It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police ignore another person with his 2nd Amendment right

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I'm not sure if this was posted yet but I just happened to come by this video and wanted to share it with you all.

This young man was on his own property with his rifle (which he his allowed to do) holding up a flag and promoting his 2nd amendment right when roughly 5 cops show up. The first Officer (Sergeant Stoner) shows up and tells him to put the weapon down. On camera he says that "I don't want to shoot you" while the young man is trying to explain to him that he has the right to do what he is doing and the Sergeant clearly stated that he was not committing a crime. Although he said the young man was not committing a crime he still took his weapon (and his flag!) and said the man was pointing the gun at him, which the video proves that he was not.

Although I do understand why people called and I would feel less safe if they didn't show up, I still think they should have handled it differently and once they found out that he was, in fact, allowed to be doing what he was doing (He was clearly protesting) they should have not taken his property.

In my opinion, the other officers wanted to cooperate but I believe the Sergeant was loosing a bit of his pride and, after calling a few people from his Vehicle, realized that the man was indeed correct and he couldn't do a thing.

What is your opinion on this and do you think it could have been handled differently?

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I could watch these videos all day...great find.

I know there are some that say he was provoking the officers, but the fact is a right unused is a right lost. We need people like this to help educate LEOs and the public.

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Metallicus

I could watch these videos all day

Get a job.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Polymath

Seemed like he was being an a$$hat to me. Sure he has the right but a little discretion is called for when being publicly armed.

Guns don't scare me, a$$hats with guns do.

ETA - following Phage's sage advise. Domn spellchuck
edit on 350am2424am22014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Discretion

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Phage

I could watch these videos all day

Get a job.

I expected better than a one line personal attack from you, Phage.

I think you guys are missing the point of why exercising our rights is important, but then maybe we think differently and you think our rights will be there when you need them. The empirical evidence seems to indicate differently in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   

People seem to expect a lot of me. I don't give a damn, but it was a joke.

The empirical evidence seems to indicate differently in my opinion.
Selected vid bites are not empirical evidence. And that's a fact, not my opinion.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Whilst I do love me some 2nd amendment.... This guy is lucky that the coroner didn't have to come and scrape brain matter off of the grass in front of his house. I am surprised the cop didn't shoot him after asking him to put the gun down and him refusing to do so. It happens these days, I almost expected it here.

I am not sure if this guy was stupid, brave, or insane for taking the risk at all. I do applaud his passion and willingness to stand up for what he believes in and bringing attention to the matter though.
He may have been able to do it in a better way, sometimes egging a cop on to get a certain reaction ends up a bad deal for both parties.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Bassago
reply to post by Polymath

Seemed like he was being an a$$hat to me. Sure he has the right but a little discretion is called for when being publicly armed.

Guns don't scare me, a$$hats with guns do.

ETA - following Phage's sage advise. Domn spellchuck
edit on 350am2424am22014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

I'm pretty sure this was the response he wanted (the police coming) and he could think about what he would say all day but, most likely, when they showed up his heart probably started pumping and he could have forgotten most of it.

I can see why the officer would draw a gun on him but as soon as they figured out what he was doing they probably should have left. I don't think it was right of them to take his gun, I would have understood if they just took the mag and the one in the chamber while they talked to him.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   

At least you got a line, I got 1 word.

I understand where you're coming from on the rights issue. Just wished the guy would have presented things in a more stable light.
edit on 358am4646am22014 by Bassago because: the keyboard is eating my brain

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Phage

People seem to expect a lot of me. I don't give a damn, but it was a joke.

The empirical evidence seems to indicate differently in my opinion.
Selected vid bites are not empirical evidence. And that's a fact, not my opinion.

Well, the problem with text is you can't always tell what is really meant by what is being read.

Also, YES, we do expect a lot of you!

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   
yet again no respect for anyone but himself .

still some people wonder why there is a a gun debate going on down there . Legal or not who in their right mind is gonna feel safe with their kids outside with some moron on his lawn with a rifle.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   

freedomSlave

still some people wonder why there is a a gun debate going on down there . Legal or not who in their right mind is gonna feel safe with their kids outside with some moron on his lawn with a rifle.

I see you are from Canada. In the US what he did is 100% legal and the cops were in the wrong. Just because it annoys or scares you doesn't mean someone else doesn't have the right to do what they are doing. I am against abortion, but I still support abortion rights. I am against the gay lifestyle, but I still support gay rights. I can't stand cigarette smoke, but I will support the rights of smokers.

My point is that just because YOU don't agree with something doesn't give you the right to hamper other people's constitutional rights or their freedom to exercise them just because it makes you uncomfortable.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   
This reminds me of this guy that pulled a gun in front of a bank and was arrested althrough he had the right to do it. The truth is only if 0.0001 % of the people had guns , no one would be afraid.

If there is a guy with a sword on the street will he get arested ? no, because people are afraid of guns.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   

so you have the right to have a gun. Call me when the next day the guy kills his neighbors and no one did a thing because he has "rights"

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   

freedomSlave

Morons on their lawn with a rifle aren't the ones shooting up places.

Yet we as a society have become so politically correct and intelligently inept that we can't tell the difference.

Fear ignorance not expression.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by TiedDestructor

How do you know ? A gun owner shoots his co-workers after his wife died and he got fired. A kid shoots his fellow classmates with his dad's gun for being bullied. Guy robs a bank with his own weapon because he will get thrown out of his home.

Those are real people. Those are the guys shooting. Those are the exact same people that are fooling around and acting like morons. Only thing that changes is life. Their life.
edit on 19-3-2014 by ZeroFurrbone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   

ZeroFurrbone

so you have the right to have a gun. Call me when the next day the guy kills his neighbors and no one did a thing because he has "rights"

I stated that, while I believe he was in the right, I'm still glad the Police came. They just should have handled it in a different way. They should have realized what was going on..I'm sure they saw the flag. It doesn't take much common sense to realize that he was protesting, as is his right.

I do understand what you are saying though.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   
More shooting deaths in states with more gun owners

You would think this would be common sense. More guns equals more gun related deaths..duh.

Gun right advocates are not the brightest people on the planet, this story just proves that point. This story just shows that some people are attention whores.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Onslaught2996
More shooting deaths in states with more gun owners

You would think this would be common sense. More guns equals more gun related deaths..duh.

Gun right advocates are not the brightest people on the planet, this story just proves that point. This story just shows that some people are attention whores.
Go and tell that to the Germans around 1940 .

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join