It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guinness Opts Out of NYC’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade Over Anti-Gay Policy

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

ChaosEpsilon
Homosexuality is a mental illness. It's fine to have one but not right to parade a mental illness around and show it off to people like it's the most normal thing in the world. Guinness is free to do what they want, but it won't stop me from thinking they're ridiculous.

You have a mental illness, or just plain uneducated or ignorant.
Have a great life, you sound wonderful x

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by GrimReaper86

Quite simply;

EVERY parade (other than the gay only ones of course) is a straight parade.

HELLO, straight people are the ones running and participating in them....

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by markosity1973

Except the gay pride parade right?

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

ChaosEpsilon
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Hm? I was saying that you can't prove that any mental illness is a mental illness. Mental illnesses are defined as such by professionals, psychiatrists, researchers, etc. When he asked for proof or evidence, I thought he was attempting to catch me in that kind of trap...

Was I mistaken?

Also, people like to use the word homophobic, but I think labeling someone as becoming extremely anxious around homosexual people just because they don't approve of the idea of homosexuality is a bit much.

reply to post by boymonkey74

You're saying it's normal for animals or even people to desire their own gender? People aside, homosexuality has been seen in animal communities, but it's not widely out there. Only a few animals show this illness.

Ok i was amazed by your ignorance, unless you have been brainwashed by religion (in which case i actually forgive you)
But i just noticed these are your 1st posts so....

Bye bye troll, you won't get away with this nonsense on here.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Hellooooo, straight people are not flaunting their sexuality in them. Again, why does their sexual preferences have to be brought into the equation at all ? Why can't they just march as people and leave their sexual preferences at home ? Why do they have to be gay people ? I am a Veteran and I have been in a few Veterans parades and I did not march as a straight person, I marched as a Veteran.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
One of the many famous Guinness adverts....

Just saying....make of it what you will.....

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   

GrimReaper86

I kinda already said that. But I'll let you in on a dirty little secret;

There are some straight people who take part in gay parades. They are the ones who are so comfortable with themselves that they see no concern in being associated with the gay community. There are groups like mothers of gay sons etc that march in the parades. I've even met the odd straight marchong boy. These types are the sort that loves themselves and their bodies and revel in attention, no matter where it comes from.

So, you see we are accepting of straight people in our own community. It's the straight communnity who has a problem with us, not the other way round.
edit on 17-3-2014 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

Does a pride parade interfere with your life? are you forced to attend?

and what is your definition of flaunting? did you know many Straight people attend are they flaunting their Straight Homosexuality?

so many people bring up the same recycled arguments when it comes to Homosexuals the Pride Parades, "Flaunting" our homosexuality and "Mental Disorder" and yet it gets hypocritical

you walked in a Veteran Parade and you were a Veteran so were you flaunting it?

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Christian Voice

Hellooooo, straight people are not flaunting their sexuality in them. Again, why does their sexual preferences have to be brought into the equation at all ? Why can't they just march as people and leave their sexual preferences at home ? Why do they have to be gay people ? I am a Veteran and I have been in a few Veterans parades and I did not march as a straight person, I marched as a Veteran.

You actually have a very good point, and I respect your post, your diplomacy and the fact you are a veteran.

I guess all I can add, is that they parade and flaunt themselves because they have had years of persecution and hate, and they just want to be free and treated as equals. Yes there are probably better ways, but I'm sure they've all been tried?
Anyway one thing i can GUARANTEE you is, if you attended one of these parades and showed warmth or friendliness to any single person?? You would get back all the warmth, respect and smiles you will ever need.

They are not there to confront, try taking to one and you'll see.

And for the record, I'm not into all the bells, feathers and campness at all, i agree it's over the top. I just like meeting 'real' people with big hearts who just want to be happy.

I appreciated your post very much

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Christian Voice

Umm, oh heck, let me just post a YT vid. I present the TOP 10 sex festivals in the world. Only ONE of them is exclusively gay...

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

edit on 17-3-2014 by LadySkadi because:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I starred you post because 1) I totally agreed, and 2) because you copy and pasted twice by accident, which drilled your point home even more. 2 stars if i could!

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

markosity1973

Christian Voice

Umm, oh heck, let me just post a YT vid. I present the TOP 10 sex festivals in the world. Only ONE of them is exclusively gay...

Oooh you're 10 steps ahead of me! I was busy appreciating Christian voices diplomacy, when in fact you have a bloody good point! !

To be honest i don't mind chatting to people who just 'openly' don't understand Homosexuality. But if you start telling me is an illness, then your in trouble. Because scientifically, and through personal irrefutable experiences, i KNOW it's not.
edit on 17/3/14 by OpenEars123 because: My fingers are like tiny little sausages with their own agenda

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Christian voice does have a good point and I applaud him for his diplomacy. Thing is though that there are gay servicemen and they do take part in vet parades. They just keep their sexuality hidden in respect of everyone else. And there are times where I agree where it may be more appropriate for this to happen.

However, this argument that there are no straight parades and straight people don't flaunt their sexuality in them is false.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

markosity1973
Christian voice does have a good point and I applaud him for his diplomacy. Thing is though that there are gay servicemen and they do take part in vet parades. They just keep their sexuality hidden in respect of everyone else. And there are times where I agree where it may be more appropriate for this to happen.

However, this argument that there are no straight parades and straight people don't flaunt their sexuality in them is false.

Glad we're on the same page here as Christian voice, and more glad he's asking good questions instead of displaying ignorance.

I guess they have to flaunt it as i said before, due to the ignorance and hate they've received beforehand.
Every person in that parade would be happy to hug a stranger and say thank you with all their heart.. That's not such a bad thing is it???

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   

markosity1973

GrimReaper86

So, you see we are accepting of straight people in our own community. It's the straight communnity who has a problem with us, not the other way round.

I rarely call anyone out but I wonder would you say the same if the Straight men and women were holding signs stating they are proud to be straight during your gay pride parade? Would the gay men and women who march in the gay parades allow others with different agendas to push their acceptance and ideas as well? Would you allow the Westboro Baptist church to march with their signs? No, you wouldn't and why would you? The gay pride parade is for gays and their pride and their supporters, St Patty's day is for St Patrick and his pride and their supporters.

You see a majority of the population (myself included) is ready and willing to acknowledge your rights to be gay and live without condemnation but somethings simply have nothing to do with being gay. As in this march, gay men and women had and have no business making anything but the gay pride parade theirs.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by brandiwine14

Well said i like it. There's no point in 'straight' parades, because no amount of people have ever been persecuted for being staight.
It's a bit like apples and orange to me.
Nice post

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by brandiwine14

Quite simply, there is an enormous difference between support and provocation. We'll accept and support any straight person that does not judge or attack us.

As I have just shown in my previous post, I have the fortitude to applaud and agree to a point with someone who is opposed to the gay community as he does have a good point in relevant context.

*edit* I would also ask you, why can't a gay person support St Patty as a gay person? St Patrick's day is actually a catholic thing as it is his 'Saints day' and celebrates the somewhat dubious legend that he drove all the snakes out of Ireland.

Theoretically, if we really want to call this one out we could say that only the church has the right to this day. But we don't.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Look, all I'm saying is why does any form of sexuality have to be involved in these types of things. Gay pride parades are about gay pride, so I get that, gay people displaying their sexuality is an expected behavior at that type of parade. The examples you used for heterosexuals flaunting their sexuality is not anywhere near what I was driving at. My issue is why turn everything sexual, gay or straight ? People are gay, I get that. I do not personally agree but I get it. But why make everything sexual at all ? That is not the sum of the gay person I hope. I hope there is much more to them than just sexuality. My point about the Veterans parade is I marched as a Veteran, not as a heterosexual. My sexuality does not define me. I am far more than my sexuality. I do not bring it into my son's school, or to the mall, or into Veteran's parades, or into anything else outside the privacy of my bedroom. I do not even discuss my sexuality with my closest of friends, it's none of their business. If you are gay or anyone else is for that matter, do you wish to be defined merely by your sexual preferences ? That is what I'm driving at.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

The gay men and women of United States America need to realize that they are pushing their supporters away by making everything about them (as you just tried to do). The committee allowed gay men and women to march along side with them in the parade, they chose not to because they were not allowed to make it about them.

You are losing your supporters.

Being gay has nothing to do with St Patrick, nothing at all, being a straight venomous being has nothing to do with being gay so again I ask would you march next to someone from Westboro?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join