It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4.4M Earthquake Strikes SoCal

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

FlyersFan
Google Earth Picture of Epi Center
It's someones back yard. I bet that pool was sloshing.

Thanks to the twit that twittered that their real estate price just plummeted, too.

"Welp honey, there goes the neighborhood. The Faults just moved in next door."

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by NightFlyer96

I'm by bundy and Santa Monica. Felt like a strong couple of jolts. I initially thought short 5.5 or something. Was surprised it was supposedly smaller.

Didn't bother to get out if bed though. Crap I work in one of those high rises on Wilshire. just great. Don't want to be there when another one hits.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

intrptr
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

I was in my bathroom washing my hands and the strangest thing occurred seconds before that EQ hit. I felt a roll of energy go through my body just seconds before.

Actually, the way you just described that it may have been the "ESP" wave. The first physical wave to arrive is the P (or Primary) wave. It is the first physical sensation we experience.

Maybe you had a psychic experience just prior to that?

edit on 17-3-2014 by intrptr because: spelling

Not sure about that...the energy wave felt real and rolled west to east. I'll tell ya one thing though, I'm gonna have a talk with my two dogs because both of them were sleep and never did get up. They're still sleeping, like nothing ever happened.

I think they had their "EQ Tuners turned off"!
edit on 3/17/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Ever since I was a kid I've noticed that. It's gotta be some wave that can be felt but not heard. It's instantly familiar and gets your attention then BAM! Earthquake

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

ThePublicEnemyNo1
reply to post by intrptr

I was in my bathroom washing my hands and the strangest thing occurred seconds before that EQ hit. I felt a roll of energy go through my body just seconds before. It felt like being next to a huge speaker and feeling the sound waves emanating. Then Bang! I thought briefly for a second, "what the heck was that", then the quake hit.

Not sure if anyone else noticed that.

ETA
So, I guess I felt the P wave before the jolt? Just read your link.

Thanks for the info 👍
edit on 3/17/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

Glad to read everyone's OK. I live in a seismic zone elsewhere and like you when I felt that sensation during one of our quakes, I also heard a loud rumble like the sick motor on a humungous truck idling outside. Afterwards I was left with a ringing in the ears and a funny feeling in my chest for about an hour. So my question to you is whether you had any similar residual sensations?

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

kushness

bkaust

kushness
Centered inland in Westwood, CA. Is this the beginning of something more to come given the 6.9 that just struck off the coast of San Fransisco? Hopefully not. Stay safe.

Last time I checked, san fran was not in Oregon..

What? 6.9 Earthquake Rocks San Francisco

Odd. Why is that newspaper article calling it 'rocks San Francisco' when the epicenter was way up near the Oregon border, 250 miles away from SF? They barely felt it, same as here in Southern Oregon.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
When it hit ,Live on the air.

vine.co...

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
If you look quickly, you will see the quake that hit on the graph.

Looks like there was a smaller one prior to the 4.4.

Quake cam in Los Angeles

Watch a live news stream of the quake cam in the KABC-TV newsroom, covering Los Angeles and Southern California.

live cam link

If you missed it this time around, it will come around again. Not sure how long it takes.
edit on 17-3-2014 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MrLimpet

I have been watching the live cam since the 4.4 earthquake . Wonder why the lines continue to be so wiggly looking ?

Something still going on ??

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

screenshot for posterity, the live drum will eventually move on to the next day

that one "prior" is actually after, a line down on the graph, about an hour later, M2.7
earthquake.usgs.gov...

edit on 03u757514 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

iprotectwildlife

I have been watching the live cam since the 4.4 earthquake . Wonder why the lines continue to be so wiggly looking ?

Something still going on ??

I was thinking the same thing. The upper lines are smooth & thin. The lines appearing now are shaky & darker.

Muzzy, Olivine or others~ please give your thoughts and expertise

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

The background "jiggling" is caused by automobile traffic.
The image below shows the location of the ABC7 drum. (ignore the earthquakes on the map--those are from January--I just reused the image, lol)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

I think that sensation is caused by infrasound, generated by the P-wave, as suggested by intrptr. Earthquake waves are very low frequency, lower than human hearing can detect, but you can still "feel" them. It is a strange sensation.

I liken it to that Skittles commercial from a few years back, where the dude is lying on a bed of steel BB's with the heavy bass music playing--vibrating through your whole body.
edit on 3/17/2014 by Olivine because: to give credit

edit on 3/17/2014 by Olivine because: bad spelling

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

I also heard a loud rumble like the sick motor on a humungous truck idling outside…

I can't find the link… somewhere I read that a seismic trembler is silent.

What we actually hear is all the man made stuff around us rattling.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

jimmyx

it's ok...there are people back east that think Colorado is out west...even though it's 1000 miles inland from the Pacific ocean. that like saying Iowa is back east because it's also 1000 miles from the Atlantic ocean

Really?
If you live in the east then wouldn't Colorado be out west? If I live in Washington state then yes Iowa is in the east.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

intrptr
reply to post by aboutface

I also heard a loud rumble like the sick motor on a humungous truck idling outside…

I can't find the link… somewhere I read that a seismic trembler is silent.

What we actually hear is all the man made stuff around us rattling.

Maybe it's because I live atop granite? Thing is, there was a little cupboard rattling when we had our 5.0, but the sound I'm talking about was quite distinct from that, and there was no traffic nor trucks at the time.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I was in my bathroom washing my hands and the strangest thing occurred seconds before that EQ hit. I felt a roll of energy go through my body just seconds before. It felt like being next to a huge speaker and feeling the sound waves emanating. Then Bang! I thought briefly for a second, "what the heck was that", then the quake hit.

You describe perfectly what I've often experienced in my sleep. Just before a quake hits,
it wakes me up with exactly what you just articulated so eloquently.

And indeed a 4.4 seems to be a mid range for EQs. Most likely the severity can be mild
or ferocious according to depth and location. Fifteen minutes from the epi, puts you
in a precarious situation by location. No where to run. The times are right and I think
everyone should be paying attention. Can't predict anything and you are in quake country.
Just remember panic is always wrong and paranoia is only good if you're paranoid enough. (Phage)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

BASSPLYR

Ever since I was a kid I've noticed that. It's gotta be some wave that can be felt but not heard. It's instantly familiar and gets your attention then BAM! Earthquake

Exactly...you can feel it and I swear I saw it. I was just waking up though, so maybe I was in my usual morning blur 👉😜

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kushness

Recent increased activity on the San Andreas. Keeping eyes and ears open.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Chris Schauble's reaction to the EQ is priceless.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join