It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep paralysis - anyone here experienced it?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I used to experience "Sleep Paralysis" quite often a number of years ago - in the late 1980's. Of course, at the time I had never heard of it. It also happened to be while living in a house that I do suspect was actually haunted. Even after discounting experiences that I now believe were likely "Sleep Paralysis", there were other experiences that I still can not reasonably explain conventionally.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Aldakoopa
I've had it once when I was much younger. The funny thing is I had just seen something on TV a few days before that mentioned sleep paralysis. I'm glad I did because then I knew what was going on and I didn't panic too much.

I kept reminding myself that anything I would see was a hallucination because my mind was still dreaming. I knew I was in my room but couldn't look around much. I recognised my ceiling light fixture from the light coming in through the w i n d o w. I kept trying to move my arms but they wouldn't budge. Finally, they lifted straight up in the air, but then fell across my chest again still paralyzed. Then I felt like I was rising up in the air and I saw a bunch of lights like a UFO or something that kept getting closer and closer... but I kept telling myself it wasn't real. Then after a while I felt like I was falling again, and then I could move after it felt like I reached my bed again.

EDIT: Apparently you can't type W I N D O W
edit on 19-3-2014 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-3-2014 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

Astral projection? I have never achieved it myself.

OP. I have never had sleep paralysis as a bad thing but have limited version of it when I use this video where you really have to push hard to get the body to react since it was overly heavy/relaxed.

edit on 20-3-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by eliuk

I had it a bit a few years ago. But it was brought on by medication. It was bloody scary. To be awake but not move. Reminds me of a thrilla movie.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by EveStreet

Sometimes I get a buzzing pressure in the middle of my forehead.

Ki energy going thru your body and third eye pressure.
. Cool.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Question - has anybody experienced the actual falling like you see yourself on the bed motionless and you are falling into it, and then when you approach your body, you wake up..

That to me is the most bizzare, however that particular occurrence was not scary, i was very relaxed

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

eliuk
Question - has anybody experienced the actual falling like you see yourself on the bed motionless and you are falling into it, and then when you approach your body, you wake up..

That to me is the most bizzare, however that particular occurrence was not scary, i was very relaxed

Is that not a normal case of out of body/astral projection experiance?

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Abavs
reply to post by eliuk

I had it a bit a few years ago. But it was brought on by medication. It was bloody scary. To be awake but not move. Reminds me of a thrilla movie.

When I used to experience it, it was definitely scary as hell. It would feel like somebody was holding my body down to the bed. I couldn't move, and either couldn't open my eyes - or was just too scared to do so. I would try to scream, and I would get the sensations like my mouth was open and my vocal cords and lungs where working to scream - but no noise would come out! At the same time, I got a feeling like I was fighting "something" off - physically? psychically?. When it would be over, I would have sort-of "popped-up" in bed (like I had a spring behind my back boing!), panting and out of breath, and sometimes sweating heavily like I had just done some aerobics. It would take hours to fall back to sleep - if I managed to do so at all that night.

This would happen a few times a month, over a period of about a year that I lived in that location. After that, I moved out of town, and later to a different part of the country entirely. I had a few experiences after that, but not many - and usually in conjunction with a completely different nightmare. I haven't had any instances in like 15+ years now. About they time they stopped, is when I heard the term "Sleep Paralysis" for the first time, on some TV show describing it (might have been on "Sightings"? in the early 1990's).
edit on 2014-3-20 by EnhancedInterrogator because: Spelling, grammarish, etc.

edit on 2014-3-20 by EnhancedInterrogator because: Fur-matten and stuff.

edit on 2014-3-20 by EnhancedInterrogator because: Shift in the space-time continuum.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

LittleByLittle

eliuk

Oh, because it was very different to the sleep paralysis occurances

PS is out of body experience defined medically in any way?
i mean, did i sort of experience death?
have you experienced out of body before

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by eliuk

I have suffered with this for some time now, I am taking a fair bit of medication for osteoarthritis and a auto-immune disease,
I have suffered with sleep paralysis in the past before being on tablets but now on medication it has become alot worse!!
I take 8 chemotherapy tablets every monday (this is used to treat my auto immune disease)
I take 2 anti malaria tablets everyday (for the auto_immune disease)
i take 2 amitriptyline this is used as a muscle relaxant and to help me sleep
I take 1 mirtazapine every day as an anti-depressant as always feel down with pain!!
then there is strong morphine painkiller called Buprenorphine which wipes me out!!!
i get sleep paralysis 2 to 3 times per week and it can happen as many as 5 to 6 times per night and scares the crap out of me, which believe me takes a lot to scare me!!!
The other night i was laid in bed aware of my surroundings but couldn't move!! i could see the clock in the room so could see the time which was 02.10am, i saw a large haggered looking lady walk across my bedroom staring at me and out of the door!! i crapped myself i tried to move but couldn't, i then with all i had forced myself to jump so i could then move, i looked at the clock and it was 02.11am!!!!!
other times (don't laugh) i have seen thing like the curtain in my room being sucked through the window again i was aware of my surroundings!!!
My partner has even been talking to me whilst i have been nodding off and she has witnessed it happening to me!!
once it has happened needless to say i wont sleep that night as get worried it will happen again, Hope i am not alone in these experiences, OH and i recently read up online about this and it said that when in a state of sleep paralysis it is not uncommon to see an old woman!!! now that spooked me out.....

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by saddlesee

Oddly enough, during the period that I was experiencing it, I was not on any medications (legal or otherwise). Heck, back then I didn't even drink alcohol (stopped when I was like 16 or 17, didn't start again until my mid/late 20's).

The pattern that I noticed later was:

• I had physically uncomfortable or unusual sleeping accommodations. Sometimes this might be not sleeping in the same bed I would typically, and instead sleeping in a different location in the house - accommodate house guests or some such (Grand-parent's visiting, etc).
  • I had some reason to be "spooked" before going to bed - either because of watching something on TV ("X-Files") or other events that I still don't have reasonable/conventional explanations for (that's a whole 'nother story onto itself).

edit on 2014-3-20 by EnhancedInterrogator because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

Mine doesnt seem to have any trigger factors it just happens, I even tried sleeping in the day instead of night and got them in the daytime, I have tried sleeping in other rooms and even on the sofa and still get them, I am possitive it is made a lot worse because of the medication i am on unless there is an underlying medical reason or something playing on my mind that im not aware of...

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Has anyone had anything similar happen?

I go into sleep paralysis and I can hear my husband talking even though he is sleeping right next to me.

I wonder if I am hearing his mind or his astral self?

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Yes, I think in your case it's definitely brought-on my medication. I think mine might have more to do with spine/back issues - which didn't consciously bother me that much back then, but as I got older I notice more. That results in my sleeping in different positions and stuff, where allegedly putting pressure on the back of the skull also can induce stuff like this. I don't sleep on my back any more, only on my sides - and I don't get it any more. At least, that's part of what I remember from documentary I saw that mentioned it years ago - it can be brought-on by many things, medical, pharmaceutical, environmental and psychiatric.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

It is a horrible thing to have, i dont even talk about it to people in case they think you are barmy or something!!! i have been with my partner for 14 years and only just spoke about it and this was because she would ask why i keep getting up in the night or even not coming to bed, I have often ended up going 3 days solid with no sleep because of it!! doctor even gave me sleeping tablets but i refused to take them as 2 of the tablets i am on are sedatives and didnt want to be putting anymore crap in my body, I am very tempted to say stuff it to all the tablets i am on and see how i go without them...
Anyway my thoughts are with anyone who gets this as its not nice and can be extremely scary!!!

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

eliuk

LittleByLittle

eliuk

Oh, because it was very different to the sleep paralysis occurances

PS is out of body experience defined medically in any way?
i mean, did i sort of experience death?
have you experienced out of body before

No Astral Projection/Out of body experience that I can recall.

I only play around with spiritual energy to get the bliss-state. From what I have read you do not need to die to leave your body. From my way of thinking you are just projecting your consciousness to another place and your brain translates what is around you to visual information that you can experience.

Wikipedia might be a good start.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

MoonLightStars
Has anyone had anything similar happen?

I go into sleep paralysis and I can hear my husband talking even though he is sleeping right next to me.

I wonder if I am hearing his mind or his astral self?

Maybe limited telepathy thru synchronous connection?

Did you notice if the sound was thru the ears or within?

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Did you talk to your doctor about it? If not, you really should. Also, are your medications prescribed by different doctors? If so, you really need to have your "primary" doctor go over all of them with you - and see if there are any known conflicts and stuff.

You might be getting it so regularly, because of some drug "interaction" - where multiple medications overlap in unexpected ways and cause symptoms they either normally would not - or not as bad (i.e. the over-lap is exaggerating the side-effects).

You really, really need to talk to a doctor about all the medications you are on, and the symptoms you are having.

There may also be alternative medicines that don't contribute to the same symptoms.

Another thought is, on the physical level, do you happen sleep on your back? Do you have any posture issues?

Anyway, hope any of this helps in any way. I definitely feel for you. At a practical level, you're not getting sleep which makes everything in life worse. At psychological level - I know it is just scary as hell too!

PS: Just to be clear, I am not a doctor. Nor do I work in the medical field. Nor do I play a doctor on television. Just trying to think through this to see if there is anything to help.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Here's my story. I want to first state my understanding of sleep paralysis, then tell about the few experiences with it. From what I have seen, it is just a state. It may or may not be related to encountering ETs, demons, or other beings, but none of those things are absolute. It is just a state where the physical body is at or near a 'threshold' (for lack of a better term) with the consciousness. and may be induced by some of the aforementioned things or by the person themselves, but is not an indicator that one or more of those things is for sure happening.

That said, here is what I experienced many years ago. There was a brief period where I would have sleep paralysis. In almost every case, I had what I would call auditory hallucinations right before 'waking up' paralyzed. Sometimes it would be people talking in another room, etc. Then it would be followed by loud blasting sounds like someone blowing in my ear. At this point, I recognized that I was in this state. On two occasions, I woke up in this state, the blowing sound fully going on, and for some reason was determined to move. I used all my effort to get up, and suddenly was out of my body. The sound immediately went away and everything was very peaceful. The room was in a more or less grey-scale state visually (it was night).

In one case, I was very aware and was facing down with my head looking where my feet were, like I sat up and out so hard that I flipped somewhat over. I was very aware of the situation, so I very carefully turned around and looked at myself. I was laying there looking totally zonked (almost dead looking), and yet I could clearly understand that I was 'here' and that body was 'there'. The 'me' that knows was out. All at once I thought 'I should go back', and zap, I was back inside and aware that i was inside. Also, the paralysis was gone.

The next time this happened, I forced myself out and actually pushed myself out the side of the house and hovered over the driveway for a few seconds before panicking and zapping back in.

In neither case did I see or hear anything unusual while OOB, nor did I see anything unusual before, while just in SP. However, I am convinced after reading many experiences, that this state may be induced by alien abductors, and/or that while in this state, your physical body filters that keep you from seeing other dimensions may be reduced, allowing you to see things that you normally wouldn't.

That was many years ago, and having practiced Falun Dafa for many years, I have a much better understanding of how the mind-body connections work and how those barriers work. Haven't had any SP for 20 years or so, but can verify that it is a real phenomenon that can be associated with other very real good and bad experiences.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by eliuk

I did one night. I woke up in the middle of the night, scared stiff... literally. I could not move. I got that weird feeling that something was in the room with me, but I could not move to look and make sure. So, I decided if I could not move, then it was not worrying about, so I closed my eyes and went back to sleep/

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I have them all the time.
At least five a month.
Been having them for over 30 years....hate them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join