It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The British Wall

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   
How'd we get to the beach if there's a bl**dy great wall in the way?

And think of all the quarrying that'd need doing? We'd have to dig up the whole of the Cairngorms or the Lake District!

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by taoistguy

with all the recent turmoil over malaysian planes and russians expanding their borders, is it time for britain to protect its interests and build a wall around the country?

How do missing Malaysian planes and the problems in the Ukraine directly harm British interests?
How would 'building a wall around the country' help us in any way?

.....such an endeavour would increase the economy by the jobs this will create thus boosting the economy.

I'm all for British jobs for British people.
But you have to recognise and acknowledge that we do have skills shortages in some areas.

And some immigration is good for the country and allows it to continue to grow, develop and evolve.

And probably the most important point of all; the days where the UK was self-sustainable have long since gone. If any 'wall' was put in place, be it a real physical wall or some sort of legislative isolationist policy, then I'm afraid the UK would crumble within years.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Freeborn
reply to post by taoistguy

with all the recent turmoil over malaysian planes and russians expanding their borders, is it time for britain to protect its interests and build a wall around the country?

How do missing Malaysian planes and the problems in the Ukraine directly harm British interests?
How would 'building a wall around the country' help us in any way?

.....such an endeavour would increase the economy by the jobs this will create thus boosting the economy.

I'm all for British jobs for British people.
But you have to recognise and acknowledge that we do have skills shortages in some areas.

And some immigration is good for the country and allows it to continue to grow, develop and evolve.

And probably the most important point of all; the days where the UK was self-sustainable have long since gone. If any 'wall' was put in place, be it a real physical wall or some sort of legislative isolationist policy, then I'm afraid the UK would crumble within years.

Britain already has a wall; it's called the British sense of humour.
Seems like you're already on the wrong side of it by attempting to answer in a serious (yet entirely sensible) manner.

Intentional silly-ness is quintessentially British and has yielded some of the best (and at times worst; think "The Goodies" ) comedy so far...even just thinking of Lancelot's charge in the Holy Grail makes me smile.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   
They can start by building a wall around Scotland, that will be the biggest comedy of the decade.
edit on 18-3-2014 by sparklez because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   

sparklez
They can start by building a wall around Scotland, that will be the biggest comedy of the decade.

Without a steady flow of english tourists, they will tear themselfs to bits!!!

OH THE SCOTNAMITY

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Biigs

sparklez

Without a steady flow of english tourists, they will tear themselfs to bits!!!

OH THE SCOTNAMITY

More the influx of Scotish economic immigrants.

Don't forget to pay EU tarrifs to export to the EU.

Don't forget to get your visa / visa wavier for travel into the EU zone.

Don't forget to hand back your non Scotish passport

Don't forget EU residence permits when living in the EU too.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   

sparklez

Have you considered a career as a second century Roman Emperor ??
en.wikipedia.org...

Anyone suggesting that the net benefits of governing locally in the UK don't outweigh having to issue new passports really needs to go to Westminster and see how London centric the upper and lower chambers are..

In practice I think Scotland will be managed just as badly by the Scottish but better the devil you know.

edit on 18-3-2014 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Jukiodone
reply to post by sparklez

en.wikipedia.org...

Just stating facts, that is what I have to put up with when I travel and work and live around the EU zone, and I am living INSIDE it. Imagine the extra paperwork if you live OUTSIDE it (and Spain/Italy/others will never allow seperatism in EU as that risks Catolonia and Vennice seperating and other places, they don't want this precident set).

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Jukiodone

I am well aware that some of the most unique thing about the British people are our ability to see humour in any given situation and the art of taking the piss out of ourselves, each other and anything or anyone else.

This thread was placed in the 'Political Issues' Forum.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   

sparklez

Jukiodone

en.wikipedia.org...

Just stating facts, that is what I have to put up with when I travel and work and live around the EU zone, and I am living INSIDE it. Imagine the extra paperwork if you live OUTSIDE it (and Spain/Italy/others will never allow seperatism in EU as that risks Catolonia and Vennice seperating and other places, they don't want this precident set).

Venice is having a vote as we speak not a lot has been heard about that but a lot about the illegal ? vote on the Crimea

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   

999zxcv

sparklez

Jukiodone

en.wikipedia.org...

Venice is having a vote as we speak not a lot has been heard about that but a lot about the illegal ? vote on the Crimea

Under international law, there is nothing preventing a region from declaring independence.

If I am wrong, please show me where it FORBIDS people becomming independent? I have yet to find it. It may be against the local laws but not INTERNATIONAL LAW as I found.

Nobody can fight the power and will of the people, that is loonacy and doomed to failure, even Russia admited that in his speech on Crimea.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   

agreed ..majority rules ..end of!

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   

taoistguy

Meldionne1

taoistguy

Meldionne1
I don't get it? What would the wall do, Other than create jobs to build it?....I have a feeling some bad terrorist types have already moved into the cities. So you wouldn't be keeping them out, they are already there.

then by the same logic they are imprisoned. the wall works both ways! that's the genius of it.

It's not a prison if they can leave any time they want. It would be called a fortress. Wouldn't it?

there is a wall around the country remember. there would be secure checkpoints at the gates\entrances.
no, a fortress does not have a dome.

I didn't say a dome...someone else did...I was talking about a wall....and some one said that would also make them a prisoner...please read posts correctly.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Meldionne1

taoistguy

Meldionne1

taoistguy

Meldionne1
I don't get it? What would the wall do, Other than create jobs to build it?....I have a feeling some bad terrorist types have already moved into the cities. So you wouldn't be keeping them out, they are already there.

then by the same logic they are imprisoned. the wall works both ways! that's the genius of it.

It's not a prison if they can leave any time they want. It would be called a fortress. Wouldn't it?

there is a wall around the country remember. there would be secure checkpoints at the gates\entrances.

I didn't say a dome...someone else did...I was talking about a wall....and some one said that would also make them a prisoner...please read posts correctly.

A dome could be fun, imagine mooning through it.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   

sparklez

Meldionne1

taoistguy

Meldionne1

taoistguy

Meldionne1

there is a wall around the country remember. there would be secure checkpoints at the gatesentrances.

Reminds me of the tv show " the dome"... As long as you have your own biosphere you could survive.

edit on 18-3-2014 by Meldionne1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Meldionne1

sparklez

Meldionne1

taoistguy

Meldionne1

taoistguy

Meldionne1

there is a wall around the country remember. there would be secure checkpoints at the gatesentrances.

Reminds me of the tv show " the dome"... As long as you have your own biosphere you could survive.

Reminds me of The Simpsons.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

sparklez

Meldionne1

sparklez

Meldionne1

taoistguy

Meldionne1

taoistguy

Meldionne1

Reminds me of The Simpsons.

DOME DEPOT!

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
i never suggested the wall should be stone, (or brick), there are many more materials available. i'm talking technology here - and futurism\innovation. britain needs to establish itself as a leading player in the world of the future. and take the political initiative. afterall, knowledge is power!

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Would all the islands around Britain need a wall as well? Or just Great Britian? Only if we include the islands that'd increased the length of the wall from around 11,073 miles to 19,491 miles.

I suppose instead of brick or stone, we could use all the silt we need to dredge out of our rivers to reduce flooding?

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Don't give the French ideas, build a wall around the UK? then what? fill it with water????

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join