It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "What On Earth Were They Thinking" thread

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I happen to be in several import stores the other day and came across some of the funniest and strangest 'named' products. I've always been into the weird and strange type "news items" and I'm constantly on the hunt for the off-the-wall 'slices-of-life' since even before my creation of the Mondo Bizarro series. So the making of a thread like this seems to be a rather simple stage of evolution (or is that de-evolution).

The challenge of course is to stay within the Terms and Conditions of ATS (which makes it harder because there are some really weirdly named items that cross the "T&Cs" line). Whats even more bizarre is foreign items that don't seem to translate well into English. So lets just be aware of that fact... MmmKay? (In other words, if you have to ask yourself if it's over the line, it probably is...).

So here's a few of the products that I found in the store's. It's my hope that you'll add to the thread with whatever quirky named item you also have come across and or found.

Because you never know when you might need an Other-Worldly Clean up

MMmmmm... They say everything tastes good with Bacon...

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Heres a classic
Well that didn' work%&+%#!!damn tablet won't let me copy the code.!
edit on 3/19/2014 by Kukri because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/19/2014 by Kukri because: stupid Android junk

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyAnonymous

Love this thread Johnny.

This is from personal experience, that goes to prove bigger is not necessarily better.

I was shopping in my local grocery store and saw bags of Jumbo Marshmallows. I love marshmallows and thought, "how cool, these will be great for the next campfire.", so tossed a bag in my cart.

Nice giant marshmallows..no? Should be big fun...right?

No, they are not big fun. They are a big disappointment.

Upon pushing these jumbo monster marshmallows onto a stick for roasting, mouth watering in expectation of yummy gooey melted goodness...it soon became apparent, they are so big, the inside won't melt. Won't even get warm.

After charring one after another in attempts to find a melting point for the center, we all decided they were only a ploy to makes is buy something we would only end up burning beyond edible, in quest for a bigger serving of yumminess that only the regular size marshmallow could deliver.

What where they thinking, is right...

Des

edit on 19-3-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Talking about bacon :

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Like these?

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

Crap your hands!
Pet sweat!!
$hitto sauce!!!

LOL

edit on 19-3-2014 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Well I don't care enough to upload a picture but just recently
Lay's introduced a new product...

Chicken Waffle Potato Chips

Strangest combination of flavors ever...

The product even spawned a game between me and my daughter.

We use to play a game where we would create the two weirdest
things to ask someone to go get....as in....Go get me the toilet plunger
and a bagel, quick!

Now that has morphed into...Please pass the bar-b-que and tuna potato chips

I know...we're a bit weird

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   

rival

Chicken Waffle Potato Chips
Strangest combination of flavors ever...

You mean like these?

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   
How about the infamous disgusting Jelly Belly flavours they've had over the years... They actually came out with a package called "BeanBoozled" where the jelly beans look exactly the same so you have no idea which one you're putting in your mouth.

From personal experience, the absolute worst one for me was the "Barf" flavoured one. It literally tasted like that horrible acid taste you get in your mouth and nose when you puke.

How the hell do they even capture that kind of taste in a jelly bean ?!

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Some nice hot relish anyone?

I imagine saying this with a scottish accent

Hot!!!

Bally

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Remember when we used to sneak up and lick Grandma and she'd taste like Raspberry Jam?

When your wanting that really "Knocked Out" feeling in a fragrance..!

No need to get all Bummed out... Just sit on it and have some Ice Cream!

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I just came back from the "Dollar Tree" store (nothing over a dollar-type). I nearly choked to death on my own spittle from the laughter. I literally had store employees looking down the aisle to see what the commotion was all about...

If you have problems figuring this one out, then you shouldn't have kids!

(eta) Relief for the Un-Happy Butt. And who of us hasn't had an unhappy butt or two...?

edit on 3/20/2014 by JohnnyAnonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Many years ago, in France, our family came across the popular drink Pschit. My diary reports that it left a sherbet taste in the mouth.
I wonder what their export sales were like. Have you come across it?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   

I think perhaps they weren't thinking! I have seen a few things, wish I had pics, that I could post, but they'd be "over the line"! Some were TOYS, too! Toys that looked like, well, things not for children, that were made FOR children. Love the thread.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Here's one I can see some little old purple/blue haired ladies actually taking advantage of.. First, here is the marketing spiel of the company known as LifeGem:

Like the memory of a loved one, a diamond lasts forever.

What exactly is a LifeGem diamond? The LifeGem is a certified, high-quality diamond created from a lock of hair, or the cremated ashes of your loved one as a memorial to their unique life. Whether you've lost a loved one or simply want to celebrate your love, the LifeGem diamond provides a way to embrace your loved one’s memory day by day. The LifeGem® is the most unique and timeless tribute available for creating a testimony to their unique life.

So for those that don't quite get it yet, let me visualize it for you. And although LifeGem will work on any living thing (yes, humans too), we'll use Fluffy for our example.

This is Fluffy

This is Fluffy and sadly, poor Fluffy is dead.

This is Fluffy after visiting LifeGem

Now I will add the caveat that some folks would actually find this appealing (not unlike those that have their pets stuffed and sitting on the couch like they're still alive). I should also add right here and now that no animals were harmed in the making of this post....

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Re: LifeGem

I tease my family about wanting to be cremated and turned into diamond rings for the family to pass on to all the generations.

Or maybe even (if I don't die too son), a diamond-based computer.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I worked in China for 2 years, and came across some weird, and funny product names, but this one takes the cake.
It's like they're not even trying anymore....

Cheap, fast, and easy indeed.
edit on 21/3/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Great thread!

When I lived in Brazil (I'm brazilian, ex-pat for years now) there was a chinese car named CHANA. It would just be a strange name, if CHANA wasn't a slang for vagina.

And to make things worse, the car was available in two versions: work and family.

Needless to say it wasn't a big hit!

(it is the second car from top on this site: classic--carz.blogspot.com.ar...)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I like this one almost as much as the creepy thread, keep em' coming!

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Tylerdurden1

Okay, do you think this sexist coffee ad would fly today?

Or this 7-up? They even said it was better than milk and to mix them to get them used to it!:

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join