It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are so many people in the Finance industry committing suicide?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by strongfp

I just think the media is just focusing on it a little more than they used to, giving the illusion it's happening out of the blue.

Yes, I'm thinking the same.

Maybe the media want us to think something is awry in the world of finance?

8 suicides doesn't seem an awful lot in the grand scheme of things.

ETA Can't quite see how foreseeing a slump/depression would make people chuck themselves off buildings, bad though that may be.

Pressure of the job, I would've thought (Lord knows, there's enough pressure in mine).
edit on 18.3.2014 by CJCrawley because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Its a very good possibility most of them shorted the market with everything they had after Bernanke's replacement came in. Many assumed the replacement wouldn't continue what Bernanke was doing and predicted a market drop, which it didn't.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CJCrawley

Correct.

Even if only 0.5% of the 30,000 suicidal deaths are people involved in finance, that's still 150 people per year. It's a media created frenzy for some reason we will probably never know. We barely here of any, in truth there's probably a finance related death via suicide every day. There are also thousands of suicides in other sectors as well and this focusing on finance is really giving me anger at all the help suicide victims in need of help, but the media is uses it to sell papers and an agenda. Makes me sick.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
We're having a huge number of bankers, probably "suicided" ie aka murdered, and its right in our face, too many to hide or be a coincidence, and yet some posters have said, baby boomers are committing suicide in higher numbers, or something to that effect?

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

More frustration! Have you had a look at the numbers I've posted?

Please think about it this way. On average, there is around 30,000 suicides in america EVERY YEAR. If people are only focusing on these 8 financiers and think it's some huge thing you do realise that that is only 0.02666666667% of the total right?

So, some logic here, if only 0.0267% of the 30,000 suicides are in finance is that a huge conspiracy? It's a patheticly small sample size pulled out to sell papers and cause panic. In reality approx 6% of the population is in finance. Not only that, theres about 4 male deaths per 1 death for females in suicide. The finance sector is largely a male domain. 0.0267% is about 5.733% short of actual numbers.

*pulls hair out*

edit on 18-3-2014 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

These aren't ordinary people, they are high profile execs.

Statistically it is called a cluster, and it is usually an indication that something is going on.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Ok, 'high profile execs', there's approx 300 finance suicides each year, it's not a leap to expect 8 of those to be execs. Companies are over ripe with 'exec' titles anyways. I just don't see it to be a cluster at all! You can pick just about any profession and they will be part of that 30,000 each year, we can't just ignore the rest of the suicides when the numbers are so massive and pick out a small group and name it a cluster.

I just don't see it!?

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   

BlackJackal

... So far this year, eight individuals from the finance industry have died in apparent suicides. Even more interesting is that most of them committed suicide by jumping to their deaths. I did some quick and dirty research on suicide methods. The most recent statistics that I can find which break out deaths by falls is from 2001 ...

You forgot this one:

FEBRUARY 4: Richard Talley, 57, founder of American Title Services in Centennial, Colorado, was found dead in his home with seven or eight wounds to his body and head. Seems he shot himself. With a nail gun. Seven or eight times.

Uh, yeah...

Honest. You can read it here.
edit on 18-3-2014 by incoserv because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by incoserv

like i said
bankers are clutzy
sequential triggers only

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I don't know what count you are keeping, but MSM is up to 12:

Young banker's suicide becomes twelfth in financial world this year

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackJackal

For the same reason that those working for apple in China
are doing the same.

I would gather.
edit on 19-3-2014 by Wildmanimal because: typo

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Being a photographer for a local, mid-sized, news station, we NEVER do stories on suicides...unless the person was a significant individual within the community. With that being said, since those people may have been significant within their respectful communities, those we reported on. It's just a coincidence that they all seem to be working in the financial industry.

You also need to take into account that working in this industry, in this day and age, would be incredibly stressful. A tiny mistake on their part...or a shift of the stocks, could potentially push people to extreme stress and depression...enough for someone to end their lives.

It's a sad world that we live in...when people's lives are dictated by meaningless paper.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Some good comments however drawing conclusions about suicide rates is problematic. For instance 85 people a day take their own life in America-only about a third leave any kind of explanation that can be understood. It's just hard to put down any kind of pattern with so much variation of the unknown.

There is no doubt just below the surface the American economy, and that of the world, is in deep, deep trouble. The problem in America is simple-no one will spend-no one will expand-no one will hire-period.

Borrowing money to create short term jobs is always a failure.

Still I can't see how this effects the suicide rate when so many leave no explanation.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Selective news coverage of stress related suicides?

AFSP facts & figures

2013 banker suicides article

or conspiracy?

Examiner article

While there are many articles on both angles, I only chose one of each that succinctly articulate each view.

Interesting that jumping is not common but seems to be preferred by bankers. I would suspect because they have easier access to tall buildings than most people and can get past the security?

Still, the nail gun suicide is a big red flag. I don't buy that for a second. And the disappearance of the Wall Street journalist also seems suspect.

On the other hand, I haven't seen a clear indication that these men were all involved in disclosures related to FOREX manipulation investigation. That seems to be rumor thus far. I suppose we will never know and that might just be what they want?

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
stress it is 1929 again you cannot walk the streets for bankers splatting of the sidewalk

does this look like the face of a consearned man

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join