It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First sign that UK won't ever join Euro?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Do any of you remember when the pound coin was introduced?
It struck me as funny that it was the same size and colour as a 10 Franc one.
Same thing with the 2 pound/20 Franc. coins. Then gradually our other coins were changed to be more similar to the continental ones.

I figured it was thus to ease the transition to the euro at some point.
After all, if you are already used to handling almost identical coins of a similar value, then it's not much of a leap to simply change the name, is it?

Then today, this. linky

Sorry I can't embed the pic, I'm on my phone. For those who don't want to follow the link, it shows the new design for a pound coin. It has 12 sides! I've looked online and there's nothing in the eurozone to match it.
Now, tjis is a small thing in itself, but if you hold the view that our mint was aligning it's designs with the euro zone, well this marks a rather definitive departure from that policy, don't you think?

edit on 42pWed, 19 Mar 2014 02:21:42 -050020142014-03-19T02:21:42-05:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

edit on 32pWed, 19 Mar 2014 02:22:32 -050020142014-03-19T02:22:32-05:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

Here you go Sprocket.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   

MissBeck

Here you go Sprocket.

Hey, thanks MissBeck!

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   

You're welcome. Funny how it's now going to have the silver circle in the middle, like a Euro coin though.

30 years old! Blimey. I remember when they first bought them out. I'm old.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Reminds me of the old three pence. Looks like they're going back to old basics on coins.

edit on 367am0101am22014 by Bassago because: can't spell tonight

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   
SprocketUK :

...it shows the new design for a pound coin.

For those of us whom were around pre-decimilisation (1971), will recognise the shape of the the new pound coin design as a throwback to the 'thruppenny bit' or threepenny coin.

Two of them made a six pence, two six pences made a shilling, 20 shillings made a pound.

en.wikipedia.org...

The first sign of the British never joining the Euro is that stretch of water between Dover and Calais, which helped to shape British insularism. We are not about to give up sterling just yet, the political and economic viability of doing so is not yet favourable to us, but when it becomes so, there won't be a referendum, it will happen despite what the British people think.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   

MissBeck

You're welcome. Funny how it's now going to have the silver circle in the middle, like a Euro coin though.

30 years old! Blimey. I remember when they first bought them out. I'm old.

I miss that feeling of being rich that a wallet full of pound notes could give

I think we'll see more bimetallic coins. The 2 quid was a success wasn't it?
edit on 45pWed, 19 Mar 2014 02:58:45 -050020142014-03-19T02:58:45-05:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   

elysiumfire
SprocketUK :

...it shows the new design for a pound coin.

For those of us whom were around pre-decimilisation (1971), will recognise the shape of the the new pound coin design as a throwback to the 'thruppenny bit' or threepenny coin.

Two of them made a six pence, two six pences made a shilling, 20 shillings made a pound.

en.wikipedia.org...

The first sign of the British never joining the Euro is that stretch of water between Dover and Calais, which helped to shape British insularism. We are not about to give up sterling just yet, the political and economic viability of doing so is not yet favourable to us, but when it becomes so, there won't be a referendum, it will happen despite what the British people think.

My point was that this is the first departure from the increasing convergence over the years.
I agree with you about referenda though. They all shie away when it comes to the crunch. Though as small a change as this is, it gives me a crumb of hope.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Lucky you! I've never had the feeling of being rich!!

I remember being in possession of a £5 coin once. It just didn't feel right. Couldn't wait to get rid of it.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MissBeck

Haha. I did say feeling rich, not being rich!
I feel like I'm being flashy when I put super unleaded in the Harley.

Never had a 5 pound coin. Or seen one in the flesh. I'd worry no one would take it as payment

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Bassago

Reminds me of the old three pence. Looks like they're going back to old basics on coins.

edit on 367am0101am22014 by Bassago because: can't spell tonight

Known as a 'thruppenny bit' by the natives. (bronze coated iron)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   

I wonder if they have to change all machines that accept the current pound coin shape, to new machines? Surely that would be an enormous expense? Or are these things adaptable to recognize new shapes/sizes?

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   

MissBeck

I wonder if they have to change all machines that accept the current pound coin shape, to new machines? Surely that would be an enormous expense? Or are these things adaptable to recognize new shapes/sizes?

I think they probably just update the software ofr put a new module inside. Shouldn't be too hard. Will cost a bit though.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:09 AM
link   

I'm not the most technical minded person. Had visions of all the gamblers trying to load the fruit machines with the new coin, and it not accepting them.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   

I remember when the first pound coins came out, I was 7 or 8 years old if memory serves!

I don't want the U.K to be part of any European currency. Stands to reason given the current financial climate!

Truth be told i don't think Britain's ever really be up for being involved with the Euro.

edit on 19-3-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   
This has nothing to do with the Euro zone.

This is a redesign to counter the horrendously easy to counterfeit pound coin.

Nationally 2.86% of all pound coins in circulation are counterfeit, in some regions that figure is as high as 6%. Each year the banks take out of circulation £2 million worth....

It won't be an easy task to counterfeit a 12 sided two colour coin....

I like and support the redesign!

Peace,

Korg.

edit on 19-3-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   

MissBeck

I'm not the most technical minded person. Had visions of all the gamblers trying to load the fruit machines with the new coin, and it not accepting them.

Haha that wouldn't be pretty! Though these days most of them take notes (Some are a quid a go)! Can't imagine how much it would cost you to play one of those for half an hour.

andy06shake

I remember when the first pound coins came out, I was 7 or 8 years old if memory serves!

I don't want the U.K to be part of any European currency. Stands to reason given the current financial climate!

Truth be told i don't think Britain's ever really be up for being involved with the Euro.

edit on 19-3-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

The people certainly, but those in charge are always wanting a seat on the gravy train.

Korg Trinity
This has nothing to do with the Euro zone.

This is a redesign to counter the horrendously easy to counterfeit pound coin.

Nationally 2.86% of all pound coins in circulation are counterfeit, in some regions that figure is as high as 6%. Each year the banks take out of circulation £2 million worth....

It won't be an easy task to counterfeit a 12 sided two colour coin....

I like and support the redesign!

Peace,

Korg.

edit on 19-3-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

So they say, but why then did our coins change to designs so like european ones? It was no accident.

It is relatively easy to pass off a fake pound coin to a person, though machines usually detect them. I guess the big thing is the fact that it'll be bi metallic, though I would stake money that there are people buying presses from machine mart as we speak

edit on 50pWed, 19 Mar 2014 06:10:50 -050020142014-03-19T06:10:50-05:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: addendum

edit on 43pWed, 19 Mar 2014 06:13:43 -050020142014-03-19T06:13:43-05:00kAmerica/Chicago31uk by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   

secure
are they going to be able to track these coins while they are in your pocket?
are they going to be able to then track your pocket
are they then going to be able to track you?
well by you, i mean us
er...

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   
It reminds me of this

Australian 50 cent coin.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
We are getting a new £1 coin so that alone tells you that we are not joining the dying Euro

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join