It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football Soccer Displays Fractal Dynamics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Here's an interesting story that once again shows the near ubiquity of the principle of fractals. I personally believe that fractals can be found in everything, but here's an example of fractals being found in football soccer (or soccer as we Americans call it).

The authors considered two scenarios of previous football matches. Namely, they focused on a quarter-final game in the 2008 FIFA Club World Cup and a regular game in the 2011 Japanese soccer league. Using a digital video camera, they then recorded the time fluctuation in the positions of all players and the ball.

Thanks to their analysis of the time-series variation in the ball versus the front-line movements of the players, they were the first to discover that these dynamics have a fractal nature. This finding implies that the movement of the ball/front-line at any given time has a strong influence on subsequent actions. This is due to the so-called memory effect, linked to the game's fractal nature.

The authors therefore found that for professional football games, the ball possession time for one team lasts only thirty seconds, at most. As a result, the superiority of one team tends to persist for thirty seconds or less before the other team gets an opportunity to regain the advantage. The authors show that their conclusion is in broad agreement with previous studies on the 2002 FIFA World Cup.

Football Displays Fractal Dynamics -- Science Daily

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
i am going to need another person to explain how they ascertain "fractal dynamics" from what is discussed.

What they seem to be showing is what a level of stasis in a system can look like. If you change the team dynamics and have 1 team be far superior, then you end up with a harder to explain scenario.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

They don't make the study itself publicly viewable, but from what I gather, the game is dominated by a span of 30 minutes. Within those 30 minutes, things digress to a state that is similar but more chaotic than what happened at the start of the 30 minutes, and then build back up again. It's kind of hard to say since Science Daily gives us so much limited information to go on. I tried to find this story on a much better site, but it's only on sites like Science Codex and Science Daily. I just thought that the fractal aspect was interesting, and it's also interesting to see that fractals seem to appear everywhere.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio

They don't make the study itself publicly viewable, but from what I gather, the game is dominated by a span of 30 minutes. Within those 30 minutes, things digress to a state that is similar but more chaotic than what happened at the start of the 30 minutes, and then build back up again. It's kind of hard to say since Science Daily gives us so much limited information to go on. I tried to find this story on a much better site, but it's only on sites like Science Codex and Science Daily. I just thought that the fractal aspect was interesting, and it's also interesting to see that fractals seem to appear everywhere.

oh, absolutely.

my interest here would be how human behavior exhibits the essence of fractal dynamics. I have pondered this for awhile. The axiom of "as above, so below", and how the fact that we are of this universe would mean that we have the rule of the universe ingrained on every aspect of us. How does this express in the way we think? Feel? Especially "feel", as the neurochemicals for emotion seem to have such a strong effect on us, and are of a much less sublime nature than the neurochemical reactions that are concurrent with simple thoughts.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Your ideas are similar to mine. When I first heard of fractals, I started to kind of thought-spiral. I started riffing off the idea that even religious (man-made of course) ideas were based off of fractals. For example, it starts with God, then goes on to Jesus (I'm sort of a Jehovah's Witness so I don't exactly believe that Jesus is God Himself), and then angels, and then humans, and then animals. That's as far as religious dogma is concerned. I think that pretty much anything could be considered to be a fractal.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio

Your ideas are similar to mine. When I first heard of fractals, I started to kind of thought-spiral. I started riffing off the idea that even religious (man-made of course) ideas were based off of fractals. For example, it starts with God, then goes on to Jesus (I'm sort of a Jehovah's Witness so I don't exactly believe that Jesus is God Himself), and then angels, and then humans, and then animals. That's as far as religious dogma is concerned. I think that pretty much anything could be considered to be a fractal.

I have not studied any possible esoterica behind the specifics of jehovas witnesses. But on the whole, the abrahamic religions are founded on The Mysteries. The Mysteries are, in the simplest of terms, a mnemonic methodology for passing down knowledge gained by eons of astute, observant, clever, and intelligent people each adding their own understanding to the body as a whole. By the time you get to "biblical times", The Mysteries were already in place as a course of study for the curious individual.

If you want to understand better what you just mentioned, esoterica should help. There IS a meaning behind the monad/duad/triad...numbers have meanings. And the meanings in this regard are very multifaceted. Manly P Halls "Secret Teachings of All Ages" is fairly voluminous, but absolutely a good start.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Before I became a Jehovah's Witness, the best way I can put it is that I mastered at dabbling with esoteric mysteries such as what you speak of. I kind of duped myself into becoming a Jehovah's Witness. The reason I say that is because, based on the books that I was reading at the time, I should have known better. So now, I'm dabbling in secret for fear of being disfellowshipped. I live in an apartment complex with more than a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses, so being disfellowshiped would affect me greatly. Disfellowshipping is when you "turn your back on God," and are basically ignored because of something that the Bible mentions. I've come to understand via independent research that the Bible has subtle references to astrology, and perhaps had more overt references to astrology (as well as other things) but that those things were edited out. I've looked at certain pages of Secret Teachings of All Ages. It's pretty interesting. I'd have to read the whole thing, but my personal preference is the Ra material. I'm an absolute convert. I just wish that there were more sessions than the 105 or so that exist. Have you read the Ra material?

top topics

join