It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Owner of Minneapolis restaurant defends Nazi-themed dinner party

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

A German restaurant in Minneapolis in facing a firestorm of criticism for hosting a private party for diners dressed up in Nazi uniforms, which was held on Martin Luther King Day.

The Jan. 20 party drew concern from an unnamed staff member at the Gasthof zur Gemutlichkeit restaurant, who decided to snap several photos of the event.

The cellphone images, which show men dressed up in Nazi SS uniforms under four Nazi banners hanging in one of the restaurant’s dining rooms, were anonymously published online this week in the Twin Cities publication City Pages.

This is a tough one for me. I most certainly support the right of people to reenact history, even the history of dark times, but I wonder if these people weren't in some way glorifying the Nazi regime. We are all fortunate to live in a time here in America where we still have a modicum of freedom and the right to 'celebrate' things and ideologies that are unpopular. It was, after all, a private party and no one was being hurt.

So what do you think? Was this an innocent recreation or a not so innocent celebration? I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle of these two extremes.

Source
edit on 2014/3/19 by Metallicus because: Added Source

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Metallicus

Are there laws in the US as there are in some countries that ban the nazi displays(swastikas, SS, 88, and some more)? If not, it may be disgusting, but no one seemed to make a stink when max mosley had that same kind of party few years ago.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I saw this on the news this morning -- apparently it was a "World War II" re-enactment event, not just Nazis. There were people dressed in American and British uniforms, as well, but the person taking the pictures (a now ex-employee) just snapped the German section.

The owner suggested that it was no different than someone making a World War II movie -- would people be protesting that there were people dressed in SS uniforms for that? Don't know that I fully agree with that, but I guess he has a point -- no one says that Civil War re-enactors are in favour of slavery.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Yusomad

Are there laws in the US as there are in some countries that ban the nazi displays(swastikas, SS, 88, and some more)? If not, it may be disgusting, but no one seemed to make a stink when max mosley had that same kind of party few years ago.

No, there are no laws in the US that ban Nazis displays and frankly I wouldn't support them if they did exist. I don't subscribe to the school of thought that you ban something you might not want to hear or talk about.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I'm old....back in the fifties and sixties, I was young. WWII was still fresh in peoples minds.

I was taught that anything Nazi was taboo and that was pretty much universal attitude then.

It should stay that way forever...think about it.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Can you provide a link to he story?
Would like to read further before I respond.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Reenactment =/= celebration

We should beware of the return of the Nazi ideology, not the Nazi costumes. One of my schoolmates dressed up in Hitler Youth uniform at Halloween back when I was in primary school, and she wasn't making a statement.
edit on 19-3-2014 by Cathcart because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

adjensen
I saw this on the news this morning -- apparently it was a "World War II" re-enactment event, not just Nazis. There were people dressed in American and British uniforms, as well, but the person taking the pictures (a now ex-employee) just snapped the German section.

The owner suggested that it was no different than someone making a World War II movie -- would people be protesting that there were people dressed in SS uniforms for that? Don't know that I fully agree with that, but I guess he has a point -- no one says that Civil War re-enactors are in favour of slavery.

Very true and I thought about this when I was posting the thread. I just can't help thinking there was a little more to this than meets the eye. Regardless, they have the right to have a private party with any theme they wish.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Does it really matter what the intent was behind the dinner? Whether it's a goof, an accurate reenactment or a bunch of neo-Nazi's having brunch it's his right, everybody's right, to do as they please as long as they arent harming anyone or any property that isnt their own.

I imagine if Hogan's Heroes were pitched as an idea these days the writers would be lynched in the streets. You know, for the sake of tolerance.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Here is another story on the party:

The man behind a World War II party that featured Nazi flags and men dressed in SS uniforms said it was an exercise for actors who play historical roles at fairs and in movies, not a political statement. (Source)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

defuntion

Can you provide a link to he story?
Would like to read further before I respond.

Done, and thank you for pointing out my omission.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Cathcart
Reenactment =/= celebration

We should beware of the return of the Nazi ideology, not the Nazi costumes. One of my schoolmates dressed up in Hitler Youth uniform at Halloween back when I was in primary school, and she wasn't making a statement.
edit on 19-3-2014 by Cathcart because: (no reason given)

So a child dressed up as that for a halloween....

Yet these are adults who fully know what they are doing, and its not at halloween.

However that being said, it's their right to be weirdo racist douche bags with nazi fetishes.

Do I think its stupid, pretty much, yes.

Yet they are no different than westboro or any of the massive clusters of idiots found across this globe.

adjensen
Here is another story on the party:

The man behind a World War II party that featured Nazi flags and men dressed in SS uniforms said it was an exercise for actors who play historical roles at fairs and in movies, not a political statement. (Source)

This makes a difference, I suppose in the eyes of the public, but to dress up as a Nazi with some sort of fulfillment fantasy or wishing for a 4th Reich is just retarded.

Lys did not read article fully just snippet, this I admit.

edit on 19-3-2014 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I'm Jewish and I am NOT thrilled with the display. But there is a First Amendment and this is in a private restaurant. So let Nazis be Nazis and enjoy their hateful and angry knockwurst and sauerkraut.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Doesn't matter a whole lot what I think on this outside of acknowledging that doing this was their First Amendment right and probably a really bad idea. I find it rather distasteful and probably doesn't help the Germanic descent community in the area in terms of view. What really matters is how the people living in Minneapolis feel about it because they are the ones that control whether this place stays afloat or goes down in bankruptcy. From a business perspective, it was probably a dumb move on the owners' part because such an event, even as a re-enactment, is most likely not going to be viewed favorably. Considering the seeming age of the men, I wonder how many people are pondering whether any of them were actually Nazis. Wouldn't be that big of a stretch of ye olde imagination.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
So some people dressed up as Nazis. So what? Who got hurt? Who died? No one. They had a party. Big deal.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I do so love faux outrage!

We should also ban roman centurion uniforms,Mao costumes, Stalin costumes, Mongol horde costumes, US Cavalry costumes and anything else associated with the wrong side of history. I'd say we should only party naked but that would also be offensive to most of the PC crowd. Facepalm!

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I thought this was America, where people could do what they wanted as long as it doesn't trample on others liberty ?

I may not like what you think or say, but I will defend your right to think or say it.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Who cares. It was a private party. I don't have to Like it but I wasn't invited so.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Typical, make something big outta nothing. It was a party and there were more than just people dressed as nazis.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
It's been 69 years since those uniforms were an actual threat to our lives and freedoms.

When are we going to move on?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join