It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian number station UVB-76 went active last night.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+63 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

So, Russia annexes Crimea and less than 48hrs later voices can be heard on the UVB-76 number station. Not sure what to make of this but I highly doubt it has anything to do with "ionospheric research".

UVB-76, also known as The Buzzer, is the nickname given by radio listeners to a shortwave radio station that broadcasts on the frequency 4625 kHz.[1] It broadcasts a short, monotonous About this sound buzz tone (help·info), repeating at a rate of approximately 25 tones per minute, for 24 hours per day. On very rare occasions, the buzzer signal is interrupted and a voice transmission in Russian takes place.[2] It has been active since at least the late 1970s or early 1980s, when the first reports were made of a station on this frequency.[1][3] Its origins have been traced to Russia, but although several theories with varying degrees of plausibility exist, its actual purpose remains unknown to the public.

Wiki

You can listen to the station live here WebSDR just move yellow arrow to 4625 and click usb for the bandwidth. I could definitely hear some backround noise earlier, no idea what the significance of a squeaky wheel is tho.

Thoughts?

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Seems like the activity is over for now. Apparently both 4625khz and 8992khz went totally dead for awhile and both broadcasted voice messages. If you skip over to 8992khz, which is supposed to be a kind of US version of UVB-76, you can still hear some intermittent activity.

The 8992khz vid below is old. The 4625khz vid above is from last night.

edit on 18-3-2014 by SuperSeeds because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-3-2014 by SuperSeeds because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Ohhhhh, my. Sounds super creepy.

I have an old friend that is from Russia. Sent her the link to see if there is a translation. I haven't spoken with her in a while, but fingers crossed. Although it may be gibberish code.

Great post!

I'll let you know if I hear back.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
This is actually a great find..I remember reading about this long ago and totally forgot about it....im curious if you dig anything else up on it...please keep it updated if you do!

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
That's terrifyingly interesting...hopefully someone can find out what this all means...

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
UZB76 has gone silent. I heard beeps for the last ten minutes now there is nothing.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
To me its changed pitch? not to sure what im hearing as this is my first time listening to anything of this sorts. besides the radio in my car.

Edit: Nevermind i pressed a button that changed something.

But now..i cant hear it either. maybe its their bug with FireFox html?

Check their Feb. 28 2014 update

Not to sure what to make of this, sure is weird/creepy and something i dont feel like listening to before bed lol. Thanks for posting OP, will check it again in the morning.
edit on 18-3-2014 by Anishnaabe because: (no reason given)

+24 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   

flucker
UZB76 has gone silent. I heard beeps for the last ten minutes now there is nothing.

I was an active ham radio operator during the time of the Soviet/US "Cold War." A few number stations operated within the bands allocated to ham radio.

This is not a good thing.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Just read the wiki on that station and am going to have nightmares. Oh, my and jeeze.

At 2225 UTC on September 1, 2010, the buzzer was interrupted by a 38-second fragment of "Dance of the Little Swans" from Tchaikovsky's ballet Swan Lake.[16] Four days later on September 5 at 1230 UTC, a female voice was heard counting from one to nine in Russian; just over an hour later, at 1339 UTC, the buzzing silenced for a quiet male voice to read a voice message.[16]

UVB-76 wiki

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Hams (Ham Radio Operators) have know about this for years. I'm convinced that it has always been a ruse. Just something to keep the alphabet soup boys on their toes!

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   

ae7wi
I'm convinced that it has always been a ruse.

We had a couple Navy Intelligence reservists in our local Ham Radio Club. It was pretty widely known that much of the "stuff" heard on number stations was meaningless to those who didn't know when to start and stop listening. The key was timing.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperSeeds

That would be not only be expected,

but :www.youtube.com...

as well.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   

SkepticOverlord

flucker

I was an active ham radio operator during the time of the Soviet/US "Cold War." A few number stations operated within the bands allocated to ham radio.

This is not a good thing.

I' m clueless as to what this all means.

Please let me know why this is not a good thing - I am all ears when the most respected member of ATS has something to say.

i see a lot of flags and suppose most members understand something about this that I do not - someone care to fill me in?

Thanks all.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I've listened to The Buzzer enough times to notice a propagation pattern: you can't hear it (or can barely hear it) on the Twente site at a certain point during the night in the US. It tends to come back around....I want to say around maybe 7-9 am eastern.

Try listening at different times of day, it'll be vary from strong to weak to non-existent.
edit on 3/19/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

Edit: I can hear it ok on the Twente site right now, faint, but discernible. And now I'm second guessing myself on that timeframe it's hard/impossible to hear in. Maybe I have the AM & PM mixed up? I'll listen tomorrow afternoon.
edit on 3/19/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Hey guys, I have an update from my Russian speaking friend, and according to her she says that their speaking numbers and names.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Love threads like this ;-) ty OP
Gives me old art bell coast to coast late night creepy feeling ;-)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Here's a cool site ,it seems these folks here have tried to triangulate on the position of the signals?

uvb-76.net...

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   
So, i watched a certain video. There was this sound . Same as this one. They turned it into data, calculated , turned it into a text that tirned into QR code, which leaded to a password for a file.

The truth this can be some kidnd of message. Did someone decoded it yet?

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Yeah, it totally faded out within the last half hour, so I think I have my return-during-US-daylight-hours off by a couple. 10am or thereabouts may be more likely for hearing it start to come back.

If anyone is listening here: websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901...
You can tune to 4724.00 and hear coded military messages ("Mainsail" to "Skyking") They were quite numerous earlier, although not anything going on at the moment.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperSeeds

You can see pictures of the original UVB76 site here:

englishrussia.com...-17313

5 pages of pictures

Duncan
(G8KNF)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join