It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine sacrifices his life for others in grenade blast

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Now this is more like what the American Soldier is like,

FALLUJAH, Iraq � Sgt. Rafael Peralta built a reputation as a man who always put his Marines' interests ahead of his own.

He showed that again, when he made the ultimate sacrifice of his life Tuesday, by shielding his fellow Marines from a grenade blast.

"It's stuff you hear about in boot camp, about World War II and Tarawa Marines who won the Medal of Honor," said Lance Cpl. Rob Rogers, 22, of Tallahassee, Fla., one of Peralta's platoon mates in 1st Platoon, Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment.

Peralta, 25, as platoon scout, wasn't even assigned to the assault team that entered the insurgent safe house in northern Fallujah, Marines said. Despite an assignment that would have allowed him to avoid such dangerous duty, he regularly asked squad leaders if he could join their assault teams, they said.

Marine sacrifices his life for others in grenade blast

edit:

The Marines said such a sacrifice would be perfectly in character for Peralta, a Mexico native who lived in San Diego and gained U.S. citizenship after joining the Marines.

A True American

SAN DIEGO -- The death of a Marine who acted as head of his family has left a void that will be hard to fill

[edit on 25-11-2004 by edsinger]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Back in the 80's when I was still with my ex-wife, she told me of one of her exes who did the exact same thing - I don't remember the exact story because it was so long ago but I think it was something to do with the IRA.

I remember thinking when she told me, that I wish I could have met this man and bought him a drink.

Same for Sgt. Peralta.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I have heard stories of guys jumping on grenades in Vietnam to save their buddies. Man that takes a special breed of soldier to do something like that.

Guys like this are the true war heros not the guys that come back with all the medals. Some of the best and bravest never come home

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I salute Sargeant Peralta.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I too wish to salute Sgt. Peralta who made the ultimate sacrifice for God, Country and the Corp., but most importantly for his buddies.

Godspeed to you sir,
Bleys

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
A great American. A selfless person. A true Hero. Bless you Sgt. Peralta.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Thats an amazing story of an amazing person. I wish i could thank him or do something for him and his family. I have the utmost respect for every American Soldier and service member who serves our country so proudly... thank you sgt. Peralta for your sacrafice and bravery and thank you to everyone who is serving and has served. I hope some of them see this and smile, it's the least I can do for everything they've given for me...

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
All I can say is WOW!

True heroism, and a true American...

God Bless, Sir!

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
That is a TRUE Marine.

I hate the war, but not the ones who fight it.

Semper Fi.

LL1

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I salute you Sgt. Rafael Peralta, RIP...

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
God bless his soul, a true Hero.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   
God bless this soldier and his family. This is a true American hero. Our prayers are with his family.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
This act of selflessness and honor should be taught in school. True American hero's are not sports celebrities or musicians.

God Speed and Semper Fi.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   

As Morrison and another Marine scrambled to escape the blast, pounding against a locked door, Peralta grabbed the grenade and cradled it into his body, Morrison said. While one Marine was badly wounded by shrapnel from the blast, the Marines said they believe more lives would have been lost if not for Peralta's selfless act.

That indeed was an act of courage and unselfishness. He knew well what was to become of him when he cradled the grenade, but sacrificed himself so others wouldn't face the same fate. It's hard to say what you yourself would do in such a situation unless you were actually faced with it, but I'd like to think I'd do the same.

Being Thanksgiving tomorrow, one thing I'm especially thankful for are our brave soldiers that are sacrificing everything for us everyday. I know I'll be thinking of them often as I'm eating my turkey and watching football, they are the true heroes.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   
"Let us not ask God why young men such as these should die in war. Let us rather thank God that such men lived." General George Patton

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   
A true hero

May he rest in peace

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   
A noble death, from an obviously noble man.

Deep

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
"Let us not ask God why young men such as these should die in war. Let us rather thank God that such men lived." General George Patton

Damn Grady, that is awesome!

I like Patton more and more...

You know, I am really surprised and want to thank all here, not one flame or bad thing said....over 200 views! Even those on the other side of the spectrum have even posted nice things. I am speechless and grateful.

Thank you.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
An honorable and courageous display of brotherhood and unselfishness.
I wish his family peace and comfort.

BG

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Here is a story of a Mexican citizen.

He moved to the states,.. and because of a program initiated by the US government that would expedite any immigrant's status to 'Citizen',.. by joining the armed forces.

And as such he was taken to war.

It could of happened any other way, he could of just taken the easy route, or he could have just ducked or ran to save his life..

But instead he instinctively did something that so few people could do in similar circumstances, he saved fellow citizen's lives by offering his own...

... and as a result, became a citizen worthy of the Medal of Honor propelling himself above and beyond the status of most ordinary citizens.

He just wanted to be an American citizen,....

And he so very well succeeded,.. and in such a short period of time.

Congressional Medal of Honor

[edit on 25-11-2004 by smirkley]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join