It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget the BRICs: Meet the PINEs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Forget the BRICs; Meet the PINEs

While many emerging markets are taking a beating, a fantastic growth story in the developing world is widening and drawing in new countries

Emerging markets are taking a beating these days, most of all the famous BRIC economies ­— Brazil, Russia, India and China. These four once seemed poised to dominate a post-American world. Not anymore. Brazil and India are posting growth rates that are only a fraction of what they were a couple of years ago. Russia’s prospects, already hampered by an overbearing state, are unlikely to improve as its aggressive moves into Ukraine could force Europe and the U.S. to impose economic sanctions. Even mighty China, while still notching admirable growth, must confront rising debt and a distorted financial system. The supremacy of the emerging world suddenly seems very far off.

But look past these headline grabbers, and you’ll find other emerging economies continuing to show economic strength. So for now, forget the BRICs; take a look at the PINEs.

With all this talk of War and what not I was doing some research and came across this. It's a few days old but seems very interesting. I'd like to hear from those members who are bit more astute than I on this topic. For what it's worth

Enjoy...
edit on 19-3-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

SLAYER69

Forget the BRICs; Meet the PINEs

While many emerging markets are taking a beating, a fantastic growth story in the developing world is widening and drawing in new countries

Emerging markets are taking a beating these days, most of all the famous BRIC economies ­— Brazil, Russia, India and China. These four once seemed poised to dominate a post-American world. Not anymore. Brazil and India are posting growth rates that are only a fraction of what they were a couple of years ago. Russia’s prospects, already hampered by an overbearing state, are unlikely to improve as its aggressive moves into Ukraine could force Europe and the U.S. to impose economic sanctions. Even mighty China, while still notching admirable growth, must confront rising debt and a distorted financial system. The supremacy of the emerging world suddenly seems very far off.

But look past these headline grabbers, and you’ll find other emerging economies continuing to show economic strength. So for now, forget the BRICs; take a look at the PINEs.

With ll this talk of War and what not I was doing some research and came across this. It's a few days old but seem very interesting. I'd like to hear from those members who are bit more astute than I on this topic. For what it's worth

Enjoy...

The Philippines, Indonesia, Ethiopia and Nigeria? Speculative at best, brother.

Indonesia ... maybe. The Philippines are really spread out geographically.

E&N ... can't buy it. Those two are countries I would never step foot into (again). Flat out dangerous places to be.

ETA: I say the smartest investment ATM is Europe. An opinion ... color me stupid ... but I think they're going to surge economically over the next ten years. If the Euro can be sustained, I expect a pat on the back.

edit on 1932014 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
when you are so far down, the upside growth can look lofty. having clean water, safe food, and controlling tropical diseases in Nigeria, and Ethiopia, would yield enormous results in that growth.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

Sure thing, But once upon a time India and China were very backwards compared to Europe and North America. They've come a long way baby and these seems to be potentially on the march as well.

the PINEs still represent a major opportunity for international companies to invest, expand and find new customers. The PINEs, after all, have a combined population of about 600 million people. So don’t be too quick to dismiss the emerging-markets story. The meek may yet inherit the world.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
With the BRIC and the new PINE taking more of the PIE the USA will have less .And if the EU is expecting to get a piece of the PIE then maybe the smaller ones will have to rely on each other .US is said to be in decline so someone is getting more .Crazy business to get a good grip on but the Asian markets are the ones that are said to be where it's at .That Pine market may just go with the BRIC .Seems reasonable just for logistic purposes

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I don't think they will have anyone #ting BRICs any time soon. No nukes, no seats on security council, no real military to speak of between them, all relatively small geographically and with few resources compared to BRICs nations. The following are economic stats of BRICs nations and PINE nations for comparison. As you can see they are no where near to being in the same league as BRICs economically. The combined GDP of PINE nations is less than the GDP of any of the BRICs nations individually. Statistics are in the link below as well as many other stats.

PINE

Ethiopia

GDP: $118.2 billion

GDP per capita: $1,300

Indonesia

GDP: $867.5 billion

GDP per capita: $5,200

Philippines

GDP: $272.2 billion

GDP per Capita: $4,700

Nigeria

GDP: $478.5 billion

GDP per capita: $2,800

BRICs

Brazil

GDP: $2.422 trillion

GDP per capita: $12,100

China

GDP: $13.37 trillion

GDP per capita: $9,800

India

GDP: $4.962 trillion

GDP per capita: $4,000

Russia

GDP: $2.553 trillion

GDP per capita: $18,100

www.cia.gov...

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by john452

Yes, this is a story about potential growth, Plenty of room for those to grow, just as China and India have grown to their present status.

This isnt about anybody missing with them as you less politely put it .

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I should have read more than the title. In terms of investments opportunities they might be good, it would probably vary from nation to nation and what you plan to invest in and how much risk you want but if we are talking about becoming a group with global influence and power in the future then that is very unlikely and they certainly aren't now. The only reason I have ever seen the BRICs nations linked together is as an emerging political, economic and military counterbalance to the west so that is what I thought was being suggested by linking those nations together and comparing them to BRICs.
edit on 19-3-2014 by john452 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

India, Myanmar (or Burma...), Romania, Bolivia, and many more are booming, not in all cases due to changes in infrastructure but in a lot of cases its because their markets weren't regulated by foreign currency, gold or oil prices alone, like the dependent markets in the west, one market goes over here it has a knock on effect, they are more decentralised and therefore shielded from this and we only never involved them in our currency set up because they had no money... so starting with no money shielded them from losing any...

India is producing a lot of freelance IT professionals so they are receiving massive investment from western tech. companies and I would say they have a better attitude towards education since they had to try harder to compete and we in the west became a bit arrogant that our place at the top was a permanent thing, once achieved, never lost (especially in the UK and America)

This isn't mentioning the fact that these countries have around 2 billion potential workers and very little in the way of wage laws... so cheap labour always draws investment, which is why they are trying to make us desperate for work over here, so that they can eventually drive wages down again, eventually we'll have a global minimum wage, to make it easier to work anywhere but my bet is it will be a low wage.... obviously...

China is losing investment because its in a self made mini recession to bring its yearly growth down from 10% to a more manageable 6.5-7% over 5 years, this is still leaps and bounds away from the >1% growth in Europe and America but it still means the market is on its way down, not up, which is scaring away investors... but its temporary as their recession isn't market based like ours, its been done by the government holding back on the printing of money, as soon as the growth shrinks to where they want, they'll start printing and investing again to create the millions of new jobs they need every year for their birthrate, so China is still pretty safe for investment in the long term.

IMHO , Myanmar is the one to watch, they are even building future proof cities expecting massive growth, 16 lane roads when no one drives yet... they know what's coming and they're getting a lot of western interest as it is a huge nation with MASSIVE untapped natural resources.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

S&F also btw as this is a topic very rarely raised in the west except on obscure financial programs but it is a very interesting subject, speculative future markets and I think soon that them not being big military powers is going to be another advantage as people will soon be tired of military might having an effect on currency through a form of economic enforcement or threats.. so people will flock to countries who speak through results and profits and not through force as force alone is unsustainable, it loses its effect once everyone knows the bully and starts to conspire behind their back ...

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Well... We all new china and India would lose there investments and the west would look elsewhere when they began to side with Russia after decades of hand outs

Can't blame them for looking for new emerging markets to do business with

I mean when you're a country that holds 1/3 of the worlds poor and has its own space program and 4 aircraft carriers you need to be stopped receiving benefits tbh
edit on 28-3-2014 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Elijah23

S&F also btw as this is a topic very rarely raised in the west except on obscure financial programs but it is a very interesting subject, speculative future markets and I think soon that them not being big military powers is going to be another advantage as people will soon be tired of military might having an effect on currency through a form of economic enforcement or threats.. so people will flock to countries who speak through results and profits and not through force as force alone is unsustainable, it loses its effect once everyone knows the bully and starts to conspire behind their back ...

True, but the PINES will build a military worthy of note and it will depend on how they use it and weather they chose to rival the west and her allies, should they chose to do so then investment will be shut down and they'll look elsewhere

The Philippines and Indonesia are generally on the receiving end of China's expansion plans and threats this will be a nice balance in the region and good friends for Taiwan Japan & South Korea to have

new topics

top topics

join