It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House pastry chef resigns: ‘I don’t want to demonize cream, butter, sugar and eggs’

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Actually, I thought about entitling this "Gay Baker Doesn't Want to Bake Michelle Obama's Birthday Cakes' for the joke, but I didn't. I held true to the article title.

It seem the White House pastry chef is as fed up with Michelle's healthy food policy as the rest of the us.

He was a holdover from the Bush administration, and Michelle Obama ordered him to use fruit purees and agave syrup and small plates. He played along, but eventually got tired of not ever using a pastry chef's main weapons.

Yosses is leaving the White House in June to work on a new project focusing on “food literacy” and The New York Times says Michelle is “partly to blame.” The openly gay chef was hired by Laura Bush in 2007 to make his trademark cookie plates and sugar sculptures. Mrs. Obama took over in 2009 and ordered Yosses to make healthier plates in smaller portions.

Yosses began replacing butter with fruit puree and sugar with honey and agave. But Yosses was never fully committed to the new policy.

“I don’t want to demonize cream, butter, sugar and eggs,” Yosses said, noting that his departure from the White House is a “bittersweet decision.”

I can understand her perspective as a mother who wants to feed her son a healthy diet, but at the same time, the man is known for cookie plates and sugar sculpture ... don't you think you should let him stretch his legs doing his signature work? If not, then maybe this is for the best.

And no, you shouldn't demonize cream, butter and eggs at all. Sugar isn't great, but in very small amounts as an occasional treat ... why not?

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
If he can't accommodate the wishes of the people he works for and doesn't want to work there he doesn't have to work there.

Now even cake is polarized in this country. Oh...the drama.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Sugar, Creme, Butter, Eggs ... all things a pastry chef really needs to be able to use.
I don't blame him for leaving. His hands were tied. He was hired for PASTRY ...
Maybe the next administration will hire him back. He's obviously very talented.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
LOL, what?!? No more 1/10 size buttercream frosted replicas of the White House at State Dinners?

What will the world come to?

I'm sure Laura Bush will hire him back. I hear GWB misses the oatmeal cookies this guy used to make him.

Edited to add, it's a real good thing that I don't have a world class pastry chef at my beck and call. The only thing keeping me from massive amounts of weight gain every winter is that I'm too lazy to bake that often...
edit on 583243pmTuesdayf32Tue, 18 Mar 2014 16:32:58 -0500America/Chicago by signalfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with Michelle wanting healthier foods for her family. Nothing wrong with the hired chef moving on of his own free will, because he doesn't like cooking healthier foods. Meh. This is such a non-issue.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

signalfire
it's a real good thing that I don't have a world class pastry chef at my beck and call.

Seriously true .. have you seen pictures of his creations? My gosh ... he's talented.
If I lived in the White House I'd be the size of a mountain. Those folks eat GOOD!

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Good to know about a pastry guys opinion on sugar. This is important news. definitely worthy of the political madness forum.

ats.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Agave syrup is garbage and there is nothing healthy about it. If Michelle were truly committed to healthful eating she would cut out all sugars not found in fruit.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

kaylaluv
Nothing wrong with Michelle wanting healthier foods for her family. Nothing wrong with the hired chef moving on of his own free will, because he doesn't like cooking healthier foods. Meh. This is such a non-issue.

If you read what I said, I said I understood her perspective, but I also think if you have a guy who is known specifically for his cookies and sugar sculptures ... you ought to let him showcase those skills on occasion. If you don't, he's not going to his best use, ever. Why keep him? It sounds like he was willing to accommodate, but he never had the opportunity to do what he loved best in return.

I also think that given what we have seen of some state dinner menus, it's a little bit hypocritical to slim down the desserts. It's like the person who builds the honkin' huge taco salad loaded with sour cream, guacamole and everything else under the sun, and declares that they just ate healthy because it's a salad. If you're going to have state dinners loaded down with enough calories to feed any three people their recommended daily caloric intake, you might as well have a fully-loaded dessert while you're at it.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
sugar is a wmd

141 Reasons Sugar Ruins Your Health
(Just Kidding, it’s 143)
Excerpted from Suicide by Sugar

nancyappleton.com...
edit on Tuepm3b20143America/Chicago49 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on Tuepm3b20143America/Chicago17 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
BREAKING NEWS! MAN LEAVES JOB DUE TO CONFLICT WITH BOSS!

We now return to our regularly scheduled conspiracy theorizing.
edit on 18-3-2014 by InvisibleOwl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

This is a political statement of sorts. The dude is old school made to feel like a monkey for the new food politics. Got the best butter and sugar guy in the country doing "green" work at the white house. What drama. Dude must have been having a hard time looking at himself in the mirror as of late.

Like making Emeril do sushi all day.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Yeah, that's the part that puzzled me. If you are Michelle Obama, you have basically the best of everything because you are the first lady and how many people are going to turn down the opportunity to work at the White House. So why keep this guy if what you're after is someone who makes amazing desserts with agave syrup and honey and fruit puree and other non-sugar, cream, butter, alternative ingredients? What was the point?

Was she just assuming that one pastry chef is like another? I can't believe that because they seem to know their food.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Honestly let them eat cake !
with any ingredients they wish, there are people all over the world starving to death that will eat anything if they had it, too many people are concerned about the regulation of other individuals and their bodies, free will says I can do as I wish, without having a roving human being or government agency telling me what is right and wrong, have you worked in those types of places before where you have the lunch and food monitor ( nosey co-worker or managers) telling you don't eat this and don't eat that ? they should be concerned about their own children but find it their business to tell another adult what to eat or what is so called "nutritious"

I feel like once you turn 18 or whatever is legal, that's it, if you want over indulge in anything, that's your issue, and honestly no one has any control over it, that is your business, except for government and laws saying what is and is not right, all these created by men who are prone to Hypocrisy .

edit on 18-3-2014 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Logarock
reply to post by ketsuko

Like making Emeril do sushi all day.

More like making Emiril make Cream of Wheat...by the directions on the box.

The guy no longer enjoyed his job and decided to move on. Good for him. He'll find employment elsewhere.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
If you like your chef, you can keep your chef.

Seems to be a theme with this administration.

LOLZ

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

~Lucidity
If he can't accommodate the wishes of the people he works for and doesn't want to work there he doesn't have to work there.

Now even cake is polarized in this country. Oh...the drama.

Excellent point. Oh how confused the conservatives must be, as in "oh, he's anti-Obama, great! Oh...wait a minute...but he's gay?!?". And how confused liberals must be, as in "oh, he's anti-Obama, what a racist hater and glutton! Oh...wait a minute...but he's gay?!?". The left-right circus of indignation over stuff most sane people couldnt care less about is ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

No actually I'm more confused as to why they kept him when they obviously didn't want his skills.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

This is some crazy ass partisanship when the right wing outlets pounce on a effen Pastry Chef leaving as a springboard for knocking the first lady...yet again...for giving a crap about the sad, diabetic state of the country.

Wow...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join