It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I lost my love for video games.... What is wrong with me?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Maybe this will make sense if I give a small brief history but I seriously have trouble even staying engaged in video games anymore.

I started playing Video games when Robo Cop came out on the Super Nintendo. I don't even remember how old I was when I first saw Pac Man in someone's house instead of the arcade. But Since then I have played several thousands of games. The Sim's, Sim City, Roller Coaster Tycoon. Back then all of these games took up all of my time. Then Command and Conquer and Starcraft. Diablo II. Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4, Final Fantasy 10. Need for Speed Hot pursuit. I gradually made my way to Battlefield 2 Modern Combat and Area 51. I went from SNES to N64, Gameboy, PC, PS2, PSP, PS3, PSV. I have become the best player of a clan. I ran a new clan. I battled other clans. I became a fish.... After Metal Gear Solid 4 I mean slap me!

I don't know what is wrong with me but all of a sudden I find myself enjoying simple games now. I have the PS + subscription but I feel like letting it drop. I have played so many different games that I feel like..... What is the point? Shooters... crap... I own all of the counter strikes. I played all the calls, and all of the BF's. I loved The Last of Us. I hated Grand Theft Auto V Online. Final Fantasy XIV was fun for about 2 weeks. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 just enrages me because of infinite combos. I don't even want to play Bioshock Infinite after downloading it for free. I play through games for about an hour now and I just stop caring about the story... the new guns... the whole thing all together.

I even scrutinized Hitman Absolution for not being fun anymore.

I Don't know what is wrong with me. I just don't have the ability to even hit the frikkn start button anymore.

The first thing that comes to mind is how much time this is going to take over my life and how boring the game could get within a moments notice. Mundane tasks. Dumb missions that have no replay value. Hearing one liners all over again.

Something is wrong with me. I started selling off all of my games. I gave them to my friends. My library is all digital now and I feel like deleting them all.

I don't really have a life outside of gaming. I just go to work, drive home.... Grab a beer and just fall asleep.

I don't even post on facebook or myspace anymore. (Yeah myspace is almost exactly like facebook now.)

All I do is just.... stare at my computer on this forum now and do absolutely nothing.

Every time I feel even remotely like I want to play a game I just... stare at the controller or my mouse...

Anyone else having this sort of problem?

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Sounds like you're just getting old.

That's what old men do.

Baldie.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
MATURITY my friend happend to me aswell

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaosEpsilon

I'm only 26...

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Lol, I made this similar topic on ATS awhile ago. We're pretty much on the same boat, but in my case I became preoccupied with girls and real life goals. I'm 23 now: although I felt this downward spiral since 21. Every game that game out felt boring and there was nothing that rekindled my love for gaming and I didn't know what it was...and still searching.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by GiulXainx

We all get there eventually

That's what I'd like to say, but in reality, MOST people get to that point. Then they realize that they're leading an uneventful life, wasting their days with alcohol, sleep, and monotonous everyday work lives... and then they turn 40 or 50 and BAM, midlife crisis.
edit on 3/18/2014 by ChaosEpsilon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Maybe you need a significant other or a pet?

It's not the worse thing in the world to let go of the fruitless endeavours of our youth...

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   

I grew out of them at about 21 or so. It just means you are growing up, and no longer need the games to entertain you anymore. Congratulations.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Its because all games are the same these days...

Kill this, shoot that... nothing original...

Minecraft seemed to fix the problem for me

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I own minecraft on my PS3... PC... Phone...... Nothing works.

In fact the only fun I seem to have is fighting someone else. Verbal or physical... I don't just go for the easy targets or start the fight by going up to someone and just punching them no... I like it to be interesting. I like the thrill of almost losing everything. I just don't feel like myself anymore and like fighting a lot. I fought with a homeless person about where he sleeps.

# my life is boring. I argued with a bank over a loan and then declined the offer after trying to negotiate with them until they finally broke.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Maybe you're just growing up? I lost my "love" for video games long ago. Now I do more productive and educational things.

Did you ever think that if you spend all those (probably thousands and thousands) of hours playing guitar, or piano, or painting, or whatever else you might like, instead of playing video games.. You might be world renowned for the talent you would have developed. If you had spent those hours in college studying a field you love you might be very successful in that field today..

In my opinion, and this is coming from a person who played video games from early childhood into early adulthood, video games are one of the most unrewarding wastes of time out there.

I say stop looking for something to rekindle your love affair with video games. Instead look for something more valuable to fall in love with. Maybe even.. a girl. =P

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Your growing up.... Me too

Except GTA5 here and there. My PS3 is mostly my DVD player. If and when I have spare time.

I own madden and GTA5, that's it and in the last year I've put maybe 20 hours into both games.

On my phone I have that Simpsons tapped out, love how life ruinly it is, lol

edit on 18-3-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Its because all games are the same these days… [

There it is. And thats true of all generations that have played "video games". We invented the video game arcade. I mean the same people that invented slot machines in Nevada. They were asked to create a game that would attract people to put money in them over and over. The come is dazzling effects, flashing lights and unconquerable higher and higher levels. It worked and has been working to this day.

We didn't grow up, we got bored.

Good for you OP. You just conquered another of the Paradigms ball and chain distractions.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

I have already composed several music tracks and paid artists for CD covers:

guilmonx.newgrounds.com...
soundcloud.com...

I can't even produce music anymore without going through my backlog of unfinished products and thinking... why go any further?

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I feel you. I think consoles just stagnated the whole industry, churning out the same old garbage in 8-10 year cycles. What used to blow me away was progress. I started with a monochrome green screen, when I made the leap to CGA it was incredible. Then EGA, then we saw photo's practically like real on VGA screens! The amazement of 3d games like wolfenstein or doom. Each year I was eager to see the progress and what new could be done with computers... Then those quality jumps stagnated, ever so slight improvements, an extra bloom here or dust particles there. I feel like I hit a wall. And with the loss of elation at the progress, I began to ponder what else I could be doing. If I've seen it all before, I'm just wasting time, I could be production doing literally anything else.

If only the PC master race could have got it's act together. Stupid competitors fighting over what standards to use causeing some games to run and others not. Bloated software and Operating systems. Mega game companies who see $ in console games so just hand left overs to the PC master race... *throws pc MR badge in bin in disgust*

There was a time I felt like a modern day Columbus learning and discovering new worlds, now I just feel like I'm watching the MSN.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Kind of - I think one of the most important things to keep you interested in gaming is finding a group of friends who is also interested in gaming. I do struggle with this. Although I did manage to fully explore Grand Theft Auto V for a month or two - but I had to warm up by playing Avatar Farm for a month before that.

I love competitive gaming where there is that edge to get things perfect. I get a lot more motivated if I can get a competitive friend or set of friends to play with.

Otherwise, I have also been playing simple games - Mega Man, Chrono Trigger, Avatar Farm again - I also busted out my PS2 and I have been really into Xbox Arcade - Terraria and Minecraft.

Luckily, I am really involved in the local and regional Magic: The Gathering scene, so at the very least, I am getting out of the house and gaming once or twice a week that way.

Does that make sense?

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   

GiulXainx
reply to post by Akragon

I own minecraft on my PS3... PC... Phone...... Nothing works.

In fact the only fun I seem to have is fighting someone else. Verbal or physical... I don't just go for the easy targets or start the fight by going up to someone and just punching them no... I like it to be interesting. I like the thrill of almost losing everything. I just don't feel like myself anymore and like fighting a lot. I fought with a homeless person about where he sleeps.

# my life is boring. I argued with a bank over a loan and then declined the offer after trying to negotiate with them until they finally broke.

You only have fun hurting others?

geez man...

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I have had three different girlfriends.... I even swung the other way for two relationships. I double dated... I "traded" places... Nothing works. I have seen the night life of both sides. I have gambled... I have seen the world when I was young. Disney world, land.... six flags... the Son of the Beast when it still had the loop in it.... Toronto. China. Paris.... Hawaii... Brazil. Austrailia... I kept the currency from each place I visited as a sort of timestamp that "I was there."

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   

GiulXainx
reply to post by TinkerHaus

I have already composed several music tracks and paid artists for CD covers:

guilmonx.newgrounds.com...
soundcloud.com...

I can't even produce music anymore without going through my backlog of unfinished products and thinking... why go any further?

Not to diminish your work, but any trained monkey can upload their fruity loops tracks to the internet.

I'm not talking about getting your feet a little wet with something, I'm talking about mastery. If you had spent all those thousands of hours working on something meaningful you would have mastered it years ago.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Think of it this way. They have to deserve the fight. Like I said I don't just walk outside and start arguing with my neighbor. I like to interrogate. I like to question. I like to push thinking. I like to be proven wrong. I like it when people try to prove me wrong. I don't know what the # is wrong with me.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join