It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Is How The One Percenters Party...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I was perusing the interweb last night and came across this lovely article from Vice. The writer, Bobby Viteri, recently attended the 110th Explorers Club Annual Dinner.

The Explorers Club website states they promote the advancement of field research and to preserve the instinct to explore. Their annual dinner celebrates accomplishment in exploration. Here's a link to their site for more information about the goings on with the EC.

Why is a 1% schmooze fest worthy of a thread? It's not the accomplishments of those in attendance, but their very strange appetites for the exotic. When I say exotic, I mean Vodka Martini's with a goat eye ball, rather than an olive garnish exotic. And that was just one of the drinks available.

This Is How The One Percenters Party

I was truly horrified, and disgusted, by what these people were not only eating, but the way the "dishes" were displayed. I found their "poses" next to said dishes even more disturbing. I also found the abundance of goat dishes rather strange...and sick.

I am a nurse, so I am naturally an empathetic and caring person. Idk if these traits made me especially sensitive to what these people were eating and, more importantly, how they were acting, or if other individuals would feel the same way.

I have been working on becoming a vegetarian (for health reasons and the fact that I am freaked out by what they do to animal meats before they ever reach a table) but I understand the food chain, etc. This isn't about that. It's about the disturbing way things were presented, the photos of these "people" with the dishes, and the curiosity of what they're going to eat when they run out of exotic animals...

If you're sensitive to things like this, a vegetarian/vegan, or just grossed out by "exotic" foods, this might not be the thread for you!
edit on 19-3-2014 by lovebeck because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-3-2014 by lovebeck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   
spiders, snakes, roach it is just exotic in the western world.

I bet you eat worse in fast food places

edit on 19-3-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

Careful to stay off the menu your self Indigent
we would miss you

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Danbones
reply to post by Indigent

Careful to stay off the menu your self Indigent
we would miss you

In some places i wouldn't be exotic for the 99% either

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Goat is quite delicious. I don't know about eating goat wang, but I have had goat leg and roast. It's a lot like lamb.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

What ? No Monkey Brains ? ....Lousy Party .

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by lovebeck

the menu is disgusting.

ew!

a goats eye instead of an olive?

just as bad as a doco I watched years ago, People were eating a Monkey's Brain while it was still alive!!

puk!

insane stuff, when I read another article where the elite were eating human body parts... I didn't believe it... but I do believe it now...

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   
It's an exotic travel club and so they are having foods that are eaten in 'out of the way' travel locations. So what? The only issue I had was that they posed two cooked guinea pigs in a mating position. I thought that was disrespectful to the critters who died.

edit on 3/19/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

FlyersFan
It's an exotic travel club and so they are having foods that are eaten in 'out of the way' travel locations. So what? The only issue I had was that they posed two cooked guinea pigs in a mating position. I thought that was disrespectful to the critters who died.

edit on 3/19/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

Like I stated in the OP, it's not so much about what they're eating, it's the way the dishes are displayed and the way the majority were posing with said dishes...

Btw, it's not an "exotic travel club." Here's a tidbit from their website.

The Explorers Club differentiates exploration for field science from exploratory travel for tourism. While both activities are valuable, our members and those qualified for membership are persons who carry out or assist in field science expeditions to study unknown or little known destinations or phenomena in order to gain knowledge for humankind.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by lovebeck

I consider that to be a travel club visiting exotic places.
I guess one persons version of 'exotic' isn't someone elses.
These days ... with me being stuck at home with chronic illness ... just about everything sounds exotic to me.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Josh Gates is a member of the The Explorers Club and I'm fairly sure he's not a 1%'er and I've watched Andrew Zimmern eat worse.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Indigent
spiders, snakes, roach it is just exotic in the western world.

I bet you eat worse in fast food places

edit on 19-3-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

Yep. A lot of the stuff on the menu that we'd find exotic is pretty much commonplace in other parts of the world and stuff you can find in food markets. Here's a pic of the fare at a Chinese food market: www.mailintalks.com...

Considering that it's the Explorers Club, it doesn't surprise me that the fare would be of the most bizarre nature. It'd be like a culinary pee contest to see who can eat the most non-Western foods without batting an eye. Think about Josh Gates on Destination Truth and some of the things he's sample on that show. Or An Idiot Abroad and some of the things that guy wouldn't sample for that matter, lol.

I lived on the Navajo rez for years and some of the culinary delicacies of that tribe are things that just made me crinkle my nose and wince. Sheep's head (eyes are supposed to be the best part. YECH) or ach'ii, which is basically wrapped and fried sheep intestine. Charming stuff. Red ants were also known to be sweet like candy. All stuff that a lot of us would crinkle our noses at. Leave the states entirely and you're going to run into even more exotic fare that is absolutely normal for that culture. The eating of it by these people is simply a testament of their travels. Like I said, culinary peeing contest.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Those pictures are disgusting.. the animals look like they got trapped in burning barn and put on table after...

Wonder if they were cooked alive.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Goat eyeball, psshht. What is this, amateur night? Color me unimpressed. Give me a call when you're sitting down to a plate piled high with five pounds of fresh human feces and ground baby hands, also known as the number 3 at Taco Bell.

new topics

top topics

join