for sharing your story, I think it helps us all to hear from others similar, and helps open the eyes of people who think anxiety is just a normal thing that everyone gets, sometimes its absolutely crippling.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Back in High School I was prescribed Prozac for Depression/Anxiety. They started me at 10mg. Seemed great at first....until I started to feel numb to life. Then, they decided to bump me up to 15mg. More symptoms. Next thing I knew I was up to 20mg. Then 30mg. At that point I started getting those "unwanted" feelings where you start to second guess life. I had NEVER in my life felt SO NUMB to reality. How does upping dosage help???????

Then one day (about a year into the drug) I decided to quit taking it cold turkey-although they say NOT to do it that way, but to wean yourself off. I did just fine and those "unwanted" feelings went away quickly. However, I truly believe that the Prozac has permanently damaged me. I still have that "lack of emotion" feeling I felt on the Prozac. It wasn't to that extent before I ever took the drug.

Does anyone else feel this way after being off the meds?

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Pseudonaut

So, intriguing post, but I'd love to know more about your success. Lets hear some specifics!

Great post with one complaint... Way too short!

Absolutely,

My success in ridding myself of medications was a wonderful thing, but it was very difficult.

The real core of my experience took place within a six year period, and I'm just about three years deep into a much healthier life now....

I don't know how I got so far, and looking back, I never would have touched a pill, and probably would have had some choice words for the pusher (doctor)

I never needed them, I needed to change my thinking and my diet.

After a few trials of other meds I landed on pristiq. (the other ones made me feel crappy, but this one was the heavyweight champ) my doctor was just throwing sample packs at me like they were candy.

It got really bad when I was stupid enough to take docs advice and double the dosage from 50mg to 100.

This sent me into a mania. One of the most awful experiences ever. I literally did not sleep a wink for five days. My mind was so messed up, I remember laying in the couch night after night listening to what seemed like hundreds of voices in my head.

It was terrible. So after that episode I began the long uphill battle of weening myself off.

Youre not supposed to break those pills because they're time release, yet they didn't make one smaller than 50mg.

Ok.....how the heck is a guy supposed to stop? Because if you stop cold turkey,it causes freakish brain zaps which I believe is what can eventually lead to a seizure
along with a wide variety of other unpleasant symptoms.

So I started splitting them anyway, I basically took a smaller chunk every day until I was taking nothing. This eased the withdrawal symptoms tremendously, and made the process manageable.

Since that last little piece I feel like I've evolved into a better person. And I'm actually happy to have gone through it all because I know it's made me much stronger.

And I feel like I now have intimate knowledge of a very dark and scary side of the human experience.....

Anyway sorry if that seemed a bit scattered! I've left a lot out. But over time I would like to cover everything.

So I plan on getting back to everybody it'll just take a bit of time......

Gotta get ready for work, thanks again ATSers

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I have been alarmed at how easy it has been for me, in the past, to get a prescription for anti anxiety meds! I did need them, as some people do. But now I know there are alternatives.

Three doctors, at 3 different times, I went in and said "I'm really anxious and feeling depressed", they asked a few questions then wrote me a script. At the urging of a friend who is a nurse, I requested xx mg of xanax for immediate relief, which he did without batting an eye. I really did need help, but he had no idea I wasn't Dr shopping (it was my first visit to him EVER).

I still struggle sometimes, but have used natural means to help, and I believe that diet has a huge impact on mental health.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Medication should be a last resort scenario, mind exercises should be first.
reply to post by iRoyalty

agreed

and I think lots of physical exercise does wonders as well.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Shana91aus
I have really bad anxiety sometimes it gets so bad i feel like im going to choke because i can't breathe i was prescribed cymbalta 30mg but after a little bit of research after the first pill made me feel really weird i decided against them i still have a whole pack and was thinking of trying them again! But i don't really want to become dependant on something like that i have enough issues lol. I have only ever tried lexapro for a long term thing but that was for my bipolar @ 13 and they didnt really do much! i think it was the lowest dose though.

They started me on lexapro.

I also did not feel too much of an effect at first. However I did eventually develop the "brain zaps"

i feel for ya i remember the not being able to breath feeling. sometimes i would go a whole day just totally short of breath, and really tight chest feeling.

other times it would lead to a full on a panic attack where my heart would palpitate, i would get chest pains, couldn't breath....

at their worst, these attacks would cause all my muscles to seize up, all the way to my vocal chords. i couldn't walk or speak. freaking ridiculous.

and none of the meds helped...always made things worse....

i would recommend maybe scrutinizing your diet? cut out as much sugar and artificial stuff as possible.

also, (within your limits) get that heart pumping! good strenuous activity can really balance you out...

prayer and positive thinking! at least avoid negative thinking because it does us no good!

i think a lot of these behavioral/mental conditions are just a result of energies out of balance.

edit on 20-3-2014 by GoShredAK because: oops

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

I honestly thought I was dying

That rings true, I know that feeling, I've had it at least four times that I can think of, two of which were panic attacks.(the other two? Anybody can ask if they're curious)

A Terrifying yet privileged experience I think.

Geez, you lost your sight....so scary......I can totally see how that would happen......the furthest i got was losing the ability to speak (at the same time my hand, and leg muscles were completely locked up, it was crazy, only until I arrived at the ER did it go away.......see its all mental!

Positivity VS negativity, the answer to everything........

I only have 1% of data left on my iPad! So I'm trying to do this fast.

I'll re-up when I get paid, and will most likely be on my work computers tomorrow...

Catch ya later ATS, love you guys....
edit on 20-3-2014 by GoShredAK because: Par

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join