It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texans Attack ‘Muslim Weather’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

The use of the Arabic word for wind created a tornado amongst bigots on Facebook, but for every Negative Nancy there were 10 Tolerant Toms, which is something to be proud of as America continues the fight against racisim.

If I say the word “haboob,” are you outraged? Does that word make you want to post angry comments on Facebook? If not, then apparently you aren't from Texas.

The term “Haboob” is the Arabic word for wind—try saying it a few times, it’s fun!—and American meteorologists have been using it since the 1950’s to describe a huge sandstorm. Most recently, however, the word inspired a mini-firestorm.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.thedailybeast.com...

Once again Texan's (and intolerant people all across the nation) have shamed this country with their ignorance. Western culture has derived a lot of things from the middle east including our Numbers.

Yes, a meteorological term for "wind" has apparently pissed off some Texans. Probably prompting several to issue impotent threats of secession from the union.

So please, if you are offended by everything middle eastern, please help us identify you as the bigot you are by using only roman numerals from now on. (it would really help the rest of us out that way we can avoid you altogether)

Yes, Texas, the shame of our nation, once again raises it's head in ignorant unfounded xenophobia.

edit on 17-3-2014 by HauntWok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

Shame of our nation? No! I live in Texas! it is pretty! Just say "some" Texans

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Casualboy100

I understand that many Texan's aren't total bigoted racists. But a few good apples doesn't save this bunch. Unfortunately like how bigoted racists shoehorn all people of other (religions/races) into the same mold as the bad apples, we must shoehorn all Texan's into that same mold.

Is it fair and just? Yes, yes it is. Until Texan's themselves come around and completely marginalize these people, ostracize them, and shame them into the closet where they belong, this must be the worldview of Texas in general.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Generalizing much?
Sheesh
And don't forget that we are all gun nuts named Billy Bob and ride our horsies to work.
Californians are all granola munching airheads
Everyone from Chicago is a mafioso
Everyone from NY is rude
Blahblahblah

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

HauntWok
reply to post by Casualboy100

I understand that many Texan's aren't total bigoted racists. But a few good apples doesn't save this bunch. Unfortunately like how bigoted racists shoehorn all people of other (religions/races) into the same mold as the bad apples, we must shoehorn all Texan's into that same mold.

Is it fair and just? Yes, yes it is. Until Texan's themselves come around and completely marginalize these people, ostracize them, and shame them into the closet where they belong, this must be the worldview of Texas in general.

Haunt. Havent I always been cordial and to the best of my ability polite with everyone?

Im am going to ask you nicely. Leave my state alone. We don't want this hate/divisive crap here, its not welcome.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

And don't forget that we are all gun nuts named Billy Bob and ride our horsies to work.

Not all of you, some of you ride cadillac's with bull horns on them. (and promptly drive off the sides of cliffs if there's a bend in the road)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

The Daily Beast? Oh please, they are posting up "bait" articles almost on a daily basis. They are a mouthpiece for the left that continues to divide the "left" and the "right" rather than shed the paradigm.

Aren't you aware that social media has been infiltrated by fake users that are paid by the government to sway discussions and alter perception?

I'm from Texas and can guarantee this is not representative of the majority. There are close-minded people in all states.

Not taking your bait, or the Beasts.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

So you see state lines as another reason for Americans to perceive themselves as divided? That's a bigger problem.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by raedar

Unfortunately for me, my experiences with people from Texas has skewed my view of the state altogether. In general many states ignite my scorn, and or ire. (I can't even post what I think of Florida, the state I live in)

How a people broadcasts themselves to the world influences opinion. Bad image branding is a much harder thing to curve away from than people realize.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I'm sorry but I don't understand how what you are doing is any different from what the morons in your op are doing.
Everyone from the middle east is a terrorist and everyone from Texas is a racist redneck?
Ummmm ...right.
You have fun with that.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Neysa

I'm sorry but I don't understand how what you are doing is any different from what the morons in your op are doing.
Everyone from the middle east is a terrorist and everyone from Texas is a racist redneck?
Ummmm ...right.
You have fun with that.

Actually I'm from Lubbock. Born and raised.

There are plenty of good reasons I'm "from" Lubbock and chose to live else where even though I still have the family farm where "haboobs" have wiped out my cotton more than once.

"Texas in my rearview mirror" is one of my favorite songs.
www.youtube.com...

Austin and Padre are OK.
edit on 17-3-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I'm in Arizona and I can't stand it when people call a dust storm a haboob, when people come up to me and ask if I seen or was affected by the haboob I look at them and say no but that was one hell of a dust storm.

Just one question what is Muslim weather?
edit on 17-3-2014 by thesaneone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

Actually you get my point just fine. Hit the nail on the head in fact.

Obviously I don't think that ALL Texans are bigoted racists. That would be pretty stupid. But these few people that remark like the remarks in the OP cloud people's judgement of the state in general.

These people are branding your state. Are you going to let them? I'm sure the positives of Texas outweigh the negatives greatly. But when these sorts of people get the microphone and spew their ignorance. It just further cements the Texas brand in a negative light.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by thesaneone

Just one question what is Muslim weather?

Personally I think it was just a meteorologist's excuse to be able to say boob on tv and get away with it.

But I think the rationale was that a singular word is quicker than two words.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Once again Texan's (and intolerant people all across the nation) have shamed this country with their ignorance. Western culture has derived a lot of things from the middle east including our Numbers.

I can't say that I'm surprised over the hubbub about the word haboob!

People have no idea how much of our culture derives from the Arab influences.

edit on 17-3-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

The only way to deal with such ignorant vocal minorities is to ignore them. They are ridiculous and so are the people who give their stupid little words any significance. Like a toddler who is acting out for attention, the best thing to do is not give it to them. Kind of like not feeding the trolls....ehem.
I'm not from Texas originally but after 30 something years here, I have met alot of Texans and overall they are just like the majority elsewhere.
Generous, hard working people.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I dont fully blame the "typical American".

They/we are being programmed/brain washed to see Moslems/Islam as the new enemy.

As most of you know, America NEEDS an enemy.

If you can believe this, the Military Industrial Complex is getting more tax payer money now than it did during the nuclear arms race with the USSR during the cold war...

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Is that where the word hubbub came from?
Huh! Learn something new every day! (My motto).

TO THE OP: There are many words in our language that come from other languages. many many many

Language is a living thing - it changes and grows, adapts and evolves. What do you call the little grains of ice that sometimes fall on cold, wet days? I thought it was 'grat'. Then I learned it is 'graupel'. A German word. Does that mean anyone mentioning small ice pellets are Nazis?

My state has some shameful characters, as does every other state in the Union. As far as Texas seceding, well, whatever...
that state was stolen from "Mexicans" anyway.
My state (and many others) retain the names of the indigenous people who lived here before Europeans arrived; and no doubt there were other humans that were invaded or driven out by those we think of as 'native americans' also.

edit on 3/17/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

I have absolutely no doubt that many Texans are generous hard working people.

But that goes against the image branding Texas has been cultivating for years. It's not just me that has this unfounded and narrow minded view on Texans in general, this is the image that many Texans WANT the world to see.

I had the unfortunate opportunity to visit Texas on a couple different occasions. The first time was a layover at an airport. I ran outside to smoke a cigarette, when I turned to come back in, I was greeted with a rather large sign actually telling people to not bring firearms into the airport. (they actually had to tell people in Texas to not bring a gun into the airport.)

The second time I was taking a bus across the state, the landscape reminded me of the road warrior.

Image branding is important to how the world sees a place. When you think of Vermont, do you think seedy hellhole of despair and apocalyptic doom? Probably not, I myself think of quiet B&Bs run by quaint older married couples. Is it a fair representation of Vermont? Probably not. But it's a generalization.

It's product branding. If you don't like how your state is being viewed and branded in the public eye, do something about the people who are really causing the negative marketing of the Texas brand.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join