It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA report confirms N. Korea threatened to test nuclear arms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 01:52 AM
link   
A friend pointed this one out to me, I wonder if they are bluffing? Makes that explosion over there a few weeks ago bring new meaning doesnt it?

WASHINGTON, Nov. 24, Kyodo - North Korea has repeatedly threatened the United States that it will test its nuclear weapons, and has allegedly tried to obtain materials for its uranium enrichment program, the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency said Tuesday in a report to Congress.
The CIA report, confirming earlier news reports and comments by related officials, also says Pyongyang may be ready to test-fire a long-range ballistic missile ''potentially capable of reaching parts of the United States with a nuclear-weapon-sized payload.''

The unclassified portion of the semiannual report to Congress on the acquisition of technology related to weapons of mass destruction from July 1 through Dec. 31 last year identifies a full range of countries and groups of proliferation concerns, including China, Iran and the al-Qaida network.

''In late April 2003 during trilateral talks in Beijing, North Korea privately threatened to 'transfer' or 'demonstrate' its nuclear weapons,'' the report said. ''It repeated these threats in August 2003 at the six-party talks.''

N. Korea threatened to test nuclear arms

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 03:00 AM
link   
This is an excellent point you've raised, Edsinger.

As NK has already demonstrated that it will posess and test Nuclear weapons it seems strange that America is turning a blind eye to the situation and instead focussing on Iran, who as yet don't even posess the means to build bombs.

Wouldn't it be more logical to focus on the present and immediate danger of NK rather than a perceived future one of Iran?

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 03:21 AM
link   
It is my belief that the Us has left north korea alone, beacause US intelligence knows that north korea have already developed 2-5 nuclear devices. If im correct, then US has realised that although north korea already have these weapons, they are not going to use them unless forced into doing so. Iran however are much more unpredictable and would probably start using their nukes agains the american forces already deployed in the middle east. It is not to late to stop Iran, but Us have already failed to stop north korea.....I may be way off the mark here, but from all the news reports, intelligence leaked documents and political noises being made in the past 18months, this would seem to be a plausible if not probable explanation.Im open to critisism if anyone knows any better?

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by radiant_obsidian
then US has realised that although north korea already have these weapons, they are not going to use them unless forced into doing so. Iran however are much more unpredictable and would probably start using their nukes agains the american forces already deployed in the middle east.

I think you nailed it! At least for the most part.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
not to mention israel (oops i mentioned it),

besides the north-koreans are guarded by the chinese, on the one hand Beijing will allow their dog to bark everynow and then, but they will not allow them to go after crazy adventoures....

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
And Isreal has attacked whom?

1982 Lebanon - The northern part of Lebanon was the launching points for many attacks Who can blame them? They could own the middle east IF they chose....

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I've got a feeling that the NKs are bluffing big-time. They're isolated and angry, but they may not have the capability. I seem to remember a news report stating that they were developing a space program. I don't think so! That's pretty much the basis of my theory.

They're pretty much like scared bully-types from what I can see. I wonder why? Maybe it's all the Kimchee they eat. I wouldn't have much of a sense of humour either if kimchee was a staple of my diet.

Cheers,

NSA

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Let's hope the CIA's intel gathering has improved in the last 2 or 3 years, hmmm?

new topics

top topics

join