It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU, US impose sanctions against Russian officials over Crimea referendum

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

As I was saying...

ATS Thread on Ukraine

Dolby_X

Duma is set to consider legislation that would allow the Russian Federation to absorb territories now within other states. Indeed, according to Leonid Slutsky, the chairman of the Duma Committee on the CIS, if adopted, it would allow Russia to recover Crimea and other territories on the post-Soviet space.

www.interpretermag.com...

Former Soviet borders are being reconsidered - Pravda

The Crimea precedent will make us look differently at similar issues in the Former Soviet Union. The problem was incited by Soviet authorities who loosely drew administrative boundaries between different regions. There are many of those who "suffered" from such actions, including, primarily, Transnistria, Karabakh, South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

The situation where ethnic enclaves are trying to reunite with their homeland has developed in the Moldavian Republic, Nagorno-Karabakh that legally belongs to Azerbaijan but de facto is controlled by Armenia, and South Ossetia and Abkhazia (their independence is not recognized by most countries, but South Ossetia and Abkhazia are subsidized from the budget of the Russian Federation). Similar situation is seen in the Fergana Valley with its territorial disputes between Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan for the enclave Shahimardan in the Batken region populated by Uzbeks. What about the areas of compact residence of Russians in Latvia, where non Latvian Russian communities began to consolidate?

In Kazakhstan, in turn, the question of the potential inclusion of Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan into Kazakhstan on the rights of autonomy is discussed. "Most of the borders in Central Asia are not natural. In the future there will be a situation when they will be reconsidered. We have to be ready for it. Borders should be without enclaves. The existing controversies will once be resolved. This may be true for Kazakhstan. As evidenced by the experience of Yugoslavia, everything can always be divided if there is such a desire," Kazakh political analyst Marat Shibutov told portal Total.kz.

This comment takes the cake -

Potential conflicts in the CIS are numerous, and they are all caused by the collapse of the Soviet Union that occurred in violation of international law. For example, autonomous regions were not given the right to determine their state affiliation.

edit on 17-3-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
after giving libya's gold ( minus the "transaction fee" I'm sure ) to venezuala when Chavez asked for his gold back, the us can't give germany her gold back, so they have to attack somebody...

the eUS is just mopping up after the bankers that raped her...
a day at the beatch, so to spaeak

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

You have brought up your concerns for the law on a few threads and have asked questions I can only assume you didn't really want to hear ..You asked earlier in this thread for some numbers about the elections and when given to you by another member ...no thanks nothing ..Same deal in the other threads and no response nothing ...what should we think of this ???

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Well put my friend. I totally agree with you.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
rt.com...

From May 2013.

The ban on Russian government officials possessing foreign assets has come into force after President Putin signed the laws. Officials can now be dismissed if they hold overseas accounts and other financial instruments.

Top state officials at different levels – from heads of country’s biggest corporations like Gazprom or Lukoil to the bosses of the country’s key state bodies like the Central Bank, can be punished if they, or their spouses or underage children, have any sort of financial asset abroad.

So they're sanctioning nothing?

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

You are forgetting to include the new residents of Crimea, the people that fled mainland Ukraine and were welcomed into Crimea.

That will account for the numbers being larger.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

shappy

You are forgetting to include the new residents of Crimea, the people that fled mainland Ukraine and were welcomed into Crimea.

That will account for the numbers being larger.

I moved it to a thread of its own.. I figured it might derail the topic of this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Ph03n1x

Sanctions were imposed when Mussolini invaded Ethiopia.
Sanctions were imposed when Ian Smith in Rhodesia declared independence (U.D.I) and defied the British government of Harold Wilson.
They were not spectacularly effective on either occasion.

The West is putting itself in an impossible position if it tries to enforce something without being prepared to use sufficient force.
I'm not recommending war. I'm recommending giving up the hardline stance and considering a negotiated compromise, perhaps based on partition.
Our policy in this dispute needs to be a little more pragmatic.

The state of Bangladesh only exists today because it broke away from Pakistan in 1971. Sometimes these things have to be accepted.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
What’s odd about these sanctions is that they didn’t sanction Putin.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Willtell
What’s odd about these sanctions is that they didn’t sanction Putin.

I believe previously said the reason was because it is very unusal to target a head of state in sanctions or visa bans.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Now Putin isn't screwing around.....

Putin is set to respond to Obama's sanctions of Russian officials with his own list. Several U.S. Senators and officials will be banned from visiting Russia, including Sen. Dick Durbin.

U.S. senators, congressmen and top Obama administration officials are sure to be on Vladimir Putin’s sanctions list; a response to the Obama Administration’s announcement on Monday that 7 Russian officials and 4 Ukrainian officials would be barred from holding assets or traveling to the United States.

Russia Will Sanction U.S. Senators

He means B-u-s-i-n-e-s-s
LOL

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I dont want to create a new topic for it.. But I give u some braking news...

After USA impose sanctions to Russia and released some from IRAN....

Iran announced while ago, that they stop giving in the entire europe (27 countries) gas and oils!!! Its fresh news..

the reason is, because what usa and eu does, is hostile against Russia and iran. So EU from tomorrow, will have no gas and oils.

So now we have Iran, Russia, China (some smaller countries) vs USA, some EU countries, turkey and israel

here is the original from russia live... politikus.ru...

Here are also some threats (yesterday news) from a russian national tv channel... www.youtube.com...

It says more or like.. USA will become a kind of radiation dust, or nuclear dust... something like that.
edit on 17-3-2014 by Ploutonas because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

PsychoEmperor

shappy
In other news, Putin scratches his backside.

This response encapsulates the very problem the west is now facing over Crimea.

Simply Crimea held a referendum and they voted to be with Russia, that should be respected, the minute an actual invasion happens, of course we should go and help, but this isn't what is happening, regardless of what America and Europe would like(beg) you to believe.
edit on 3/17/2014 by PsychoEmperor because: type

That's actually not what happened. They changed the rules so anyone could vote, Russians came over the border and voted. It would be like having a vote in Texas about joining Mexico, and 10 million Mexicans not living in Texas all vote to join Mexico, and then demand the vote be respected.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04

PsychoEmperor

shappy

Simply Crimea held a referendum and they voted to be with Russia, that should be respected, the minute an actual invasion happens, of course we should go and help, but this isn't what is happening, regardless of what America and Europe would like(beg) you to believe.

That's actually not what happened. They changed the rules so anyone could vote, Russians came over the border and voted. It would be like having a vote in Texas about joining Mexico, and 10 million Mexicans not living in Texas all vote to join Mexico, and then demand the vote be respected.

I'm sure that happened, but I'm going to dismiss it as "infinitesimal" the same way we dismiss voter fraud in America as "infinitesimal". The vast majority of all the polling of that area before, during and after shows there was always a majority who were Pro-Russian.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Ploutonas

If that is true, and the link is accurate, you should start a thread on that. It could be important.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Ph03n1x

Its Western hypocrisy at it's finest .. the West went through the back door and sponsored a coup to overthrow an elected govt. It failed miserably .. not only did they get busted on tape (and arrogantly, I might add) and on the ground, but they lost the whole piece of land to Russia ..

The West is fuming now, losing not only face, but ground on which to place their missile defense shield ..which was an act of war to begin with ..
To cry foul when people elect to do what they want, is just stupid ..the West need to respect other peoples' wishes in a far away land .. but wait.. how can they, when they don't even respect their own citizens' wishes ..

Someone rightfully said Putin plays chess, and Obama plays marbles ..
That was quite a calculated and ballzy move ..

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04

PsychoEmperor

shappy

Crimea was already predominantly pro-Russian .. just those people going to the polls is sufficient for a win, that piece of land would join Russia regardless .. there was no need for anybody to cross the border .. they had enough people in favor already ..

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

junglimogli

OccamsRazor04

PsychoEmperor

shappy

Crimea was already predominantly pro-Russian .. just those people going to the polls is sufficient for a win, that piece of land would join Russia regardless .. there was no need for anybody to cross the border .. they had enough people in favor already ..

Can you link me to the Crimean vote totals and breakdown?

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Xcathdra

junglimogli

OccamsRazor04

PsychoEmperor

shappy

Can you link me to the Crimean vote totals and breakdown?

Here you go for demographics:
en.wikipedia.org...
and
www.businessinsider.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join