It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep paralysis - anyone here experienced it?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by eliuk

I used to get it when I was younger. It seemed to happen in varying degrees — usually starting with what seemed like a long detailed dream, then becoming aware I was in a dream, panicking within the dream and trying to force myself to wake up (In one particular dream I remember running around a castle trying to find an exit from the dream, eventually outside and putting my face into long grass thinking this would somehow wake me up..). Sometimes I would become aware I was in my bed, picturing myself lying in a bed, and thinking I knew which room I was in.. whilst somehow still 'seeing' the dream scene around me.

I think it was around that time that I became good at sensing when I was dreaming within the dream, although at that time I would usually desperately try to wake myself up as soon as I became aware. This led getting 'stuck' in more awake states than the earlier ones. Usually it would happen as I described above.. then the dream scene would fade and I would be aware that I was staring from behind my eyes, but I couldn't open them.. I knew what position I was lying in, and on some occasions I could hear my parents talking in the next room. Usually after trying to mentally shake myself awake I would wake up with a jump and gasping for breath. I say usually.. I suppose I managed it every time!

I think you mentioned the sense you dropped from above and were then unable to move in your body? I suppose that could be as your brain is coming out of the dream state.. you're kind of half dreaming that you are dropping and then as you are dreaming that you reach your body you become a bit more aware. I'm not sure.. I'm not expert, as you can probably tell!

I found the waking up issues eventually stopped when I started to not panic when I realised I was awake within the dream. I would become aware and then have the great thought of 'this is a dream, I can do what ever I want' .. I would then try and stay in the dream .. sometimes I could with varying degrees of success.. other times it would just fade and I would stay asleep or just wake up calmly and naturally.

Every so often I get something which feels related to this. As I am falling asleep my mind seems out of sync somehow — I feel my body going numb and that I'm unable to move (this usually happens when I've been awake longer than usual or my mind seems to be racing with thoughts), and I will jump up with a start, gasping in for breath. Sometimes that can happen 5 -10 times on a bad night, before I fall asleep. That doesn't happen that often though, maybe a couple of times a month at the most. Do you get anything like that at all?

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Yes sounds like plain old sleep paralysis nothing big.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   

TechniXcality
Once right when I first met my wife I awoke unable to move and what do you know at the bottom of my bed is a black hooded figure in the shape of an old woman. The entity promptly walks up beside me and put its hands around my neck hers or its face I could not see with exception of its red glowing eyes. I litterly was being chocked to death frantically trying to move and then I did. Poof just like that she/it disappears and all is normal only later did I read about old hag and those same experience s Im not one to belive in paranormal however something is truly going on with sleep paralysis

You may feel that way, I can't argue with that, but I do know the origins of where my sleep paralysis came from, and while it is scary it is also pretty mundane.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   

moth115
reply to post by eliuk

and I will jump up with a start, gasping in for breath.

Yes, many times i find myself like i have missed a breath, and i find myself short on breath
and i think to myself, `i almost died there`

one of the things im doing at the dotors is sorting my breathing problems out, as it scares me that i could stop breathing in my sleep

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   

crucified

I`d love to see you experience it...
truly experience it

it is the first time like the kind of feeling you may get awaking 6 feet under in a coffin

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Yes i used to experience sleep paralysis a lot. This was a period of my life when i was going to a lot of nightclubs, staying up late and being naive to the health effects of a lot of the things i was doing.

When returning on a flight home from Surfers Paradise in Queensland I fell asleep on my flight and immediately went into sleep paralysis. The flight attendant came over and asked if we wanted Tea of Coffee. I could not respond but i definitely heard her and the other passengers responses. Following the attendant, the guy on the window seat to my left went to the toilet and i could see his feet out the bottom of my semi shut eye lids as he climbed over me. I tried for what felt like hours to escape this feeling of utter hopelessness. When i finally managed to get out of the paralysis, i felt like I was being anesthetized and helplessly went straight back into the sleep paralysis. Possibly the worst 4 hours of my life.

Now since I've looked after my body, slept in regular cycles I've stopped having these episodes.

I remember someone telling me that sleep paralysis was the first step to lucid dreaming. I tried many times to leave my body but was unable to. It is very hard to keep concentrating when you think you will suffocate at any moment.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by eliuk

Not only do I vividly remember the first time I experienced sleep paralysis, but it also birthed a very silly habit. When it first happened, I thought I was being abducted by ETs! It lasted only for a few seconds, but it scared me so much that I proceeded to wrap myself in the bed covers like a mummy (I thought my protective bed covers wielded anti-ET powers).

It's been roughly three years since I last experienced sleep paralysis though.

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞Rational explanation for this phenomenon.☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
edit on 3/19/2014 by Nacirema because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by eliuk

Yes, I’ve had it twice, both times pretty scary because I didn’t know what it was.
If you sleep in the same position every night, try changing. Studies have shown it happens more often to people sleeping flat on their backs.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by eliuk

I've experienced it on a regular basis since my early 20's. There's been times that I was TOTALLY convinced I was dying of a heart attack or having a stroke. Total impending doom type of feelings. Other times, it isn't nearly as bad, more of just the head vibration/ears making a weird sound (not ringing, think Charlie Brown's teacher yelling right into your ear w/a megaphone) and not being able to move.

Most times, I can relax/breathe slowly and get myself out of it, other times I have to let it pass and wake myself up so to speak. I was curious and tried to go all OOB one time, and I'm pretty sure I nearly did but freaked out. That sort of stunk bc I was all like "yeah, lets see what all the hype is about, lets gooo spirit Lovebeck." LOL...

But, hey, that failed effort stopped the SP with a quickness, so that's a plus. I have learned over the years, you gotta stay positive when dealing with SP!

BTW: I've never had any alien feelings or like there were beings in the room. Not once. Dreams about them and other creepy cretins? Absolutely. Thank God said dreams have never occurred simultaneously w/the SP. I'd be off to the looney bin in no time!
edit on 19-3-2014 by lovebeck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Pauligirl
reply to post by eliuk

Yes, I’ve had it twice, both times pretty scary because I didn’t know what it was.
If you sleep in the same position every night, try changing. Studies have shown it happens more often to people sleeping flat on their backs.

I've had SP probably 100's of times over the last 18-20 years or so and I am, and have been, a right side sleeper only. Peeps that sleep on their backs are more likely to have episodes of obstructive sleep apnea though. I have to wonder if the OSA (obs sleep apnea) causes one to wake up, because they've stopped breathing, and then experience the SP because the body is still paralyzed?

Hmmm...

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

lovebeck

I've had SP probably 100's of times over the last 18-20 years or so and I am, and have been, a right side sleeper only. Peeps that sleep on their backs are more likely to have episodes of obstructive sleep apnea though. I have to wonder if the OSA (obs sleep apnea) causes one to wake up, because they've stopped breathing, and then experience the SP because the body is still paralyzed?

Hmmm...

There seems to be a link between the two

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I have experienced sleep paralysis twice in my life and both times were very frightening. Fortunately for me, I had already heard about it and read enough to know what was happening while it was happening.

The first time, I woke up in the middle of the night lying on my back unable to move and saw a dark figure standing over me (enough to scare the S*#@ out of anyone).

The second time, I woke up in the middle of the night lying on my stomach and there was some kind of small demon creature sitting on my back stabbing me repeatedly in the lower back/legs. This experience was much more frightening than the first.

I know exactly where you're coming from and all I can say is that I know you will find the strength and courage to not be afraid the next time it happens. I know how terrifying it can be since I too have gone through it, but stay strong and know that you will not be physically hurt from it.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by eliuk

I suffered from this regularly since I was a child. It can be caused by stress.

My symptoms included yours but also had auditory and physical hallucinations such as a loud buzzing noise and the feeling that the bed was levitating and vibrating.

Talk to your doctor about stress relief strategies.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by eliuk

I had sleep paralysis as a child and a teen, I guess puberty got rid of it, body chemistry changes and all that. I know a lot of people have it late into life and it is damned scary when you don't know what it is that is going on. So I built a machine to induce it LOL, since I think I know how it works and it rather interesting but I was running some experiments and I had EEG in my lab to play with, a nice little Grass 20 electrode system (which I later donated to a hospital in the Caribbean. There is a lot of talk, pro and con, about brain entrainment therapy for sleep paralysis, lucid dreaming, OBE's, etc., if you're up for it, get yourself a good unit and try it out. As I said, I built my own using a number of Intersil 8038 precision frequency generators to control the audio in the ear buds and the visuals using LED's mounted on glasses. I'd have to say it was a little more intense that certain kinds of cactus, but didn't have the down side as it was a controlled path into "sideways?"

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Nacirema
reply to post by eliuk

Not only do I vividly remember the first time I experienced sleep paralysis, but it also birthed a very silly habit. When it first happened, I thought I was being abducted by ETs! It lasted only for a few seconds, but it scared me so much that I proceeded to wrap myself in the bed covers like a mummy (I thought my protective bed covers wielded anti-ET powers).

It's been roughly three years since I last experienced sleep paralysis though.

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞Rational explanation for this phenomenon.☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
edit on 3/19/2014 by Nacirema because: (no reason given)

I was scared of ET as a kid and thought my blankey kept me safe as well! I could not sleep unless it was pulled up around my face and covered my ears. I usually slept facing the wall with my nose damn near touching it. At that time I didn't want to see what was in my room and thought if I pretended they weren't there then they'd go away. Later on I got to where I couldn't face the wall anymore bc I didn't like my back exposed, and I felt like I heard more weird noises facing the wall than facing the room.

As for the OP... I've been experiencing sleep paralysis for awhile now. It is very scary and it's hard sometimes when others brush it off as no big deal. I'm not completely convinced by the explanations given by medicine or science. I know there's a lot going on in this world that we do not understand no matter how much some people pretend! So I'm keeping my mind open.

I would suggest keeping a record of your experiences just like a dream journal. You might be able to figure out the triggers for you.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by eliuk

Have you dabbled in witchcraft, obe's, psychics, tarot, or anything of that nature?

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   

eliuk

crucified

I`d love to see you experience it...
truly experience it

it is the first time like the kind of feeling you may get awaking 6 feet under in a coffin

Well, I've experience SP as well, and agree with that poster. Once you get a grip on yourself, it's no big deal at all. Do not allow yourself to become irrational, educate yourself on the physiological aspects, and the mental links (i.e stress) to abate fears. Sleep paralysis is not anywhere near as frightening once you understand what's going on and why. I used to get it frequently when I was a teenager, and it was petrifying -- I couldn't even open my eyes, nor control my breathing. It was like I was a prisoner in the fleshy husk of my frozen, unresponsive body. I never assumed anything paranormal, I was not convinced of any "presences" I ever felt being anything but my own amplified fear, but I was convinced there was something wrong with me, that my body was broken or something.
Luckily, my sister-in-law was in the medical industry, and had stacks of medical books across god knows how many different things. I first read about sleep paralysis in one of them, and finally understanding what was going on lifted a huge weight of fear off me. That allowed me to stay cool & calm in future episodes of it, and that calmness had a direct effect on how quickly I came out of it.

Seriously, strive to be as zen as you can be about it, it helps big time.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   

EDIT: Apparently you can't type W I N D O W
reply to post by Aldakoopa

You can type window , you just can't put it at the end of a sentence followed by a period.

window window.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Oh man, PLENTY OF TIMES!!!
But my experiences can be scary and it has happened more than a few times to the point where I can actually feel the onset of it coming on.
For me, its like, I'm awake but very tired...as my eyes are open staring at the ceiling, I start to day dream, not dream like sleeping, but the intro to a daydream, all of a sudden I zone out of it, like I'm mentally falling, plucked from the entry to a day dream state...
Before I now it, I can't move, in-fact once you realize you CAN'T CHANGE YOUR RATE OF BREATHING because you in that paralysis state, you start to panic, like you can't get that one deep breath, just that low small intakes of air that doesn't seem to give you enough air....
You try to make noise, but only strange inaudible noise come out from your throat, you can't move and when you cam manage to move, its these little twitches from the leg an arms, perhaps your head as you try to move it.
It last for a what seems like eternity then all of a sudden its over, you find yourself sitting up, gulping in a huge vortex of air like you were underwater, your panting, talking to yourself about what just happened....
Its a scary experience and I find that after an initial sleep paralysis, if I keep thinking about, it will automatically throw me back into the sleep paralysis mode for a second run.
After all these years, I try to fight it, buts its hard, extremely hard, I have improved a little bit, with mentally pushing myself, fighting, but it really only shortens the experience, it'll still happen, guess that's better than nothing.
Great Thread OP, star n flag

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by eliuk

I used to experience it quite a lot, but its been years since the last episode. That last one was immediately following an out of body experience in which I was dragged around my room by an invisible entity.

Scary stuff whether there's an explanation for it or not.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join