It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maintaining Awareness As You Fall Asleep

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I have decided to begin reading again 'Astral Dynamics' by Robert Bruce. I read some of it before, but never really followed through with it enough to make real progress. Although I did successfully astral project one time, but that was just attempting what made sense to me while aware as falling asleep, independent of attempting to cultivate it through the book.

Anyways, as reading the theory section of the book, which I mostly skipped over when reading before, he says something so directly that I have always found to be so extremely important, but never seems to be directly said. He identifies the trance state with maintaining awareness as the body falls asleep. This is exactly right. Going to sleep really for a while was like my practice. To maintain awareness as I fall asleep, it is a meditation. It really requires maintaining a meditative state to do it successfully.

Generally I would consciously enter a dream through this consciously falling asleep, but there is a whole process which you experience in the transition. This is also how I successfully astrally projected the one time I did. Anyways, just the act of consciously entering a dream, and seeing how that process actually unfolds, is extremely illuminating to understanding the dream world.

So anyways, I think this is an important point, that should be more widely considered. I believe learning to maintain awareness while letting the body fall asleep is an important spiritual practice. It ties together meditation, lucid dreaming, and astral projection. I really think it contains the key to all of them. Doing this absolutely guarantees lucid dreaming, can be used to develop reliable astral projection, and truly is a powerful tool in developing your meditative abilities. I'm not sure if this is generally possible without having already gotten a few hours of sleep, though. I know I have done it at least once, but I know REM sleep normally starts at least a couple of hours after falling asleep, so I'm not sure if this was just some fluke, or if it can also be developed.

edit on 18-3-2014 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TheJourney

yes, it's like meditation, but bear in mind that 'meditation' is not meditation. we normally think of 'meditation' with all sort of loaded assumptions and (mis)understandings of what that term really means. it is much deeper and broader than that.
keep thinking about about 'awareness'. have you read monroe's book?

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   

taoistguy

yes, it's like meditation, but bear in mind that 'meditation' is not meditation. we normally think of 'meditation' with all sort of loaded assumptions and (mis)understandings of what that term really means. it is much deeper and broader than that.
keep thinking about about 'awareness'. have you read monroe's book?

Not sure what book you're referring to, or Monroe. But I agree that meditation has a more broad, even potentially universal, meaning.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   

you may find robert monroe and especially frank kepple's writings interesting.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   
People thinkof meditation as pushing thoughts away. It is allowing them without judgement.

When you can accept your thoughts without attachment, then you find freedom from what binds you to negative emotion.

Just thought id add that, but awareness in sleep for me is a hypnagogic state, which can allow you to vividly go anywhere you want to... or be taken to sinister alien/demons lairs and giggled at as you are unable to move. Once more it is judgement that attaches you to wherever it is you go.

Your mind is quite programmable. If you stop the automatic processes from terminating and staying resident.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   

One technique is to create a false persona, another identity or alter-ego, imagine that you are two people stuck inside the same body, and your other-half is sleeping whist you are awake.
edit on 18-3-2014 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Thank you for your insight! It does make sense to me that developing your inate ablility of lucid dreaming/astral projection/meditation should all be much easier then we make it and it makes sense that approaching our daily trance of sleep with the intention of maintaining awareness of this shift would be a great place to start. I could see how observing your thoughts without attachment, while maintaing the intention of expanding your conscious ability into the astral realm could go hand in hand as you are drifting off to sleep! look forward to working with this approach! Also what a great way to develop meditation!!!

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I try to hone in on the imagery that my eyes/mind try to produce. Swirling coloured bits of (what look like) particles that shape, move and flow around my eyes, that I know have to be related to the way my mind constructs an image that my eyes can observe, or the part of my brain that perceives images and objects.

Its starts as moving 'matter', from there I have made chairs, faces, eyes-(seem to be cropping up more than ever) and this one time... a sleigh being pulled by reindeer... I'm not kidding. So that tells me that I have some sort of connection with the way my mind makes images that have some sort of 3D element to them. The deeper into sleep I go, the harder it is to, 'remember' what I am doing, dreaming has a way of making complete and absolute sense, then upon waking up, repeating out-loud what has happened, and only then do I realize that is was the most ridiculous of dreams and makes no sense…what so ever.

But the point in which I can see that chair start to take shape at a distance, in that, it is now in a room, and it looks about 5 or 6 feet away from me, the perception of the distance makes the chair a more realistic object, and that is when it starts to bare colour. From there, I can look around and stand up and investigate. VERY HARD, I might add. It’s like trying to tell yourself that you can do this and look around and explore, but at the same time, "Don't let yourself know that you are dreaming". It’s like stay relaxed and don’t let yourself become ‘alert’ to it because, in my experience, more often than not, it breaks the dream instantly, I can feel the mechanisms in my head change (behind my eyes) like a feeling of focusing on something really close up to your face. (You can test this by holding your hand up to your face very close and very quickly and 'feeling' your eye muscles change to bring it into focus.

Difficult to master, it’s like, OK, I can’t be arsed with this now, I’m getting tired!

edit on 18-3-2014 by D0M1N0 because: Changed allowed to out-loud paragraph 2 line 4.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TheJourney

Hi Journey,

I also had a few successful attempts through practice. What helped me was use of the will and meditative awareness of my vibrational energies. A book I read about astral projection suggested the increase in vibrational intensity throughout the body and what happened after was amazing. I blanked for a second, assuming that I became completely absorbed into the experience, I found my consciousness floating above my self, but not my physical body; I was floating above my energy body.

Thank you for sharing this advice, it has been difficult to repeat the experiences lately.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ChristinaLM

"Vibrational energy" when people say that just what in the hell are we talking about here? I'm not trying to be rude I just have no idea what that means.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

I think that his term is subjective, as are most of them regarding spiritual matters and because of that it is easy to get confused or get lost in translation.

Until you try it and experience it, you won't know what the hell is he on about...

To me it is clear, because I know from experience that, when you are trying to be aware when falling asleep that something starts to vibrate in your body. You can call that energy or conciousness or whatever. This is not exact science and therefore subjective terms are used.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

I'm glad that you became curious. To my knowledge, everything is energy and contains a vibrational frequency. This includes sound from music to everything we can hear and don't hear, as well as the colors we see; hence how we feel when we see the color blue or yellow. Everything emits energy and I believe we have the inherent ability to detect how it affects us. The vibratoinal frequency that I mentioned earlier, is the frequency within our body. As a human body of thinkers, we have a general understanding of our nervous system, but an ongoing learning about how our thoughts and environment affect our internal systems. In a nutshell, we can detect these vibrations and there are many practitioners who are learning how to use it constructively. Therefore, I recently learned that it has been associated with our astral projections.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: ChristinaLM

"Vibrational energy" when people say that just what in the hell are we talking about here? I'm not trying to be rude I just have no idea what that means.

When you experience 'vibrational energy' in the in-between state, there is no mistaking it. This is obviously a term she used, but I definitely know what she's talking about, something like that is all you can call it. And understand, this energy is not something metaphorical or a subtle thing that you try to feel extra hard with your imagination. It is, an insanely intense energy that absolutely overwhelms you pulsating inside of your body.

top topics

join