It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: WWII Codebreakers close to finding Holy Grail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 02:44 AM
link   
A team of WWII codebreakers, famed for their cracking of the Enigma code, are close to cracking a centuries old riddle that could lead to the final resting place of the Holy Grail.

www.sky.com
A team of Second World War codebreakers is about to reveal the solution to a cryptic 18th century riddle which is rumoured to reveal the location of the Holy Grail.

Oliver Lawn and his wife Sheila, the leaders of the team, are now in their 80s but were posted at the codebreaking centre at Bletchley Park during the Second World War.

The couple, who worked on cracking the Enigma code, have spent the last seven months deciphering the significance of a sequence of letters on the Shepherd's Monument in the Shugborough Estate in Staffordshire.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It seems that this could well be a serious claim, and the results have the potential to confirm or rubbish the whole Grail concept. I'll be keeping a keen eye on this one.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

Related ATS Discussions:
The Holy Grail
Holy Grail, Holy Grail
What do you think the Holy Grail really is?
Location of the Holy Grail

[edit on 11-25-2004 by William One Sac]

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
This is not what the linked article reports, it merely states that an inscription "D.O.U.O.S.V.A.V.V.M." is from, of all things, the 'Priory Of Scion" and means "Jesus (As Deity) Defy".

Where does it say that they were close to getting the grail?

"A mysterious inscription on a stately home monument is likely to be a message from an 18th century Christian sect - not the location of the Holy Grail."

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Personally I don't quite see why the Holy Grail is so important. Could somebody explain the importance. I know Jesus drank from it at the last supper and it caught some of his blood during the crucifixtion. Wouldn't something like the Covenant be more important.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Well if the myths were correct about the Grail it was said to have the power to heal all wounds. That could be pretty important to some people. Even if it had no healing powers it could be very important from a religous point of view.

The Ark of the Covenant was reported to kill anyone who touched it. So I do think the Ark is healing anyone.

[edit on 25-11-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
The problem is who would get possesion of the Holy Grail if it were found? I know a lot of Protestants would be pretty pissed if the Catholics got it and vice versa. Plus security around the grail would have to be unbelievably tight to prevent it from being stolen.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I have to admit the Grail story is a lovely myth, an intriguing legend. That is all it is, and all it ever will be.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Come on people. We all know that Indiana Jones thrwarted the efforts to obtain the Holy Grail by Hitlers Third Reich. End of story.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
The problem is who would get possesion of the Holy Grail if it were found?

Whoever found it would own it.No church in particular would have any legal claim to it.'

Simulacra

Bwa. Excellent.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Well, if it has survived, how would we ever know if it was 'the grail'. I don't expect miracles to befall anyone who drank from it. It's just a cup.

top topics

join