It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frightening shark attack caught on point-of-view video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
What a douchy shark! I guess he was just super hungry and thought, Who is this guy with the bucket snatching up all the fish? Not today!

all kidding aside, glad the guy makes a safe escape, although he had to spar a bit.

As this sensational video shows, culling lionfish is not without its risks. Jason endorses support of organizations like REEF.org to help with their marine conservation and education programs.

This post has admittedly little to do with aquariums except one very important lesson (one we've made many times before): NEVER dispose of your aquarium contents - livestock, substrate/decoration, even water - into local bodies of water. Irresponsible actions like this not only potentially upend native ecosystems with invasive species but also endanger people who have to clean up your mess.

www.advancedaquarist.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

I had to log in to say, that guy is an absolute B.A. Looks like he went into fight mode and it saved his life. Side note on the dumping fish subject, any fish owners you can always see if your local store will do a trade in for credit or cash, that way you can humanely and safely rid yourself of an expensive habit

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

To be honest, since dude is out there pulling wild animals out of their homes for profit, I was kinda hoping to see him get mangled a bit. I guess fishing is fishing, but to yank a living creature out of its natural habitat only to become home decor seems exploitative.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Oh man, that was one pesky shark...cue the JAWS music at that end...

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I don't think he was in any real danger. He was bigger than the shark.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

If you check the link out"a noble diver culling invasive lionfish in the Caribbean"

It's not their natural habitat.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by NerdGoddess

The big problem with that is that depending on what it is you bought, they may not take it back. I know at least with the freshwater side of the hobby, there are plenty of tankbusters that get sold as cute, little fishies and rapidly turn into tank-destroying monster fish. If you try to trade them in, many stores won't take them because they only have very limited space for the tankbusters, and there are very few people who buy the really big fish because it's expensive to house them properly.

Your best defense is to research what it is you're buying and find out how big it's expected to get as an adult and plan to buy a tank to accommodate its adult size from the very beginning or to avoid it altogether.

The saltwater side of the hobby may be somewhat different. I never dealt with it.

As for the shark, maybe he's part of a lionfish protection racket or:

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Pretty gutsy to be actively looking for Lionfish in the first place, IMO. In the shark's defence, the guy was stealing his lunch. He's competing for food as far as the shark's concerned. Interesting video, though. Great quality.

top topics

join