It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much working is too much?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I totally agree on 6 hour work days. More reasonable.

In the past, I've worked insane shifts. During one christmas season, I'd do an 8 hour shift at one place, then drive 30 minutes away and do another 5 hours, and did this for two weeks. I've worked 16 hour shifts before, and have done a lot of overtime, worked two jobs, ect. But ultimately, I've decided less is more. The more overtime I worked, the less time I had to enjoy anything. The extra money really was not worth it. I had no life, and nothing to talk about except work, nothing else to think about. I was willing to cut corners and make do with less. I began to refuse overtime because I had no time. My depression improved a bit after.

I do not mind occasional overtime, but I would never allow a job to take more than 40 hours of my life per week as the norm, no matter how much it paid. It simply wouldn't be worth it. Unless it was something I was very passionate about, and really believed in, and had a positive, open work environment. Because of this, I will unlikely ever own a house, drive a new car, wear the newest clothing, and shop at thrift stores a lot, as I do not have a college degree or technical trade. But I am okay with that. It just means I get to spend more time enjoying what little I already have. As opposed to having tons of cool crap, a McMansion, and a minivan, but being too tired and having little time to enjoy it.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I've worked all kinds of hours, weird shifts, etc. I think a lot of it (capability) goes with age and mental capacity.

Working 'straight through' on a project can be a great benefit or a recipe for failure. Set and setting.

At my age, I think I prefer two two-day work weeks. Give me Wednesdays off and I'm a happy camper. When I retire from the job I have now, I'm gonna work on Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday doing what I love.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
People obviously forget that in the not too distant past, there was virtually no "leisure time". You worked from sun up to sun down and it wasn't for anyone, nor was it for money. You did it to survive. Nomadic tribes even today do this.

Pretty stupid saying people are slaves for working, since slaves never got any leisure time or money.

If we didn't work, even for minimal wages, we'd be slaves to our own survival.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Keep smashing Unions, that's sure to fix everything.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   
It all depends on the type of job, in my humble opinion.

I work long hours, sometimes 6 days a week. But it's a job I enjoy, I get paid well for it, it provides for my family, and I do find time to have fun with my family.

I guess if there is a secret to happiness, find something you like doing, find a way to get paid to do it, and enjoy life.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join