It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House pastry chef resigns: ‘I don’t want to demonize cream, butter, sugar and eggs’

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

ketsuko

No actually I'm more confused as to why they kept him when they obviously didn't want his skills.

Are you really concerned and confused about this or is it something you will have soon forgotten?

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

beezzer
If you like your chef, you can keep your chef.

Seems to be a theme with this administration.

LOLZ

But I don't like this Administration. Or Congress.

Can I get rid of them?

Please don't tell me I can, but have to wait two years to do so.
edit on 18-3-2014 by TDawgRex because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

~Lucidity
If he can't accommodate the wishes of the people he works for and doesn't want to work there he doesn't have to work there.

Now even cake is polarized in this country. Oh...the drama.

And the irony: Let 'em eat tofu... genetically jazzed for all I care.
They're going to peel that 10" whisk out of my cold, dead claws.

Good grief, we're about to all fry ourselves in a Day After, and the WH chef quits..???

EDIT:: Sorry I forgot, ketsuko.. a flag and star because our ability to cook is indeed a survival skill. Sometimes abused but always handy in a disaster.
edit on 18-3-2014 by derfreebie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
It's ironic that artists (because chef's are artists) don't have freedom under this administration. I think the Obamas would make great communists. They suck the fun from everything and make life dreary.

As a former president once said, "I feel his pain".

edit on 2014/3/18 by Metallicus because: clarity

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

So, Michelle is anti-gay?

This is gonna go so big time, how ironic, huh?

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

greencmp
reply to post by ketsuko

She hates gay pastry chefs.

Haters gonna hate! LOLZ

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Really ?. This is what it's come down to ?. Dang people we get it, you don't like the obama clan. But to make a big deal out of something as mundane as a chef not wanting to prepare food as asked and thus leaves to find something better suited to his tastes is just wasted energy that would've been better spent trying to figure out ways to fix what you got 'til you can get what you want.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

maybe this isn't about the kind of sugar that goes into cakes
if Larry Sinclair was correct, maybe MO is upset about another kind of Suga...
you know...
whos in the kitchen with dyna?..makin shortnin bread

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Well, you tell me. If I got the chance to be first lady, you better believe the household would be the first thing I'd order to my liking.

So why keep a guy whose best skills are to make desserts you don't want to eat and order him to make desserts he doesn't want to make?

Are you that concerned with the optics of releasing him?

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Here ya go...

In the Times story, Yosses says he made the “bittersweet decision” to leave because he was inspired by Obama’s passion for healthy eating and wanted to “teach children and adults about eating better.”

In fact, Yosses praised the first lady as an “inspiring boss” with a “combination of spontaneity and seriousness.” [Source]

The original story: [New York Times]

The actual headline: White House’s Top Pastry Chef to Leave Post

What it turned into: 'I Don't Want To Demonize Cream, Butter, Sugar And Eggs'

See how blind all this makes people? See how they can't seem to read or search beyond what others tell them to see?
edit on 3/18/2014 by ~Lucidity because: link was broken

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

beezzer

greencmp
reply to post by ketsuko

She hates gay pastry chefs.

Haters gonna hate! LOLZ

How confusing this must be for some here though. The evil Bushes hired him ... I thought all Republicans are hateful bigoted McHater-pusses.

(Since this thread is determined to devolved into some kind of bashing thread when I thought it was just a weird curiousity and said so outright, I guess I'll lower myself to the general level of the convo.)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Clearly not a weird enough curiosity for you to search for the source though?

Your words...

It seem the White House pastry chef is as fed up with Michelle's healthy food policy as the rest of the us.

He's not, and maybe "the rest of us" are not either.

edit on 3/18/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Well, maybe she genuinely liked the guy and didn't want to fire him. Some chefs like a challenge. Others just want to do exactly as they have been trained. I've heard of pastry chefs who like to make healthy gluten-free, sugar-free, low fat deserts that taste out of this world. He just turned out to not be one of them. No biggie.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

~Lucidity
Here ya go...

In the Times story, Yosses says he made the “bittersweet decision” to leave because he was inspired by Obama’s passion for healthy eating and wanted to “teach children and adults about eating better.”

In fact, Yosses praised the first lady as an “inspiring boss” with a “combination of spontaneity and seriousness.” [Source]

The original story: [New York Times]

The actual headline: White House’s Top Pastry Chef to Leave Post

What it turned into: 'I Don't Want To Demonize Cream, Butter, Sugar And Eggs'

See how blind all this makes people? See how they can't seem to read or search beyond what others tell them to see?
edit on 3/18/2014 by ~Lucidity because: link was broken

And I said, I sympathized with her, too, just like he apparently does. She has every right to feed her family what she wants.

That still takes us back to ... If he makes stuff she doesn't want to eat, and she's asking him to make stuff he doesn't want to make, why keep him on and try to make him accommodate her? Why not just let him go in the first place?

Is this not clear that this is what I'm curious about?

Was this because of the prestige of having there?

Was this because she was just too lazy to find a chef who wanted to cook what she wanted to eat?

Was this because she wanted to force him to bend to her agenda?

Was she not wanting to deal with bad optics of firing an openly gay chef if he decided to complain?

Why not just release him and hire a chef who works with the ingredients I want in my food? That's what I think most people would expect her to do. It's what most people think a new presidential first family does, and I was just surprised it took this long.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
It's fun to bash on something so regular and normal.

Kind of like how the left bashes on Palin for things she's never said.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

It seem the White House pastry chef is as fed up with Michelle's healthy food policy as the rest of the us.

He was a holdover from the Bush administration, and Michelle Obama ordered him to use fruit purees and agave syrup and small plates. He played along, but eventually got tired of not ever using a pastry chef's main weapons.

I hate to break up your anti-Obama party but you're completely WRONG.

Michelle Obama’s pastry chef is quitting to become an advocate for healthy food

The New York Times is reporting that Bill Yosses, the White House’s executive pastry chef, is leaving in June for New York — partly to be with his husband, and partly to put together “a group and foundation of like-minded creative people” for promoting healthy food in schools. Here’s more from the Times on Yosses’ evolution from butter and cream to berries and whole grains:

Hired by Laura Bush in 2007, when he was already acclaimed in New York for the raspberry and pear souffles he created at restaurants like Montrachet and Bouley, Mr. Yosses began moving beyond the traditional sugar sculptures and cookie plates after Mrs. Obama arrived at the White House. He was directed to make more healthful desserts, and in smaller portions, that were to be served only sparingly to the first family.

Mr. Yosses began experimenting with alternatives to what he called “the usual blitzkrieg” of butter and cream. Now, he said, “we replace butter with fruit purée, which gives some body.” He often uses honey and agave in place of sugar, has added whole grains to desserts and is considering heirloom varieties of whole wheat without the bitterness of wheat bran and germ in modern whole-wheat flour.

Mr. Yosses has also been inspired by the White House garden, where he has chosen from a cornucopia of strawberries, blueberries, rhubarb, figs, papaya, carrots, sweet potatoes and herbs like lemon thyme flowers, lavender and pineapple sage. Nearby is honey from the White House beehives. The result — oatmeal bars, baked apples and pear-quince cobblers, among many others — will have a lasting impact on his eating habits, as will Mrs. Obama.

So, he's not leaving the White House because he's unhappy with his job. He's leaving for bigger and better things, things that just happen to be along the lines of Mrs. Obama's healthy projects!

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

lol
good points Lucidity
i starred you for being sensible on this one

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

t happens now and then...

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

kaylaluv
Nothing wrong with Michelle wanting healthier foods for her family. Nothing wrong with the hired chef moving on of his own free will, because he doesn't like cooking healthier foods. Meh. This is such a non-issue.

Sign of the times, that the cook REFUSES to cook healthy!

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

In all honesty - who gives a sh!t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join