It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine sacrifices his life for others in grenade blast

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:
dh

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Bollox, Herr ed , we're in the forefront because that's our place to be
It's all by design
The world isn't an interplay of accidental forces
It's a controlled playground
The main target is the US population for start off

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by dh
Bollox, Herr ed , we're in the forefront because that's our place to be
It's all by design The world isn't an interplay of accidental forces
It's a controlled playgroundThe main target is the US population for start off

I wish I has some of that good stuff you must be smoking.

Reality - inst something you cant grasp very well.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Absurd. He saw a grenade, saw that everyone was stuck in the room, knew what was going to happen, and jumped on it. To say that its suicide is senseless. If he was suicidal then he'd've had many other oppurtunities to do himself in over there. If he picked it up and went to throw it and it went off, then he'd be dead and so would everyone else. He knew he was going to die, and his training would've let him know that there wasn't much else he could do to help everyone else. Maybe in TV and film the hero throws the grenade back, but if it were that simple then grenades wouldn't even be used no? They'd almost allways be thrown back.

If you read the story, he did pick up the grenade. It would have taken the same amount of time to throw or kick it away as it would to bring in into his body.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
If you read the story, he did pick up the grenade.

ah yes, my mistake.

"As Morrison and another Marine scrambled to escape the blast, pounding against a locked door, Peralta grabbed the grenade and cradled it into his body, Morrison said. "

It would have taken the same amount of time to throw or kick it away as it would to bring in into his body.

also from the report

"Peralta, 25, as platoon scout, wasn't even assigned to the assault team that entered the insurgent safe house in northern Fallujah, Marines said. Despite an assignment that would have allowed him to avoid such dangerous duty, he regularly asked squad leaders if he could join their assault teams, they said"

So what exactly was he suicidal about? About being in dangerous situations in a war he didn't want to participate in you were suggesting?

also
""One of the first Marines to enter the house, Peralta was wounded in the face by rifle fire from a room near the entry door, said Lance Cpl. Adam Morrison, 20, of Tacoma, who was in the house when Peralta was first wounded.

Moments later, an insurgent rolled a fragmentation grenade into the area where a wounded Peralta and the other Marines were seeking cover. "
So he gets shot in the face or something, and then sees a grenade rolled in. He doesn't have time to pick itup, decide where it should be thrown, and then throw it. I mean, come one, how can you seriously propose that the guy was just suicidal and picked that way to kill himself? Its not just as reasonable to say that he did it to protect his comrades. He brought it into his body. its a grendade, its meant to kill people, he didn't have to sheild them from the blast. ANd thats what he did, he used his body to sheild his compatriots who were banging against this locked door from the deadly explosion and saved their lives. His actions tell one what he was doing, he was saving his compatrtiots. humans often have these kinds of impulses, and are known to go thru great lengths to protect other people, especially people that they've been working with, like in the military. This guy sacrificed his very life to do this. Don't just casually say, 'well who knows, you weren't there, maybe it was suicide', at least not without something to actually suggest that it was. Is it so undreasonable to think that a guy who was so obviously 'gun-ho' does this?

infact I am surprised that no one has brought that up, at least that I noticed. That he wasn't some sort of super gun-ho 'oh man, i'd love to die for my country, i sure hope i can get killed over there' type.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I cant believe yall are trying to turn this Brave Mans actions into a sucide attempt or worse yet an shapeshifting reptile plot to take over the world.

Yall should be ashamed of your selves

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   

dh wrote:And you know nothing, ed, about anything except death for the flag and for the cause

It must be pretty tough to live a life in which you do not believe or trust anything. It would be best if you died in a flaming car wreck in which no one could come to your rescue because that's the way you think it should be . Right, dh!

HOW DOES EXTREME PRESUMPTION FEEL LIKE COMING BACK AT YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[edit on 11/25/2004 by bodebliss]

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Okay everyone, A MAN DIED. Who cares why he did it??? You don't know that but the fact of the matter is he died and two Marines survived because of it.

As for the person who said the real heroes never come home, that's not true. There was a Marine in a different time who jumped on a grenade and saved the lives of like 10 other Marines and he lived to tell the story. I say he caught a break, but I thought it was just wonderful he survived. He definitely deserved to live after that.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Sadly things like this happen all the time. Sadly nobody hears about these heroic actions most of the time. Soldiers like Sgt. Peralta deserve to be respected and honored. I agree with Amuk, why are we turning this into a conspiricy about whether or not it was suicide or what not. War is Hell, let's not make it worse on the homefront. It doesn't matter if he was fighting in an invasion for oil or if it was a defensive war, he gave his life to protect the lives of others. I expect that Sgt. Peralta should recieve the Medal of Honor.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78 I expect that Sgt. Peralta should recieve the Medal of Honor.

If he doesn't get it then I will be ashamed. But there are people that will try to stop it because of the war, hell this board is full of them. This man should get it post humously......

He deserves it....

May God Bless his soul and his family.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 12:37 AM
link   
The strongest factor against Peralta's getting the Medal of Honor is his having been a Marine. The Marine Corps is very conservative about awarding medals. It will be the men in his unit who will decide what medal, if any, he will be recommended for and then it will go up the chain-of-command. If it is determined that Peralta did indeed sacrifice his life for the benefit of his squad, then I would say that it is all but a given that the CMH will be awarded posthumously.

[edit on 04/11/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 12:44 AM
link   
One of the first Marines to enter the house, Peralta was wounded in the face by rifle fire from a room near the entry door, said Lance Cpl. Adam Morrison, 20, of Tacoma, who was in the house when Peralta was first wounded.

Moments later, an insurgent rolled a fragmentation grenade into the area where a wounded Peralta and the other Marines were seeking cover.

As Morrison and another Marine scrambled to escape the blast, pounding against a locked door, Peralta grabbed the grenade and cradled it into his body, Morrison said. While one Marine was badly wounded by shrapnel from the blast, the Marines said they believe more lives would have been lost if not for Peralta's selfless act.

"He saved half my fire team," said Cpl. Brannon Dyer, 27, of Blairsville, Ga.

more

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Damn all you that speak harshly of this man's death, after all, he gives you the right to criticize the government, and you belittle him.

"It's the soldier, not the reporter who gives you the freedom of the press.

It's the soldier, not the poet who gives you the freedom of speech.

It's the soldier, not the campus organizer who allows you to demonstrate.

It's the soldier, who salutes the flag, serves the flag, whose coffin is draped with the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag!!!"
- John Hagee

[edit on 26-11-2004 by reflux]

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 02:43 AM
link   
This is a public internet conspiracy forum. If you cannot handle people presenting their view, whatever it may be, you shouldn't come here. Ed, there are plenty of your threads/posts that could be construed as "baiting", or seeking to lure liberals etc. out. You didn't honestly believe that others would not post the views you are so sickend by, did you? Wake up man. I think you knew, and it was evident in your amazement that nobody had posted anything against the marine, yet. You basically asked for it with that.

I think what the marine did, as it would appear, was a selfless and brave act. I'm just saddened that he had to give his life for such a dubious war. But that is my opinion, I own it.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I would call this a truely heroic action by an individual , saving lives of his fellow soldiers, however some brave german soldiers and russian soldiers have done the same in WW2, but that doesn't rub off to making the actions of Hitler or Stalin heroic (allthough the spindoctors would like to believe you otherwise, sluting flags, just causes, blessed by God or Allah blablablablah) see what i am getting at? same goes for "Granny goes to war"....

All good stuff to boost the moral of troops who badly need a moral boost because the conflict takes much longer than expected and might begin to wonder WTF are we doing here?

In wars all sides like to put the few heroes in the bright spotlight (wether they define hero as being a marine giving his live for his fellow soldiers or suicide bomber giving his live for allah), so that the public doesn't pay attention to the guys with questionable motives operating in the dark background...

[edit on 26-11-2004 by Countermeasures]

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Hey Countermeasures,

Your talking about Cheney aren't you?

[edit on 11/26/2004 by bodebliss]

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Yeh , i am the EDIT kind of poster, call it the Kerry syndrome

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   
You guys are gonna hate me for this and I don�t blame you but�.

Big deal! These �terrorists� blow themselves up every day for the �greater good�. Just coz sum American dies to save his buddies rather than revenge for his dead family or whatever both take/took their lives for others. Yet I don�t hear much applause Muslim extremists?

Don�t get me wrong, a have the utmost respect for this man and I only whish I had the courage to do the same thing for my friends. But at the end of the day he took his life for what he believed was right. And actually if he was already wounded and that close to it I doubt he would have been able to get away if he tried so he may as well have �grabbed the grenade and cradled it into his body�.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
this man was a true hearo.
i dont know if i could have done that.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old,
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them."

as for all those who shout and boo at these soldiers and cry victory when one of them goes home in a box , i feel no shame for you nor pity nor hate.

there is a british song that sort of describes this moment. i know its a british song and its about a british soldeir but i think its apropriate.

"In the station, in the City, A British Soldier stood
Talking to the people there, If the people would
Some just stared in hatred, And others turned in pain
And the lonely British Soldier, Wished he was back home again
Come join the British Army, Said the posters in his town
See the World and have your fun, Come serve before the Crown
The jobs were hard to come by, And he could not face the dole
So he took his Countries Shilling, And enlisted on the role
But, there was no fear of fighting, The Empire was long was lost
Just ten years in the Army, Getting paid for being bossed
Then leave a man experienced, A man whose made the grade
A medal and a pension, Some men present a trade
Then came the call to Ireland, As the call had come before
Another bloody chapter, In an endless civil war
The Priests they stood on both sides, The Priests they stood behind
Another fight in Jesus name, The blind against the blind
The Soldier stood between them, Between the whistling stones
And then the broken bottles, That lead to broken bones
The petrol bombs that burned his hands, The nails that pierced his skin
And wished that he�d stayed at home, Surrounded by his kin
The station filled with people, The soldier was soon was bored
But, better in the station, Than where the people warred
The room filled up with Mothers, With daughters and with sons
Who stared with itchy fingers, At the soldier and his guns
A yell of fear, The screech of brakes, A shattering of glass
The window of the station, Broke to let the package pass
A scream came from the Mothers
As they ran towards the door, Dragging children crying
From the bomb upon the floor, The soldier stood
And could not move, His gun he could not use
He knew the bomb had seconds and not minuets on the fuse
He could not run to pick it up, And throw it in the street
There were far too many people there, Too many running feet
�Take cover� yelled the soldier, �Take cover� for your lives
And the Irishmen threw down their young, And stood before their wives
They turned towards the Soldier, Their eyes alive with fear
For God�s sake save our children, or their end their short lives here
The Soldier moved towards the bomb, his stomach like a stone
Why? Was this his Battle God, Why was he alone?
He lay down on the package, and he murmured one farewell
To those at home in England, to those he loved so well
He saw the sights of summer, felt the wind upon his brow
The young girls in the city parks, how precious were they now
The soaring of the Swallow, the beauty of the Swan
The music of the turning Earths, so soon would it be gone
A muffled soft explosion, and the room began to quake
The Soldier blown across the floor, His blood a crimson lake
They never heard Him cry or shout, they never heard Him moan
And they turned their children�s faces from the blood and from the bone
The crowd outside soon gathered, and the Ambulances came
To carry off the body of a pawn lost in a game
And the crowd they clapped and jeered and they sang their rebel songs
One Soldier less to interfere where he did not belong
But will the children growing up learn at their mother�s knee
The story of the Soldier who bought their liberty
Who used his youthful body, as the means towards the end
Who gave His life to those who called Him murderer not friend......"

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by cargo
This is a public internet conspiracy forum. If you cannot handle people presenting their view, whatever it may be, you shouldn't come here. Ed, there are plenty of your threads/posts that could be construed as "baiting", or seeking to lure liberals etc. out. You didn't honestly believe that others would not post the views you are so sickend by, did you? Wake up man. I think you knew, and it was evident in your amazement that nobody had posted anything against the marine, yet. You basically asked for it with that.

I had not expected the anti-soldier remarks to the degree that I saw them, this was not a 'bait' post. It was just to show that good people do good things and the man deserved to be recognized for it.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
I had not expected the anti-soldier remarks to the degree that I saw them, this was not a 'bait' post. It was just to show that good people do good things and the man deserved to be recognized for it.

for once ed i think we actually agree on something here.
why all the anti soldier remarks?
isnt this a time for mourning?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join