It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what would be the cause for this "obese" kid?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
we have all heard of and seen signs of the obesity "epidemic". there has been plenty of thought to the causes of it. things like overeating, junk food, fast food, sugar intake etc. some of us buy this, some of us don't. but i have to wonder about the cause in this particular case.

one of my relatives has a child, and as a lot of parents do they post lots of pictures of their offspring. well the other night a picture was posted of their child that about made me want to throw up (now i won't post a copy since the parents would likely kill me for "insulting" their kid). this child is grossly OBESE. they had a picture of their child without a shirt on, limbs are covered with rolls of fat, and the belly proportionally is larger than "Buddha's". seems to rather fit the term "obese" to me.

now here is the thing, they are young but they do try to be good parents and love, not neglect their child. but why is this child so "large"? could it happen to be genetics? the father is a large man, i mean huge, not just on the "overweight" side of things, but tall as well, his "hands" are about twice the size of my hands. the mother is rather skinny but i know her mother, sister, grandmother, great grandmother, great great grandmother etc all ran towards being "overweight". but nothing compared to how this child looks.

with both parents working or going to school they like many others serve her mainly "processed foods", yet the food is also supposed to be "healthy". they generally heat the food up in a microwave, as quite a few "busy" people do. they do i believe feed the kid some natural organic food but not all that much. is the processed food, or microwaving the food the issue?

now the child does not get things like junk food, restaurant food, sugary snacks, pop and the like so obviously that is not the issue. nor is the child on any medication, so that rules out that possibility.

so why is this child so obese?

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

generik
we have all heard of and seen signs of the obesity "epidemic". there has been plenty of thought to the causes of it. things like overeating, junk food, fast food, sugar intake etc. some of us buy this, some of us don't. but i have to wonder about the cause in this particular case.

one of my relatives has a child, and as a lot of parents do they post lots of pictures of their offspring. well the other night a picture was posted of their child that about made me want to throw up (now i won't post a copy since the parents would likely kill me for "insulting" their kid). this child is grossly OBESE. they had a picture of their child without a shirt on, limbs are covered with rolls of fat, and the belly proportionally is larger than "Buddha's". seems to rather fit the term "obese" to me.

now here is the thing, they are young but they do try to be good parents and love, not neglect their child. but why is this child so "large"? could it happen to be genetics? the father is a large man, i mean huge, not just on the "overweight" side of things, but tall as well, his "hands" are about twice the size of my hands. the mother is rather skinny but i know her mother, sister, grandmother, great grandmother, great great grandmother etc all ran towards being "overweight". but nothing compared to how this child looks.

with both parents working or going to school they like many others serve her mainly "processed foods", yet the food is also supposed to be "healthy". they generally heat the food up in a microwave, as quite a few "busy" people do. they do i believe feed the kid some natural organic food but not all that much. is the processed food, or microwaving the food the issue?

now the child does not get things like junk food, restaurant food, sugary snacks, pop and the like so obviously that is not the issue. nor is the child on any medication, so that rules out that possibility.

so why is this child so obese?

kids are not born obese.....if the kid was underfed he would be way skinny....my take on it would be too much sugar and processed food as well as a lack of exercise

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by generik

Processed foods are bad even the ones that are supposed to be good for you. You can eat organic snacks that will still be bad in large portions. Some may be genetics but my bet is that it's the processed foods and perhaps not enough physical activity. If her parents are really busy then chances are she spends a lot of time with the most convenient babysitter: TV.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by generik

with both parents working or going to school they like many others serve her mainly "processed foods", yet the food is also supposed to be "healthy".

IMO, the smoking gun.

The more 'processing' our food undergoes the less "healthy" it becomes?

Enriched, homogenized, pasteurized, etceteras.
Usually "processing" is undertaken at different stages to add all that other stuff on the label. Along with the over processing comes machinery which needs cleaning and disinfecting and all those toxins go right into the food, too.

The fat builds because the body does'nt know what to do with indigestible "crap". So it stores it.

ETA: redaction
edit on 17-3-2014 by intrptr because: deleted material

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
If its microwavable its contributing
if its a breakfast cereal
if it contains wheat or grain
If it contains refined sugar

Essentially.
Fatness is not a genetic trait.

It sounds like a grain issue, a lot of people have what is called wheat belly. Try the ketogenic diet, or recommend it. Eating a slice of bread is like drinking a can of coke. He may have a gluten allergy or something as well also contributing. There are certain diseases that do make people gain weight though. They are rare.
edit on 17/3/14 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
If you are a close friend, you can ask her if the child has been seen by a physician. Endocrine problems often cause gross obesity in children. It also could be caused by a rare brain tumor, like a Craniopharyngioma.

It is near impossible to eat a truly healthy meal in America anymore. If you don't raise it, grow it, prepare it and cook it yourself, it is full of chemical preservatives, artificial coloring and flavorings. Sometimes you aren't even eating what you think you are eating. Don't let those pretty pictures on the box fool you. By the time they finish packaging the products we buy, they don't even classify as a true food product. Any way you look at it, it is not the child's fault.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Could be many reasons like the gene mutation
gene mutation

There is common misunderstandings concerning artificial sweeteners that they are ok and do not make you fat. Those sweeteners pretty much enchanges carbs absorption from the meals and make you more hungry and thirsty earlier than you would normally be.
Processed food with trans fats can make you obese too ( and cause of other health problems ) and those are much used in food industry because its cheap.
There are a lot organic food scams out there so best choice is home cooked meals from basic ingredients. Less tv, computers and more outdoor activities.
edit on 17-3-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by generik

How old is the child? A rolly polly toddler was once consider the healthy child and was the average.

I have seen many chubby little ones grow up to be thin.

link   
The kids problem could possibly be attributed to pituitary or thyroid problems. They control metabolism, and if there is a shortage of necessary hormones, his metabolism and all bodily functions could cause morbid obesity. I suffered from an underactive thyroid a few years back, and despite being active and eating less than 1200 calories a day I ballooned from 125 to 350 lbs in just over two years. It was only after starting tyroid medication that I began to lose weight, eating the exact same things as I had been. Any reasonable endocrinologist should be able to disagonse such a problem with a simple TSH/T3/T4 test using a simple blood sample.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Even as a young child, a human can become grossly overweight.
Genetics? I doubt it. Unless the child has absolutely zero metabolic rate, which could be a problem. That can be diagnosed with a doctors exam and blood work. I'd be safe betting it is more like a learned behavior....

No matter what excuse is given, it is a simple problem. Calories in, calories out. If the child isn't very active or somewhat lethargic than he or she shouldn't consume a ton of calories. "Healthy" food or otherwise. The child still needs to become playful and active at any age or it's body will store fat like an adult. Teaching a child to snack on fruits and vegetables with water, instead of prepackaged foods, lunchables and juices. That's a huge start. Good luck breaking a spoiled child of those habits, though.

The problem with today's parents, and this will be a slight rant, is that they don't have "time" to properly feed themselves or their children. Too busy with their scheduled lives and jobs to even remotely care about the most important thing that should be recognized...their body. Too busy to gather in the kitchen and cook food properly with meats, vegetables and fruits. Instead they rely on packaged foods labelled "healthy" because it fits their lifestyle. Anything that costs companies millions of dollars to market to a particular type of consumer is NOT good for you. Even if the label says "fat free" or "only 100 calories". I say it's a bunch of bollocks. People have time to sit on their collective fat butts and watch TV or surf the 'net but they don't have time to make wholesome foods? It is a problem and it shows.

Not everyone is like this, thankfully.
Maybe they can serve as examples to those who rush around too much.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I hope he's not suffering from juvenile diabetes. To be hit with such a life-altering illness as such a young age is heart breaking. At the very least, the child's parents ought to take him to a pediatrician for the sake of his health.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

Not likely juvenile diabetes its so called type 1 and kids with that are usually skinny and need insulin for every meal or they die if not treated carefully. She might have type 2 which is common among the obese people.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
My son went through a "buddah" stage at about 6 months almost immediately after he stopped breastfeeding and go on regular formula. Turned out he had an allergy to something that was in the formula. This was 24 years ago and I was not as vigilant as I am these days about what is in things plus a new parent who stupidly trusted the pediatricians's advice but got much smarter immediately thereafter. We switched to a rice-based one and he got back to normal pretty fast.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
There are so many things wrong with the food nowadays that it is hard to know what is causing this problem. It could be something like an endocrine disruptor or too many goitinogenic foods. Processed food contains lots of attractant and happy chemicals that cause problems with the sensors on the cells which leads to insulin resistance. This chemistry has actually increased in foods over the last fifteen years. Even the chemicals they treat organics with to slow oxidation can cause this. It doesn't matter if these chemicals are certified organic or chemical, lots of organic chemistry is bad for us.

I wouldn't know where to start. People add attractant chemistry to homemade food, it's in broths used to make meals. It's in the sauces and marinades. We have been conditioned to like this chemistry over the years.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Char-Lee
reply to post by generik

How old is the child? A rolly polly toddler was once consider the healthy child and was the average.

I have seen many chubby little ones grow up to be thin.

oh i understand about "chubby" kids, have seem many in my life, but this one is far beyond any "chubbiness" i have ever seen. chubby kids are still cute, but this one just looks gross, and has caused me no end of worry since i saw the picture.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
some very interesting ideas. and it definitely is NOT lack of exercise. you see there was something i left out. the child in question is only 2 months old, which is one of my concerns about this already being an issue. especially when all a child of this age "eats" is milk or formula", ruling out most of the other proposed causes of obesity. could still be a "gland" issue of some sort, but i would think it would still be a little early for that to show on such a massive scale.

~Lucidity
My son went through a "buddah" stage at about 6 months almost immediately after he stopped breastfeeding and go on regular formula. Turned out he had an allergy to something that was in the formula. This was 24 years ago and I was not as vigilant as I am these days about what is in things plus a new parent who stupidly trusted the pediatricians's advice but got much smarter immediately thereafter. We switched to a rice-based one and he got back to normal pretty fast.

thank you VERY MUCH. you may have just hit the nail on the head. as the "processed food" they eat is baby formula, while the "organic" is breast milk. the mother really can't do much breast feeding due to being in school, leaving her husband to provide care during the day, while she takes night duty while he works. not to mention of course that she was as per norm advised "formula is better", and yup being a new mommy she wants to do everything that is best for the child. it makes even more sense to me since the mother has always suffered some mystery issue with foods making her sick, that they have never been able to figure out.

tell me did your child also suffer from "reflex problems"? that is a new thing i just found out about. the Dr's advice for it was "feed sitting up, burp every half oz, stay sitting up for at least 20 mins after eating".

now the trick is to find a way to make the suggestion to switch to rice based formula, somehow without insinuating that that her child is "rather overlarge", has a problem or that she is doing something wrong. new parents can be so touchy if you don't think their baby is perfect.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Oh, I didn't realize the child was an infant. Completely different picture.

It's not uncommon for some babies to be on the chubby side. Some may even appear to be obese in comparison to other babies, but for the most part it's just a "stage" until they become mobile. Once a baby starts moving around a room on their own, the baby fat starts to even out a bit.

Has he started crawling, walking or running yet?

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
FAT comes from calories.

I didnt read the whole post, but it seems the kid is not active on top of everything else. More activity = more metabolism = more calories burned (instead of stored as fat).

Almost everyone who is fat/obese claims they hardly eat, in my experience.

=D

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Yup, our family are all thin but one of my kids would go michelin man right before each growth spurt but not before I worried, worked on better diets, forced excercise. Then magically he'd thin out again.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
1 in 10,000 individuals have a metabolic or hormone disorder that causes obesity. But a lot of the weight is edema ( intra-cellular and extra cellular fluid ). Not actual body fat.

A body composition test will show this to be the case. If it is not treated with drugs, the person will die.

The only way new fat can be formed inside a fat cell is through excess energy being delivered into the system ( generally food ). But some people metabolism is so slow, this threshold can be crossed easily with only one extra meal a day the body does not need.

So morbid obesity can be produced a lot easier than some people think. aka... it might not seem to be "over eating" . But it is.

Note: Most people are born and die with the same amount of fat cells. But forced over eating can produce new fat cells at about the age of 11 - 13. In which case they will fight it their entire lives.

( if this is the case. It is just a simple case of bad parenting )

edit on 11/19/09 by thedeadtruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/19/09 by thedeadtruth because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join