It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Since when is it ACCEPTABLE to punish a 18 mth old and lock it in a shed for nearly an HOUR?????????

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   
ok well I have moved to the big city and living in a suburb for the past 4 weeks.

Well, I am used to screaming and dramas cos I lived in a bad area before I moved here, but yesterday I nearly got arrested cos the cop 'thought I had attitude' well too bloody right I had attitude.. why cos some People directly over the road from me put their kid in the carport shed and let it scream for nearly 3/4s of an hour.

well... I was inside and could here this little kid screaming, I went outside to listen to where it was coming from and even walked across the road cos I thought the kid might have got locked in their car. The kid wasn't in the car, it was in the effing shed.

edit on CDT05000000Wed, 19 Mar 2014 05:47:38 -05004738am77 by Thurisaz because: posted before I clicked post ??

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

anyway, I ring the cops cos I think...maybe the Parent has injured itself and the kid is wandering around the place seeking help.

the cops take 15 minutes to get there and I heard the kids crying 'quieten' as if it had been moved from the shed. When the cops knocked at their door, the eff head comes out holding the kid like nothing has happened. Well, I lost my gazoolies and was yellilng at him, saying, that I know he had the kid in the shed and it was me that called the cops and I would be keeping an eye on them from then on.

anyway, now I look like I am the bad one who over reacted.

but since when is putting a little 18 month old in a shed acceptable effing discipline?????

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   

The cops says to me... " Oh well... sometimes a kid has to be allowed to cry a tantrum out!"

*&^%$## Never in my history as a Parent have I let them cry it out for that amount of time, nor put them in time out, like an effing shed!!!!

Welcome to the neighborhood.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   

anyway, now I look like I am the bad one who over reacted.

You most certainly are, because of this,

Well, I lost my gazoolies and was yellilng at him, saying, that I know he had the kid in the shed and it was me that called the cops and I would be keeping an eye on them from then on.

Keeping an eye on them?
Your concern was admirable but why didnt you knock on the door first instead of calling the cops?
Now they might be in all sorts of trouble with child protection agencies

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SecretKnowledge

hmm ok.

so if you were me and knew a child was being abused and I do consider that is abuse (to keep a child in a shed); you wouldn't have had any emotion when the SOB came out lying through his back teeth?

At least I have the balls to let them know it was me who called the cops.

That is the cops job to check on and knock at People's doors. Not mine.

I did the right thing.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   

if i knew a child was being abused for sure, i would be banging the door down.
You reckon you have balls for telling them you rang the cops?
Thats not what i call balls...

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   

lol yes it is, in the area I live... bloody oath it is.

EVERYONE could hear that child in the shed (especially the ones right next door to them) did not do anything about it.

At least I did.

Most People are too scared to get involved.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   

ah, i see you've changed your headline
it was, "in trouble with the locals again"
Are you afraid of looking bad with your thread?
Like i said, it was admirable that you did something, but knocking on the door would've produced the same result without involving the police. Who were right in saying that sometimes a kid has to cry it out.
A shed you say? Or was it a car garage?

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Well if the child was well behaved it wouldnt get any punishment.

So its the childs fault really
edit on b0808749 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   

in the first post it posted before I had finished what I was writing... and that was the first sentence I wrote...and that was not my intended heading.

anyway, I am glad that People support your opinion (based on your stars). There is obviously many People that consider an 18 month old child being kept in a shed is quite an acceptable form of punishment.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Two major rules that you infringed upon.

1. Mind your own business. And as another poster said, why not just talk to the parents before calling the cops on them? Just a simple, "Hey, I hear a kid screaming back there, is everything alright?" You talk about you have "balls" but it sounds to me like if you really had balls you would have done so instead of getting the cops involved in something that very well could have been nothing for all you know.

2. You never make a cop feel like he is threatened in any way. Yelling at them makes them feel like the situation is out of their control. And cops don't like to not be in control. If you were in the US and pulled this crap, you would have probably gotten tazed, maced, beaten, jailed and spent a few years dealing with the US "justice" system.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior

People should mind their own business, your right.

so if I should hear anything, see anything that isn't right in the future...I will not do anything about it.

I won't do anything at all ever again. if I should hear or see anything that does't seem right... I will just turn a blind eye or maybe even turn up the volume on my TV or stereo so I don't have hear a child not crying, but screaming... I will ignore it.

what a great society we live in.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Please spare us the pity party.

So you hear one of your neighbors kids screaming at the top of their lungs in their back yard. You go outside to listen and say that the kid is screaming for a half an hour and you think that maybe the neighbor had fell and cracked open his head and was bleeding to death or something. So instead of just knocking on the door and asking, "Hey is everything OK? Can I help?" (like I think anyone who would have been truly concerned would have done) you go back to your house and call the cops on them. Then you come on ATS and start a thread trying to milk some sympathy from people who weren't there so you can feel like you were in the right all along citing your "concern" over the childs well being and nothing more when in reality it looks to me like you wanted some cop drama to watch with the neighbors.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Are you 100 % positive the child was in the shed? If not then no you did the wrong thing.

Are you 100% positive that the child was being harmed in some way? No? Then you did the wrong thing.

Are you 100% sure that you should be "keeping an eye" on them? Yes? Then you are doing the wrong thing.

Hate to say it, but the major issue here is that your actions, whether or not well intended could cause a major backlash with Child Protective Services and having them crawl up their asses over a tantrum. Do you know if the child has "issues" (I know that my kids have tantrums but they are Autistic and it's part of the game, unfortunately...) Do you know anything about them? If you can't answer those questions, threatening them (I'm keeping my eye on you) and calling the police could have set a very very nasty set of things in motion that YOU could be brought to task over (the parents can sue you if CPS drops a case, yes it's a thing) and sue you for EVERYTHING you own over this incident, so when people are saying it would have been a better idea to mind thy own business, in this case, unless you had 100% proof positive that there was an abused child, they are absolutely correct. You could lose everything you own over this one...

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I tend to think you may have done the right thing. It would have been terrible if you had not acted and saw horrible news about it in the paper a few days later. On the other hand, getting angry and blowing up at the neighbor over differing parenting styles after the cops concluded all was well, was probably not a good idea.

We all raise our children differently. Some folks use punishment techniques that other folks wouldn't dream of using. That doesn't mean that those techniques are abusive, it just means we choose not to use them ourselves because they don't work, we don't like them, or we want to try a different way, etc.

My daughter was very headstrong at that age and I could very well see her screaming for that long over a tantrum had she been allowed to do so. As an infant she could scream that long easily where most babies would go for a few minutes then fall asleep. Colic left her screaming for hours on end... for months on end.

Some parents don't spank their children and send them to their rooms to deal with their anger, scream, yell, etc. In this instance it seems like the child was left in the shed instead. Not knowing if the shed was dangerous, or how far it was from the house we can't really judge accurately (here) if the parents were totally out of line. Obviously the police didn't feel like they were after they arrived.

I understand you were angry about what they were doing. Some people have a really hard time hearing a child cry/scream regardless of the reason. But if there was no abuse going on you really can't justify getting that angry over someone else's parenting techniques.

I do hope you will not ignore further situations where a child might be in danger just because of this incident though. You could very well have saved a life by doing what you did. We never know and it is usually better to be safe than sorry. If it were my child and you genuinely thought they might be in danger, I would have thanked you had you not gotten so angry.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Wow, I cannot believe most of the responses on here.

While I probably wouldn't have called the police, you obviously cared what was going on with the child and went to investigate. I would have done that too. And if it is a "not so nice" neighborhood", maybe calling them was a good idea.

Guess nobody cared to read what you were thinking, your reasoning.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Dude you are missing the point. Why call the cops, it takes 0 balls to do it.A real man would knock on the door to see if there was a problem or to voice your concern.

It is a wonderful thing that you were there and felt the need to help.

You should have knocked on the door for if something was wrong you shouldnt have waited 15 mins for the cops.

You cant brag about having balls when all you do is dial 911.. I am guessing that you are not a parent are you?

A real man would do more the that to help a child. I have been hospitalized twice because I have protected children. The first time was because I saw my ex's ex slap my daughter (revieved a broken jaw) and the next te was because a child was locked in a car in the middle of summer so I smashed a window to get her out (recieved 27 stiches in my arm)

That is balls, That is how some one should act if a child is in danger.

You get no Ego points here man. You should of taken action instead of being a tuff guy when the cops show up.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   

so if I should hear anything, see anything that isn't right in the future...I will not do anything about it.

Wrong. You are overreacting to the fact that you were wrong in the way that you handled things. If you have evidence that the child is endangered, then you have a responsibility to the child and your conscience to alert authorities.

In this case, how was the child being harmed?

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
An 18 month old child alone in a shed is pretty stupid. What kind of thing they could crawl/get into, and the fact that these first months/years in your life are the most influential to what kind of person you will become.... That kid is going to have some serious issues later on in life.
edit on 19-3-2014 by SalientSkivvy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

snypwsd

...and the next te was because a child was locked in a car in the middle of summer so I smashed a window to get her out (recieved 27 stiches in my arm)

Why did you get stitches? All cars have had safety glass (which won't cut you like that) since the 1930's or so.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join