It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 Million Christians sign EU religion plea

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   
1m Christians sign EU religion plea

More than a million people from all over Europe are to deliver a petition to Tony Blair and fellow EU leaders calling for changes to the constitution recognising Europe's Christian heritage.

Refusing to accept a secular "fait accompli" from Brussels, a Christian coalition is demanding that each EU state publish its version of the constitution's preamble, with references to God if desired.

Already armed with 1,149,000 signatures and with thousands more pouring in from Holland since the murder of the film-maker Theo van Gogh, the group claims that most states want some reference to Christianity but were blocked by France.

Now France blocking this one is not a surprise, but this is a good sign to me as I thought Christianity was pretty much dead in Europe. Now the History part is undeniable, but not many hold to their forefathers beliefs.

This was pleasant news to me.

1m Christians sign EU religion plea

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I'm curious ed, what is it about Christianity that it is so pleasing for you to see Europe declare its basis upon it?

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
I'm curious ed, what is it about Christianity that it is so pleasing for you to see Europe declare its basis upon it?

Well being one has its own reason but that is not why I want to see Europe admitt its Christian roots. I wonder why they deny so much when even America was founded on these same roots.

Look, Even Israel is secular today, but it still claims its Jewish roots.

In the United States today there is a move to take any reference of Christianity out of public life..and I find this sad.

I mean I do believe in religious freedom for all, but never deny ones roots.......

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   
But what is the benefit of adding a reference to Christian roots in the EU constitution. History hasn't changed. Even I, in America, learned about the predominance of Christianity in Europe. So, please explain why this is needed in the Constitution. What would the addition change that historians haven't already written about?

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
What's the population of the EU now? 380 million, roughly?
Just out of curiosity, if you broke that down, how much would that be?
One person out of, how many?

(I really suck at math).

Anyway, doesn't sound like much of a mandate.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
It's the "Dark Ages II: Christianity Strikes Back"

Seriously, this is good that there are people in the world willing to stand up for their beliefs. There's nothing wrong with Christianity if one actually atempts to be Christ like. With 2000 years of perpetual war (many religious) you won't be surprised if I'm not completely moved. Being raised in the church I learned hypocrisy at an early age. I think the main reason for the hypocrisy is that Christians take the bible too literally. And look at all the denominations. Are all interpretations correct? Really after 17 years I seen enough but I did take the good stuff with me. Here's my hypothosis. Christianity at it's roots was Gnostic. Gnostic was a much purer form. But as time passed more parts were added to the Bible that were sometimes twists of the original work. It's the Christians that are too blind to see these inconsistencies and add their logic that breed hypocrisy. So as they read "the blind leading the blind" they are too blind to see they are blind. Not talking about anyone in particular just those types.

There is an easy remedy. Read the Bible as though it were ATS.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Im not sure about the EU but I think there is something like 560 million Christians in Europe.The largest single bloc in the world

www.psu.edu...

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   

In the United States today there is a move to take any reference of Christianity out of public life..and I find this sad.

A million pagans should sign a petition asking for thier stories copied by Christians for thousands of years, back -- No?

No, it's to take it out of the Government and Schools; not the public life. I have no qualms with walking into a Christian theme park and being chased around by heathens, I just do not want to learn Christianity as a basis of history, as per the Bible.

Deep

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I think it is a great thing about Christians asking that their roots be recognized in Europe. That is, after all, where Christianity really got its foothold.

Christianity isn't bad. It's only in America where Christians have really begun to destroy Christ's real teachings and have succumbed to a political agenda.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869
Christianity isn't bad. It's only in America where Christians have really begun to destroy Christ's real teachings and have succumbed to a political agenda.

I cant say I agree with this statement. Im sure the people of Europe were following Christ's real teachings during the crusades and the Spanish inqustion.

People started to destroy Christ's real teachings before there even was a America.

[edit on 25-11-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme
What's the population of the EU now? 380 million, roughly?
Just out of curiosity, if you broke that down, how much would that be?
One person out of, how many?

I'll give you a hand here: 1,000,000/380,000,000=1/380=.002631=.2631%

Got it?

[edit on 04/11/25 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I always thought that Christianity arose in the Middle east. Well, beyond that, Theocratic and fundamentalist ideologies never beget productive and positive discourse throughout history; the Middle East has become a prime example of this, as have other fundamentalists countries.

If you are going to extol a nations ability to be tolerant towards other faiths, and also hold secular and pluralist ideals, then you better stick by them, and keep your own religious ethos at home and in the Church.

Deep

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I think that a person has the right to believe in any religion/deity they choose, however I do not think there should be reference or influence of it in any government in the world, and technicaly europes roots arent christian there Catholic, christianity is an offshoot of catholicism which in itself comes from Judaism which comes from other religions in India,
Also being atheist really doesnt effect the way in which I think about religion and state.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei Judaism which comes from other religions in India

What? Abram was Indian? hmmm

Go figure, I thought he was Sumerian being from Ur and all.

[edit on 25-11-2004 by edsinger]

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I think he may be speaking of the many teachings from which it is derived from. The Cult of Mythriasm --Constantines creed-- comes from the Indo-Iranian diety, Mitra, the agent of the supreme Diety, Ahura Mazda --In Persian--, and Varuna --In India.

Deep

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
For God's sake, keep religion out of politics - it would just pave the way to yet more religious fundamentalism, which has brought the world to this - a war on terror... this stuff is just plain divisive.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
I think he may be speaking of the many teachings from which it is derived from. The Cult of Mythriasm --Constantines creed-- comes from the Indo-Iranian diety, Mitra, the agent of the supreme Diety, Ahura Mazda --In Persian--, and Varuna --In India.

Deep

Uh Deep, Abram has nothing to do with Constantine at all......

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 12:56 AM
link   

and technicaly europes roots arent christian there Catholic, christianity is an offshoot of catholicism which in itself comes from Judaism which comes from other religions in India,

Ed, he never spoke of him either. He simply stated a general notion that the Judiac faith was influenced by previous ones that 'may' have resided in India, among other regions.

Deep

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 01:29 AM
link   
And again, Judism was not founded on any other religion, Abram became abraham and the jewish religion was started, down through Issac etc etc.

There are no relationships with India, as India has no montheistic God that I know of???

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I think the current formulation is a good Compromise

Drawing inspiration from the cultural, religious and humanist inheritance of Europe, the values of which, still present in its heritage, have embedded within the life of society the central role of the
human person and his or her inviolable and inalienable rights, and respect for law

[edit on 25/11/04 by tsuribito]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join