It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Obamacare quote is not insane.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I read a post where someone wrote their Extreme healthcare quote. They said it would cost them around $1000 a month for obamacare. I thought this was insane. Either TPTB want the affordable healthcare act to fail, or they think we're idiots. Possibly, both. I had to see for myself, so I went to several different sites for a quote based on my own income, and what I found was that they weren't so bad.

I entered myself as a single, white, male, living alone
with a 24k income. For the most part, every quote i got said I'd be paying about $132 a month. This is taking into account a $1000 tax credit. Without the tax credit, it would be around $221. Here are some links to the different calculators/quote websites I used.

Kaiser Family Foundation Calculator

GetCoveredAmerica

Washington Health Benefit Exchange

Next I wanted to see what the deductibles, and out-of-pocket expenses would be. Keep in mind, I was getting quotes for the 'Silver', which isn't the lowest level. They didn't seem very extreme to me, but take a look at these links and see for yourself.

HealthPocket

MediCoverage

About.com

You'll notice a slight variance between the first two link's deductible amounts. That's due to competing companies offering slightly higher/lower amounts.

I tried to get a quote from my state's website, Nevada, but I was unable to do so without actually sending in a form to apply for it. Since I don't want to apply for Obamacare, I couldn't get the concrete amounts I would actually be paying. However, I think the quotes I linked are fair indicators.

I'd like to let you all know, I'm not a fan of obamacare. In the begining, when i thought it would have led to 'free' healthcare for all of us, like every other civilized nation, I was all for it. It devolved into a slightly changed version of what we already had, with the stipulation that we had to purchase healthcare, or else face punitive measures. I hate that bull@#$%. Everyone should be free to decide for themselves.

Feel free to tear my post apart. Point out any inconsistencies i missed, or any flaws in my understanding of obamacare. Again, not a fan, but I thought I'd disspell some of the outrageous claims I've been reading here.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Finally some truth~! LOL instead of outrages lies on both sides. Thank you for doing and posting this. This is the information we need.

Thanks again. We can't find truth without some good, real data.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by NativeZero

Try that again using the median US household income of $51,000 (that's "gross" not net btw) and spouse along with two children. I'd be interested to hear the result and your opinion after you see that number.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
My Buddy with Lupis and his wife with MS both in their 50's both smoke. They ended up with better health coverage than they previously had for 200.00 a month less than they were paying.

It did take them a fair bit of effort to figure it all out but the point is they have better coverage than they had, for less money.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Obamacare's cost to the individual isn't the issue. The problem is that "government" should not be allowed to control the healthcare industry. Look what "government" has done to degrade our public schools... and yet some people want them running the hospitals as well? Insanity...
edit on 18-3-2014 by madmac5150 because: Punk two ate shun

edit on 18-3-2014 by madmac5150 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix

In my state that would be $9,465 per year premium with a credit of $5,957 so $3,509 or $292 a month for the "silver" plan.

For me what I make solo and no kids it'd be $275 a month without any credits. I'm not eligible for subsidies.

As a side note I just paid cash to see a doctor the other day. $90.

edit on 18-3-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Phoenix

Try that again using the median US household income of $51,000 (that's "gross" not net btw) and spouse along with two children. I'd be interested to hear the result and your opinion after you see that number.

So, I got an increase of .2% of your pay with the parameters your suggesting. They'd be looking at a monthly payment of $292.41 after a tax credit of $5,907. It'd be $784 a month without the tax credit.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

You have to realize that you pay the full price out of pocket each month and only get 'reimbursed' come tax season.....do you have 221 extra a month not to mention the deductible and office costs you still have to cover as well?

edit on 18-3-2014 by ParanoidAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

madmac5150
Obamacare's cost to te individual isnt the issue. The problem is that "government" should not be allowed to control the healthcare industry. Look what "government" has done to degrade our public schools... and yet some people want them running the hospitals as well. Insanity...

I, mostly, agree with having less government interference. However, the healthcare system we had before obamacare wasn't working. Not saying obamacare has fixed it, but something had to change. Then look at other nations like canada, and japan. Their healthcare systems are working just fine, and they're free.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Good for you. how awesome for you. And congratulations on that $1000 subsidy. But you know what? My coverage doubled. I have a "catastrophe" plan meaning I'm willing to front for some risk and pay some out-of-pocket in exchange for a lower premium. If I have a heart-attack, it's covered. That works for me. That coverage WAS $300/month. Now it's $548/month.

I've been through all the calculators on the Exchange, and anything else is actually worse. And, yes, there are lots of factors. It's difficult to compare apples and apples.

So I'm really happy for all you folks who somehow have managed to get a good deal.

I don't.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

They are not free they pay taxes to receive that care. Nothing is free someone is always subsidizing someone else.

Japan has a 25% minimum income tax and Canada has a 5% we have a 0% minimum....

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Are you being mandated by the government to purchase this with punitive actions for non-compliance?

Welcome to Amerika.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 18-3-2014 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

If you make 400% or less of the Federal poverty level (FPL), you will receive a subsidy. In 2013, the Federal Poverty Level was $11,490 if you support just yourself.

Your income is at 200% above the poverty level, so your insurance is being subsidized with tax payer dollars. If you are 400% above the Federal Poverty Guideline, the entire cost will come out of your pocket, effectively reducing your living standard to poverty level after premiums are paid.

The system works great for all who live at the bottom income levels of society, but it drags a much larger percentage of people, who were doing okay, down to poverty level living.

They really don't need TV or cell phones.
They can eat $ meals, just like the rest. Eating healthy is over-rated, and cuts in to health care profits, anyway.
Americans should all unite, and see this through to the end. We can make it work!

Just wish I had a cell phone to give up so I could stretch my income to cover an occasional salad, or maybe a little fresh produce......

ACA?

edit on 200000011America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

ParanoidAmerican

You have to realize that you pay the full price out of pocket each month and only get 'reimbursed' come tax season.....do you have 221 extra a month?

Actually, your wrong. It's based on percentages. You only pay a certain percentage of your income, anything past that is your tax credit. For example, in my quotes, I pay 6.6% of my income, that's equal to $1584, the silver plan costs $2657. So my tax credit is roughly $1000 dollars. You pay your monthly bills based on the 6.6%, not the total cost of the silver plan, so you don't have to wait till the end of the year. Here's an article that explains it as well;

McClatchyDC

you'll want to scroll down 3/4's of the way.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

So you're the one....

link   

NativeZero
However, the healthcare system we had before obamacare wasn't working.

Can you explain how it wasn't working?

I used to be able to get coverage for less than $150 a month, now it will cost me $300 for garbage, $450 for OK coverage.

Obama's plan was for a perfect world scenario. Every young person would sign up and we would have one big group policy. Then the younger crowd would offset the older folks. The problem is, it's only the sick folks who are signing up. So rates will suck for everyone.

link   

Nativezero--

Should we wonder who is paying for your tax credit?

link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

And what was the deductible? Mind you that average salary of $51,000 thousand was gross and after Federal, State and local taxes its more than likely a net of $30,000 maybe $35,000 if one pushes tax credits and that where the $7 - 8,000 thousand comes from. Lets remember though not one penny is reimbursed until that deductible is met which most pro ACA folks conveniently leave out of their cost estimates.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

ParanoidAmerican

They are not free they pay taxes to receive that care. Nothing is free someone is always subsidizing someone else.

Japan has a 25% minimum income tax and Canada has a 5% we have a 0% minimum....

Ok, that makes sense. But, it's also true that most people are happy with their "Free" healthcare system.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join