It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceland's Hekla Volcanoe could blow soon claims scientist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
www.nbcnews.com...

Hekla Volcanoe is a pretty active volcanoe in Iceland, having its last major erupting in 2000 and subsequent close call eruptions in 2006, 2011, and 2013. The article is very short and doesn't go into many details, I just wanted to give a heads up. What say you, ATS?

"The most prominent sign of an impending eruption is bulging ground on the northern side of the volcano. This surface swelling indicates magma (molten rock) is rising under the volcano, pushing up the ground as it fills fractures and pipes beneath Hekla. According to GPS monitoring of the expanding surface, there is now more magma underneath Hekla than before the volcano's last eruption in 2000, University of Iceland geophysicist Páll Einarsson said in a report published in the Icelandic newspaper Morgunblaðið yesterday (March 17). Hekla volcano could erupt soon, Einarsson said."

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

The last time I heard the words "bulging" in relation to a volcano was when a friend and I were fishing Silver Lake (right downstream of Spirit Lake) below Mt St Helens. Had smoke pouring out the top while we were Bass fishing. Needless to say luckily we left the day before it blew and really messed the place up.

Heads up Iceland. Lava domes are bad IMO.
edit on 143pm5959pm92014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I really hope that everyone is ok and that it does not turn out really bad. I'm kind of tired of human life being lost, especially since if our energies could be put to better uses we could be ahead of issues like these. World wide.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Hopefully it will just spew some ash. I think this is one of the volcanoes that contributed to the sulphate increase in the lower atmosphere which helped keep global SAT from rising, if I'm remembering correctly. If it could keep doing that, that would be great.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
For the past couple of years there has been warm air trapped over Greenland because of the 'out-of-whack' jet stream bringing warmer air up from further south in the Atlantic. As a result, land ice from Greenland is melting at an alarming rate, right into the North Atlantic. Not only is this messing with the Gulf Stream but the ice is adding extra weight to the thin continental shelf and earth's crust. As the ice leaves Greenland it relieves weight. All these changes in that region are sure to have a major effect on the pressure below that volcano which will give that magma no choice but to go up!

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
The police in Iceland are taking the report seriously. They have put up warning signs around the volcano warning of a possible, sudden eruption.

icelandreview.com...

www.ibtimes.com...

new topics

top topics

join