It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guinness Opts Out of NYC’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade Over Anti-Gay Policy

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

ChaosEpsilon
reply to post by buster2010

www.behaviorismandmentalhealth.com...
I'm sure there are a lot of these. I'm not giving you hard proof because obviously it doesn't exist. You could say that psychopathy isn't a mental illness because there's no concrete evidence of it.

What the article is saying is that essentially homosexuality was professionally labeled as a mental illness, then a bunch of mentally ill people came and said they weren't mentally ill, so the APA removed it because they were being loud.

What’s noteworthy about this is that the removal of homosexuality from the list of mental illnesses was not triggered by some scientific breakthrough. There was no new fact or set of facts that stimulated this major change. Rather, it was the simple reality that gay people started to kick up a fuss.

You are completely correct on this one! There was a lot of bullying that took place to have it removed, along with all the noise.

As for the parade, it's a St. Patrick's Day parade, not one to flaunt one's immoral status. Why should parents who take their children to this parade be subjected to nearly unclothed people behaving in a manner that would get anyone else arrested? Anyone that has ever seen a clip of, or photos of, the GP parades knows what I mean! It's beyond obnoxious to try and force such a thing on everyone around you, and claim you are being "picked on" if someone tells you no!

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

Couldn't agree more, we should hang draw and quarter them all otherwise our kids might get the big gay plague, AIDS!

None of us straight people would dream of getting drunk and inappropriate on St Paddy's,...ever. Only the gays do that kind of thing.

Kids need to be where they're safest - alone with priests. It's what god would have wanted (before he turned stray).

Seriously you people are an embarrassment to humanity. Where do you even find this homophobic drivel and more distubingly why are you so criminally thick you agree and regurgitate it.
edit on 19-3-2014 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by bastion

Yes gay people are an embarrassment to humanity. Immoral and Godless.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

Can't tell if you're being sarky or not - up until now you at least raised some interesting thinking points and not complete drivel like some other posters.

If you're being serious then thanks for confirming my suspicions.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by bastion

Sorry, yes that was sarcasm.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Fair play, sincere and humble apologies for lumping you in with the other crowd.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by bastion

No worries. Any answers for me yet ?

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

markosity1973
reply to post by GrimReaper86

Quite simply;

EVERY parade (other than the gay only ones of course) is a straight parade.

HELLO, straight people are the ones running and participating in them....

Ridiculous! Most parades are not about sexuality at all, and calling them "straight parades" is flat out nonsense. Ordinary people don't feel some need to go around telling the world about their sexuality.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Still waiting for you to rephrase the question as I don't understand it in its current form as one is consensual with a proven genetic link and the others aren't.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

There's really no difference between homosexuals insisting on participating in the St. Patty's parade and churches insisting on having services in public schools. I don't see what's so difficult to grasp about keeping peas with the peas and carrots with the carrots. Mixed veggies are all well and good, but save it for the bag marked "mixed veggies". It's not complicated, honestly.

That's not the same thing at all. If a church rents out space in a school building, it's done when school is NOT in session, not during school hours. That isn't anything like a particular group wanting to change a parade for one thing into a parade for something else. You aren't comparing apples and oranges here, even, but apples and rocks.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

bastion
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

Couldn't agree more, we should hang draw and quarter them all otherwise our kids might get the big gay plague, AIDS!

None of us straight people would dream of getting drunk and inappropriate on St Paddy's,...ever. Only the gays do that kind of thing.

Kids need to be where they're safest - alone with priests. It's what god would have wanted (before he turned stray).

Seriously you people are an embarrassment to humanity. Where do you even find this homophobic drivel and more distubingly why are you so criminally thick you agree and regurgitate it.

Being obnoxious only proves my point. This isn't about people that might act inappropriately while attending the parade, but about people who are complaining because they weren't allowed to act inappropriately as part of the parade. Get it yet? Of course you do; you simply choose to be rude and insulting because anyone dares to disagree with you. Calling someone names for expressing their opinion is bigotry of the highest sort. Nice job demonstrating my point for me. Because I dared to disagree with you, I must be:

1. in support of pedophiles (your lame comment about priests). FYI, I am not Catholic.
2. an embarrassment to humanity - because I disagree with you? Bigoted much? Don't approve of free speech?
3. "homophobic" - not even a real thing; just something made up to try and shut down any and all opposition. News flash - one can not agree with a thing without having a "phobia" about it. Get over yourself.
4. criminal - Criminal? Really? because I disagreed with you? Grow up.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Christian Voice
reply to post by markosity1973

*snip*
I am a man and am happily married to a woman and have never ever gone to the mall and made out with her like that. Time and place.
Those two guys were very obviously gay but had they not done what they had done I would have never said a word to them. They were looking to incite an altercation and were about to bite off more than they could chew.

If you did, you and she would be arrested for the behavior. I have to wonder why those two were not!

bastion

I already answered it, consent is the difference.

Also if you'd read my post you'd know one of the genes that carries homosexuality hence it's largely genetic.

Now do you see why it's not always a choice?

Oh, really? Where is that gene, exactly? No such thing has ever been proven, at all.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to All the posts by the gay bashers who have just shown up

Firstly, the subject of this thread is gay participation in the St Patrick's day parade, not your opinion on homosexuality.

Secondly, I'm going to address all of you in one post so that we can return to the subject at hand.

Let's start with mental illness;

Here is the standard definition used by the Western Australian government. The definitions are all the same, just worded slightly differently;

What is mental illness? A mental illness is a health problem that significantly affects how a person thinks, behaves and interacts with other people. It is diagnosed according to standardised criteria.

Mental health WA

As you can see, a mental illness has a quite broad definition. The way some of you are interacting at the moment could easily be classified in this criteria because the way you think and act significantly impacts on the way you interact with gay people.

Now, on to gay being a mental illness.

Here is a brief synopsis of my life;

I hold down a steady job
I have won 2 state and 1 national awards for being the best at my job
I have great friends
I have a family that I get along with
I have been in a monogamous relationship for the past 8 years
I own a new car
I own a cat
I live in a decent neighbourhood and get on with my neighbours
I like the outdoors and go camping a lot
I like offroad driving
I like working on the farm when I get a chance

and despite all of this I am gay.

Tell me where in all of that list does being gay affect my behaviour or my ability to interact with other people in a negative way?

Gay was declassified as a mental illness long ago, because it does not impede one's ability to live a full and happy life and it does not affect behaviour in a negative way. What we do in our bedrooms is consensual and quite frankly none of your damned business. I'm just one of millions of people who are living proof of that.

As for the OP subject of gay participation in the St Paddy's parade;

It's archaic attitudes like the ones being displayed here in this thread that seek to hold us back. I've shown photographic evidence that in the Charlotte parade there was no nudity, no vulgarity, no offensive slogans. It was just a band with a small banner with the word pride on it and the rainbow flag.

I ask again;

-how is that offensive?
-Why can't you understand that displaying our gay is not always sexual?
-Get that we are happy to follow rules, but when you say we can't say we are gay it is akin to banning saying you are Christian?

edit on 19-3-2014 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

LadyGreenEyes

Oh, really? Where is that gene, exactly? No such thing has ever been proven, at all.

Except when it has been.

The study found that gay men shared genetic signatures on part of the X chromosome - Xq28.

Dr Bailey said: “Sexual orientation has nothing to do with choice. Our findings suggest there may be genes at play – we found evidence for two sets that affect whether a man is gay or straight. “But it is not completely determinative; there are certainly other environmental factors involved. “The study shows that there are genes involved in male sexual orientation.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

"These results support a prenatal origin to sexual orientation development in men." He suggests the effect is probably the result of a "maternal memory" in the womb for male births. A woman's body may see a male foetus as "foreign", he says, prompting an immune reaction which may grow progressively stronger with each male child.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Evidence of that, said Michael Bailey, a professor of psychology at Northwestern University in Illinois, comes from studies of genetically male infants born with malformed or ambiguous genitals. In many such cases, surgeons would construct a vagina, and instruct parents to raise the child as a girl, with no knowledge of his medical history. As adults, those prenatally male/postnatally female people were virtually all attracted to women, Bailey said. "If you can't make a male attracted to other males by cutting off his penis, castrating him and rearing him as a girl, then how likely is any social explanation of male homosexuality?" he said.

www.theguardian.com...

Also how is marching behind a little rainbow flag and maybe even a banner, as happens in most other St Paddy's/general marches 'inappropriate behavior'? All the claims you made up are groundless scare mongering and borderline hate speech.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

You still cannot see the forest for all of the trees. Again if they felt so strong about marching in the parade then why not march as people instead of "gay" people ? Why did they insist on displaying their gay pride at that particular parade ?Because they were not concerned at all with the St. Patricks Day Parade. They had another agenda entirely in mind.
Same situation as with the BSA. The BSA was a Christian organization, you had to take an oath to God, learn Christian principles and all but homosexuals insisted on not being just boy scouts, but gay boy scouts. Why not start their own troop ? One that holds true to their own ideals instead of confiscating someone else's group ? I ran a troop for 12 years and I assure you if they had intended on just being Boy Scouts instead of proclaiming their sexuality (which a dang 11 year old boy has no business proclaiming to begin with) there would have never had been a problem. If the gay people had just left their sexual lifestyle in the bedroom in that particular instance then I believe there would have been no problem at all.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by bastion

It has never ever been PROVEN despite what you or others think. They have claimed to have found evidence that might suggest there is a gay gene. Any "scientific" source that claims proof positive is obviously biased and lying. Even if there were a gene that somehow leaned someone towards the same sex (which in itself is absurd), what would that mean ? When I was in the Air Force there were black guys that were told they had the Sickle Cell gene, but not the disease itself. Just because there may possibly be a gene there who is to say if it will ever manifest itself and even if it does it is still a conscious decision to act on it.

I am still waiting on answers to my questions that everyone has refused to answer

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by bastion

There was nothing bigoted about what I said, nor was it a stereotype. I never said all gay people do that, I said their public parades look like a freak show. Not exactly the best way to gain "acceptance".

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Quite simply;

If we are going to go down that path, then why not ban all banners and all displays? Let's just have a parade with none whatsoever then. In fact, let's ban everything other than an effigy of St Patrick from the parade because the parade is entitled St Patricks parade.

How do we have freedom of speech when you have double standards that see a rule applied to one group of people and not everyone else?

We can still adhere rules like no sexual displays, no nudity, no vulgarity, no political slogans. The picture of the band in Charlotte is proof of that and I am still waiting to hear why it is offensive.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Nobody is having a double standard. Damn!!! All we are saying is there is a time and place for everything and you continue to say that every time and every place is appropriate for sexuality. I'm saying there are times to just leave it in the damn bedroom.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

oh gurl...

i'll hope that was a hyperbolic sarcastic statement.. if not i would reconsider who the embarrassment is to humanity

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join