It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin signs order to recognize Crimea as a sovereign independent state

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
To those of you who are having a Putin Party over Crimea,
I have one thing to say to you.

I hope you still feel like partying when the tanks role into Poland or the Baltic
States.

Oh it's ok .. I know there are a few Russian speakers in Poland.. Hell
Angela Merkel speaks Russian.. Send the tanks to Germany..

Disgraceful
edit on Mon, 17 Mar 2014 14:47:29 -0500472America/ChicagoMonday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

rigel4

I hope you still feel like partying when the tanks role into Poland or the Baltic
States.

Oh it's ok .. I know there are few Russian speakers in Poland.. Hell
Angela Merkel speaks Russian.. Sent the tanks to Germany..

Disgraceful

Nice hyperbole and drama.

Considering Poland is an EU member state AND a member of NATO. That is very unlikely to happen.

You have lost touch with reality.
edit on 17-3-2014 by shappy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Already anticipated, free country or not Crimea will join Russia.
EU turn to grab the other half of Ukraine.
Now its Europe turn to move the chess piece. I can already see the future movement, hopefully they wont make another wall like Berlin.

edit on 17-3-2014 by NullVoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

shappy

rigel4

States.

Disgraceful

Considering Poland is an EU member state AND a member of NATO. That is very unlikely to happen.

So we come to the truth...Putin is too scared to come into direct confrontation with NATO? Instead, he picks on a country undergoing a revolution, which is wholly incapable of mounting a proper military response to an illegal invasion. I would agree with you, though. Putin knows that his military would be shredded to pieces, in a NATO vs. Russia conventional war over Ukraine.

It's the same end every tyrant gets, as the entire world ends up turning on you. Putin knows that, it's why he picks on non-EU, and non-NATO states. Georgia, Ukraine...who is next? It's really too bad that he can't pick on little Estonia, and Latvia. Those are the kind of tiny nations that Russia would love to bully next...
edit on 17-3-2014 by Catacomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

shappy
And in 2 years Crimea will be officailly recognised by the UN as an independent country. Just like Kosov was.

Except the circumstances for Kosovo's creation are totally different from this farce. Crimea is a part of a sovereign state i.e. Ukraine.

I do not think that Russia will get away so easily with this stunt. History repeating. No appeasement.

Regards

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Well so far they have got away with all of it. Obviously Putin isn't taking the U.S, or anyone, seriously. He did what he wanted and has had no repercussions.

-SAP-

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Catacomb

shappy

rigel4

States.

Disgraceful

So we come to the truth...Putin is too scared to come into direct confrontation with NATO? Instead, he picks on a country undergoing a revolution, which is wholly incapable of mounting a proper military response to an illegal invasion. I would agree with you, though. Putin knows that his military would be shredded to pieces, in a NATO vs. Russia conventional war over Ukraine.

It's the same end every tyrant gets, as the entire world ends up turning on you. Putin knows that, it's why he picks on non-EU, and non-NATO states. Georgia, Ukraine...who is next? It's really too bad that he can't pick on little Estonia, and Latvia. Those are the kind of tiny nations that Russia would love to bully next...
edit on 17-3-2014 by Catacomb because: (no reason given)

The reason he is not confronting NATO directly is common sense, the man is not stupid, we all know if NATO and Russia go head to head, we are in deep shat and the only way is DOWN, and no we cannot dig our way to China to get out of that hole.

The powershift and economic shift is moving Eastward, even, very wealthy financial people know this and are investing in China and the East big time. They know the West is an economic sunk ship. That is why China is biding it's time, heck they have done their own thing for thousands of years and that will not change now lol. Same for Russia, and BRICs nations, they just have to sit it out and bide their time waiting for the economic power shift going their way.

I watched a video on this very thing, it is an eye opener but I cannot find the link.

Nato is the one pushing east towards encircling Russia, Russia is not heading west towards NATO, and definatly not at the rate NATO is expanding. A lot of this is frogs in boiling water, but I totally disagree with NATO expansionism, even my country is not wanting to be part of NATO, primarly because we are a neutral country and joining would jeoperdise that neutrality. Big no no.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

President Vladimir Putin has signed an order that Russia recognizes Crimea as a sovereign and independent state.

"Independent" might take some convincing. Foreign Policy Mag quoting the WSJ this morning.....
"Crimea, despite its vote to join Russia, remains reliant on Ukraine for 70 percent of its water and 90 percent of its electricity."

So it's like if a 12yo living in your house voted to join Russia.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Except the circumstances for Kosovo's creation are totally different from this farce. Crimea is a part of a sovereign state i.e. Ukraine.

Kosovo too was a part of a sovereign state.
Get your facts straight.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

hexillion

President Vladimir Putin has signed an order that Russia recognizes Crimea as a sovereign and independent state.

"Independent" might take some convincing. Foreign Policy Mag quoting the WSJ this morning.....
"Crimea, despite its vote to join Russia, remains reliant on Ukraine for 70 percent of its water and 90 percent of its electricity."

So it's like if a 12yo living in your house voted to join Russia.

Not to worry, Russia will cover Crimeas needs.

Why do you think Russia built the northern pipe and now the southern pipe, so they can get rid of Ukraine's bad debtors, Ukraine has not paid their bills in almost 2 years, once they pay their dues, Ukraine is being CUT just as a bad paying customer should.

Europe will still get their gas needs, via the Northern pipe and southern pipe.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

shappy

masqua
What a marvellous precedent!

Now France can waltz into Canada with troops and take over Quebec to 'protect' French Canadians or the Chinese can invade British Columbia to 'protect' Chinese Canadians! How about the Russians invading Alberta for all those Ukrainians who live there? Come to think of it, since the Americas are full of Europeans, we're all susceptible. Yeee-haw!!

To make matters even more interesting, it works for everyone everywhere because people emigrate to all kinds of countries. Oh, the fun governments can have with this. Conscription for every male between 18 and 65 in every country... let's invade!

The precedent was already set by Kosov and others prior to this.

Kosovo was a precedent but Crimea a special case. It has been part of Russia for hundreds of years and when USSR suddenly broke off over one evening, many issues were left unsolved and Crimea was one of them.

Russia has only taken back the territory that belonged to its history. 96.7% in agreement shows that it is more than welcome to Crimea people.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

victor7

shappy

masqua

Now France can waltz into Canada with troops and take over Quebec to 'protect' French Canadians or the Chinese can invade British Columbia to 'protect' Chinese Canadians! How about the Russians invading Alberta for all those Ukrainians who live there? Come to think of it, since the Americas are full of Europeans, we're all susceptible. Yeee-haw!!

To make matters even more interesting, it works for everyone everywhere because people emigrate to all kinds of countries. Oh, the fun governments can have with this. Conscription for every male between 18 and 65 in every country... let's invade!

The precedent was already set by Kosov and others prior to this.

Kosovo was a precedent but Crimea a special case. It has been part of Russia for hundreds of years and when USSR suddenly broke off over one evening, many issues were left unsolved and Crimea was one of them.

Russia has only taken back the territory that belonged to its history. 96.7% in agreement shows that it is more than welcome to Crimea people.

Every case is special.

Crimea has changed hands so many times in history.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

shappy
Why do you think Russia built the northern pipe and now the southern pipe, so they can get rid of Ukraine's bad debtors, Ukraine has not paid their bills in almost 2 years, once they pay their dues, Ukraine is being CUT just as a bad paying customer should.

That would be some economic strategy, consistent with Russia's tactic of cutting supplies as a way to exert influence, that doesn't have much bearing on the fact that Russia's interest here is to reclaim the Ukraine, not exclude it.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

masqua

Did you miss the part where the neo-nazis took over the capital and putsched the elected ruler out? I think that may tilt your theory a bit.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
The wrong move is for Russia to get involved so obnoxiously. They should stand back. If Ukrainian police and military forces are implementing draconian anti-protest laws and shooting down pro-russia supporters in the southeast Ukraine (including Crimea) then Russia will have its excuse to intervene. What Russia is doing now is trampling on the sovereignty of Ukraine, not even giving it a chance to work out its divisions on its own. It's clear why Russia wants to do this: They want Crimea. Unfortunately, they'll pay dearly for their aggressiveness.

My prediction is Russia will vote not to annex Crimea, but will support Crimea being an independent state. This might allow them to dodge sanctions. Behind the scenes they will negotiate trade and military treaties. If pro-russia unrest and protesting builds, Russia will smuggle arms and funding into Crimea. If the violence continues to grow, Russia will find a way to intervene. They won't want the western powers winning in the Ukraine, so close to the heart of Russia.
edit on 17-3-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

jonnywhite
The wrong move is for Russia to get involved so aggressively. They should stand back. If Ukrainian police and military forces are implementing draconian anti-protest laws and shooting down pro-russia supporters in the southeast Ukraine (including Crimea) then Russia will have its excuse to intervene. What Russia is doing now is trampling on the sovereignty of Ukraine, not even giving it a chance to work out its divisions on its own. It's clear why Russia wants to do this: They want Crimea. Unfortunately, they'll pay dearly for their aggressiveness.
edit on 17-3-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

I wish my country trampled on my rights by giving me referrendums. So far all I get is democracy and no referrendums.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Hrm...

I wonder what the new Republic's postage stamp is gonna look like...

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Terminal1

Hammer and sickle?

Lolz.

-SAP-

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

SloAnPainful
reply to post by Terminal1

Hammer and sickle?

Lolz.

-SAP-

That is the Soviet Union flag. The USSR changed into the CIS which then became the Russian Federation / Russian Commonwealth.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Now Putin isn't screwing around.....

Putin is set to respond to Obama's sanctions of Russian officials with his own list. Several U.S. Senators and officials will be banned from visiting Russia, including Sen. Dick Durbin.

U.S. senators, congressmen and top Obama administration officials are sure to be on Vladimir Putin’s sanctions list; a response to the Obama Administration’s announcement on Monday that 7 Russian officials and 4 Ukrainian officials would be barred from holding assets or traveling to the United States.

Russia Will Sanction U.S. Senators

He means B-u-s-i-n-e-s-s
LOL

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join