It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You Were Born In The 60s, 70s, or 80s, You Have to Watch This

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Late 1950's here....times were sure different back then.

I grew up in a fairly small town and as a kid we used to think up some weird stuff to do....

I remember one time I went with some guys to light a firecracker in somebodies mailbox....as in the kind of mailbox that's attached to the front of your house right by your front door....there were about 10 of us and it was a big deal to be brave enough to actually go up with the person who was the fuse master. Like a dummy, I went. Only thing was I didn't know it was a cherry bomb and not a firecracker.( Cherry Bomb AKA M-80 super firecracker.... Like take off your hand or foot type of firecracker.... one you want to be no where near when it goes off type... they are illegal today. ) I remember we all ran as soon as we saw the first sparks of the fuse.

To this day I can vividly remember running like the wind when there was this huge flash followed by an enormous ka-boom!!!!

I will never forget the sound of that persons mailbox landing on the street beside me as I was running away. I almost peed myself LOL...

A couple of days later I found out that it also cracked several of the windows in the house and I just knew there would be a huge man hunt with blood hounds and my life was over at 10 looking at life in the big house.

But we never got caught.

I guess these days we would be considered terrorists or something... back then it was being a stupid kid.
edit on R062014-03-21T02:06:41-05:00k063Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I was born in 66. I found out I was vaccinated for smallpox. I survived. I went bicycling for years without a helmet. I was lucky. Someone talked me into wearing one. I may have mentioned I estimated my speed downhill a couple of times at 60 mph. I survived but that was dangerous without a helmet. Years later my mountain bike fell apart and I fell and hit my head on concrete. Thank goodness I was wearing a helmet. My helmet was smashed up. I might not have woken up in the hospital if not for the helmet.

Some say they have to have a cell phone. I still do not. I did buy an iPad when it came out. I remember when the first iPhone came out I walked into a Best Buy store. I looked at the tiny iPhone, then asked the clerk, do you have anything with a much larger screen and a data only plan? The clerk looked puzzled and said no.

I'm not going to post all the stuff I got away with. I even settled disagreements with bullies by fighting them. I won. No police were ever involved. I preferred not to fight anyone and only did it in self defense.
I didn't have access to a pc or even an R rated channel on tv until after High School. There was no Internet for the public until years later. We had to use books to look up information. I actually read several novels as well. That's one thing I miss because not everything I read about has been turned into a movie yet. All the Marvel super heroes in the movies now are the super heroes guys my age used to read about in the comic books.

I was hoping there would be a super powerful Phoenix in the X Men series that they would worry about her going super nova. She did go super nova in the comic book series but she rose from the dead or from her ashes. The Silver Surfer was a regular worker for Galactus who was so powerful, he routinely ate whole worlds. The Fantastic Four movie didn't depict him as well as the comics did. There is still more time to make more movies. My generation is bringing our fantasies to the movies and I like it. It makes sense that the people making these movies are about the same age as me. I think it's great to see what we used to visualize in books appear in the movies. In another ten years, I imagine a younger generation will be making movies based on their fantasies.
edit on 21/3/14 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Yes, cool thread. Being a teenager in the 70's I would not trade that for anything.

I do think today's teens get a bad rap. The ones I got to know that worked out here last summer didn't seem any different than the kids I hung around with when I was that age. The world around them has changed-they try to deal with it the best they can. The biggest thing that hurts them is the lack of jobs. I started washing dishes at Red Lobster when I was 14 and I just loved that job. We had our school life, our work life and home life-and very little spare time in between.

Today's teens have nothing like that-just hours and hours of doing nothing and phones and internet fill the void. The kid at the store told me he can't get more than 18 hours a week and how are you supposed to have a dating life on that-if there was some place to go which there isn't. So give them a break.

Who ever mentioned building forts we did that relentlessly.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
everything definitely started going down hill in the 90s.

why do you think that was?

I speculate that its the freedom of knowledge and the power of the internet - ignorance may have been bliss back in those decades and thats important because maybe we are exactly the same but with facebook and global news, nothing gets buried anymore.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I was born in the 90s and i do still remember such times as well

We too had such a childhood, it really was the greatest nothing compares to it.
However, it is a great shame that media has taken control over our lives so quickly as it's 'for the better.'

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Awesome post and video. S&F for you.

I was born in 1964, will hit the big 50 this May.

Yeah, I remember playing outside and coming back home when it got dark. All of us were fit and skinny because we were outside all day playing and getting sunshine and exercise.

There was no internet, cell phones, or video games. We actually used our imagination. Imagine that!

And yep, I drank from a garden hose, and I'm still here. Played dodge ball and wound up with a black eye. Ah, those were the days!

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
i envy those that grew up in the 60s 70s and 80s. i grew up in the 90s but still had alot of fun. rode my bmx bike all day everyday with neighbor kids, blow up and burn hotwheels cars, explore abandoned houses, walk train tracks etc. i would come in for dinner bloody and dirty every night
we had nintendo but i dont remember being into it as much as being outside jumping my plywood ramp on my bike and being a little hooligan.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I got an eye-opener earlier today,

Some teenagers were talking about popular hit music at a check-out counter. The 40ish clerk I'm sure was trying to be cool when he said; "well I think the greatest band in the world was the Beatles"!

The kids said nothing paid for their purchases and were on their merry way.

As I moved forward in line I happen to hear one of the kids mutter softly to the other two "Whose the Beatles?"

Gosh do I feel old.. But Hey.. I MADE IT..!

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyAnonymous

You gotta be kidding, we couldn't have possibly moved on that far that the current generation doesn't know who the Beatles are... I am feeling so old lately, I don't need this to add to it!

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyAnonymous

dont feel bad.

its ironic the information age of the internet turns out so many stupid uneducated kids.

Its a flood of uninteresting, irrelevant bullfluff. people would rather click "like" on a funny cat pic that read a news paper and these days thats not even a good source of actual news.

Its gunna be a tough few decades, see you on the other side brother.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 03:30 AM
link   
A lot of people who lived during these decades didn't make it. Many of them went to places like Viet Nam. There is no difference between then and now. The policy has always been the same; it is just coming to a conclusion now. It remains to be seen whether that policy will be successful or not. The goal of this foreign (and domestic) policy is the total control of the planet Earth by entities within the United States. It remains to be seen whether those who made it will continue to make it.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I was , I remember the tears of parting in a pioneer camp in USSR www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Born late 50's. Yeah! It's simply true, and I'm kinda missing it. Once we tried to pass it down to our off-springs literally switched off the net line and on for a couple of hours when the weather was miserable. It didn't take long for them to find out the trick. ( I must admit that they are smarter than we were, or we were more kid-like kids?) I can't deny that sometimes those games comes to handy as an affordable e-babysiter.

That's the thing. We've got a gigantic gap with these Y + Z Gens, and trying hard to comprehend their 'new' acts. Following our discipline is ''un-cool''; having guts to vandalize is ''cool''; breaking laws is considered ''super-cool''.......... they have no more word to say than ''COOL'', but do they know there are more sophisticated words than cool? They scratch and bang their heads together and think....... ( no more words to spell out ) ----- ''COOL'' is their last word.

Shall we chase after them or drag our own ass and be un-cool?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join