It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

If You Were Born In The 60s, 70s, or 80s, You Have to Watch This

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 09:41 AM

reply to post by AccessDenied

I think we get wisdom, to pass down to our kids. To let them know there is more to life than video games, and you can build things with your hands. That working for something is better than just having it handed to you.

I dont have any kids yet, but those are some of the things I will pass on.
The odd thing is that many of the kids are products of parents that grew up in the 60s, 70s and 80s. I see them either being over protective and/or indifferent to their kids poor behavior when in public. I have no idea where that came from. I know we were taught to be respectful of others and not run around like lunatics in a restaurant. When we sat for dinner, there were no distractions and we talked about our day at school or what we did for fun during summer days off from school. Now dinner, where the family is together, is also something else lost to the past.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 09:45 AM
i am so old i remember getting a Apple & Orange FOR X-MAS and being happy when i saw a t.v set come into the house it was like magic remember looking at Hippie's and laughing ,

toasting bread on a open fire ,walked miles to school at 6 years old and hand cranking a car , pop out indicators on a vehicle ,
and could get a great night out for the price of a pack of cigg's and have change in the morning

those were the years but 6 decades of hard living

edit on 18-3-2014 by 999zxcv because: memory ?

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 09:48 AM
1954 here, I remember teeter-totters, jungle gyms, monkey bars and merry go rounds which brought skinned knees, broken arms and lost teeth. LOL and that was just me and my siblings. I was a tom-boy (is that even a phrase anymore) I lost toe nails riding on the back of tricycles with only our feet for brakes as we roared down neighborhood hills, running from the bulls as we took shortcuts through pastures to go to school, building what we thought was Olympic size "ski jumps" to fly over in our flying saucers in the winter... such great memories!

I look out into the neighborhood I live in now and it's residential with young families and I rarely see children out playing, never hear the laughter or screams of delight in play. There are no treehouse, no baseball games being played at the park, no bicyles races... children have been stripped of thier imaginations, it's all done digitally and virtually. Sad, so very sad.

Thanks OP for the video, loved the memories!

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 09:50 AM
The city where I grew up doesn't have any hydrant flooded ice rinks or community swimming pools anymore because of lawsuits. Sad eh?

I don't know if this was just a regional thing or what, but my sister and I who were kids in the 70's remember orange hands on black paper were handed out to citizens who put them in their front windows so kids knew who they could go to for a "helping hand".

We picked up wagons full of chestnuts or crab apples and had fights with 'em using the metal trash cans lids as shields. My sister got worms from playing in a sand box all day and I lost my front baby teeth on the "monkey bars".

We came home so dirty and tired from fresh air, got a "Mr. Bubble" bath and passed out cold on our sheets that had hung on the line in the sun all day and smelled so good. Right there doing crazy stuff with the boys we were tomboys and loved it

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 10:19 AM
It seems like those who lived so 'dangerously' according to the vid are the same ones trying so hard to make a regulated, safe world for their kids.

Maybe the self-congratulatory back pats are not so deserved.
(no offense to anyone here, I am sure you are doing everything you can to shape the world you live in, I mean everyone else of course...)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 10:52 AM

It seems like those who lived so 'dangerously' according to the vid are the same ones trying so hard to make a regulated, safe world for their kids.

Yes, I agree, and in the benevolent spirit of protecting kids from themselves, they remove their right to just about anything which we would consider prerequisite to childhood.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 10:54 AM
1976 was a great year to be born (bicentennial baby). Growing up we lived in the outter lying suburbs and had a huge field behind our house filled with over grown grass, wild flowers and small wild animals. My sister wanted to rescue every abandonded baby bird or chipmunk. I had a squirrel as a pet at the age of 3! We explored a burned out barn and made a club house in the old "tire pit". I would climb trees in my bare feet (cuz that's really the best way, don't ya know?) to have some quiet "facebook" time with Laura Ingalls Wilder and day dream about a simpler time.

We didn't have all these "modern conveniences" keeping us indoors and isolated. We built snowmen every winter and would even run outside in our p.j.'s to make snow angels as soon as there was a dusting of white stuff on the ground. Until this winter I hadn't noticed just how absent of snowmen the yards have become. A few weeks ago a snow storm knocked out power to some parts of the county and you could tell who didn't have power a few days afterward because there were snowmen, or snow forts or sled paths through yards. That's when it hit me... "OMG, we are taking childhood away from kids today!"

It makes me long for a "Little House on the Prairie".
edit on 18-3-2014 by IrishCream because: spelling of course

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 10:59 AM
I still remember my mom yelling across the neighborhood when it was time to eat. We didn't have much then, but we had some resemblance to what is portrayed as community. Sometimes, I wish that money and the lack thereof didn't have such a pivotal role in people's lives.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:25 AM
Ah yes... born in the 60's and I remember the freedom, the self reliance, the glory!

After we were molested by the guys in the vans, we'd wipe ourselves off and be home in time for supper... I recall chewing my arm off to escape ol' farmer Wilson's traps and bare knuckle brawling with the other third graders...sigh, those were the days.

But in all seriousness, I do remember getting a couple pocket knives from my uncle when I was about five and promptly running to the other kids in the neighborhood and having extended knife fights... heh... and I have a few scars from that. No parent ever found out.

It was different... and people will change because of the differences... but it's all good. My self reliant butt still hooked onto video games and social media, though, as it came out.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:41 AM
I was born on the 20th of March, 1985. When I was a kid, I used to cycle, and skate, anywhere I pleased. I knew every gap in a hedge, every natural den in the woods. I used to play on the industrial park, go to the beach, either of them, go to the play park, hang out all over the place, at all times of day and night.

When I was thirteen, I used to sod off for a walk if I could not sleep during the night, and end up walking around the streets just to calm myself down. I never thought anything of it! I used to play pretend with other kids from my street, or manhunt, and find the abandoned loft in the abandoned garage, which served as the perfect hiding spot, or climb up a telegraph pole onto someones shed roof and lay down flat, another good tactic.

Active, fearless, crazy. Thats what kids should be allowed to be, and would be if there was not all this pathetic molly coddling happening.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 12:46 PM

Maybe the self-congratulatory back pats are not so deserved.
(no offense to anyone here, I am sure you are doing everything you can to shape the world you live in, I mean everyone else of course...)

Well being a 1960 baby here and I said just what you stated, earlier in the thread. Not sure what prompted the nanny state. I guess I see two motivations for it. One is the esoteric liberal who knows what's best for everyone and the other is the greedy capitalist who sees a profit in it and exploited it by selling all the safety measures. The combination is lethal to our freedom when these same people lobby for a spot in the government. Once they gain a foothold, they need to keep searching for ways to control our lives and allegedly keep us safe from ourselves. This keeps them relevant in their own minds.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 03:05 PM
i miss the 80s.

yeah, i said it.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:37 PM
Totally awesome thread, you guys truckin rock.

Remember when manners were a given and it was Mr and Mrs, please and thank-you.......yeah those were the days.

My childhood hero and the beginning of my teen years......

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:04 PM
reply to post by Hillbilly123069

What's sad was nowadays people now focus on their iphones, Nintendo DS, etc waaaaay toooo much rather than meeting with real people. For example in my college I tried to talk to this one girl but she always focus too much on her Nintendo DS to pay any attention too me.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:26 PM
I grew up in the 90's I remember me and all the kids in the street and other streets would go on bike rides, play footbal or just mess around outside all without our parents supervising us, these days even on a nice day in the middle of the summer holidays the streets are deserted and all the kids are indoors playing xbox or playstation, sure we still played videogames in the 90's but wan't the main passtime back then.
When we where 12/13 we used to travel 20/30 miles on our own on the train to the beach all day, exploring new places and nothing bad ever happen to us.

These days kids never leave their parents sight, never go out without their parents and don't even take themself to school.

Over protecting kids is not good for them because they have no life experiances beyond their parents supervision, kids today have no common sense at all and wonder why they can't hold down a job when they leave school, some of them can't even hold a conversation.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:28 PM
The 60s were a fantastic time to be a kid...I swear even the toys were better then.

We had a tiny black and white TV and, in England then, only TWO channels - BBC1 and ITV (only posh people had BBC2).

Yet there was always something good on the box (for a kid anyway).

The only cloud on the horizon was the Cold War.

From an early age I realised that I could be zapped out of existence in a split second if it all went tilt.

I remember when they were testing the cobalt bomb and my dad telling me it could cause an unstoppable chain reaction and kill everybody.

I went to bed that night - I'd be about ten - thinking, "Well, this could be it. Might not wake up in the morning."

Great memories overall, but stuff like that stays with you.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:51 PM

Some food for thought...

edit on 18-3-2014 by Eryiedes because: ETA

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:04 PM
Mom's line when she had had enough of wild children running around:

"Go outside and get the stink blown off you! Come home by the time the streetlights are on." Living as far north as we did, that was after 9 pm in the summer. We were like...7, 8 maybe?

The stuff we got up to, and the distance we got from the house as little kids, would get us carted off by Child Protective Services these days.

All my father did was "Count limbs and eyeballs" when he got home.

Different world.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:56 PM
I was 15 in 1965. The only difference between now and then, plentiful jobs, cheap medical, cheap rent/housing, cheap food relative to wages. The stress level was just about nil except for family domestic problems. In 1968, on a waitress job, I could get a place to live, power, phone, and food. The racial tensions was high but that did not raise the stress level to what it is now for families. The players in the stock market was small compared to now and businesses shared their profits more with the employees.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 08:34 PM
Ah memories...Born in the 50's, floated through the 60's, marched into the 70's, disco'd in the 80's, had a "hair-band" in the 90's, changed my lifestyle (again for the umpteenth time)in the Millenium roll-over, and just tryin' to get through in this Millenial Decade # 2.

I remember my hometown. It became a city when I was 10!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>